Philosophy of the Hard Problem

57 Replies, 2157 Views

(2022-06-13, 09:44 AM)tim Wrote: When I look back over my "life", I can easily imagine that most things occurred because they were supposed to and those that didn't occur, were not supposed to. I feel that because of the sheer number of bizarre coincidences that occurred, some so extraordinary, that I don't believe they were coincidences at all, now. I get the feeling that we may broadly choose our lives, even choosing disaster and deadly peril, but why anyone would choose some of the terrible situations that occur here, "god" only knows.

Along those lines, I find it extraordinary just what people will do for fun. They will intentionally plunge themselves into all sorts of hazardous activities. I know someone who is in the UK armed forces, and he said that the prospect of going to fight abroad is seen by most as an exciting opportunity!

Alternatively, there is the guy who climbed Half Dome without ropes or safety equipment!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adven...el-capitan

I think this makes the idea that we choose our lives including terrible disasters, rather more plausible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes David001's post:
  • tim
(2022-06-13, 11:27 AM)David001 Wrote: Along those lines, I find it extraordinary just what people will do for fun. They will intentionally plunge themselves into all sorts of hazardous activities. I know someone who is in the UK armed forces, and he said that the prospect of going to fight abroad is seen by most as an exciting opportunity!

Alternatively, there is the guy who climbed Half Dome without ropes or safety equipment!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adven...el-capitan

I think this makes the idea that we choose our lives including terrible disasters, rather more plausible.

I agree, David. And yes, I saw that incredible achievement. It troubles me a great deal because I find it hard to understand and I have to admit that I'm also envious that anyone could ever pull that off, because I never could, no matter how many lives I lived (but I'm very glad he did). 

Success or death, with no in between. What is that ? Extreme courage? Craziness/foolishness ?
(This post was last modified: 2022-06-13, 01:16 PM by tim. Edited 2 times in total.)
(2022-06-13, 11:19 AM)David001 Wrote: Possibly that is true, but doesn't that rather imply that the entity that set those rules up, either made a mistake or needed to experiment because he couldn't foresee how they would develop?

It certainly might suggest that although perhaps we’re looking at it through a human perspective. There are many things that happen in life aren’t there that an all powerful all-knowing god might intervene in but doesn’t appear to. 

Does creation  need to be a fully deterministic process? Fancy having your creation on earth destroyed by a meteor? Lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obiwan's post:
  • tim
(2022-06-13, 04:40 PM)Obiwan Wrote: There are many things that happen in life aren’t there that an all powerful all-knowing god might intervene in but doesn’t appear to. 

True but just to play devil's advocate some would say that he had intervened. Another separate take on it (as god's apologist) might be that if he intervened, he would have to intervene incessantly which one could argue might ruin the whole point of life. I don't necessarily subscribe to that, though. I would always intervene but then again who'd have me as god Wink .
(This post was last modified: 2022-06-13, 04:52 PM by tim. Edited 2 times in total.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Typoz
(2022-06-13, 04:51 PM)tim Wrote: True but just to play devil's advocate some would say that he had intervened. Another separate take on it (as god's apologist) might be that if he intervened, he would have to intervene incessantly which one could argue might ruin the whole point of life. I don't necessarily subscribe to that, though. I would always intervene but then again who'd have me as god Wink .

Vote Tim! Tim for president! Tim for God?!#*!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Obiwan
(2022-06-13, 05:20 PM)Typoz Wrote: Vote Tim! Tim for president! Tim for God?!#*!!

Oh, gawd, Typoz please don't.
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Typoz, Obiwan
(2022-06-13, 04:51 PM)tim Wrote: True but just to play devil's advocate some would say that he had intervened. Another separate take on it (as god's apologist) might be that if he intervened, he would have to intervene incessantly which one could argue might ruin the whole point of life. I don't necessarily subscribe to that, though. I would always intervene but then again who'd have me as god Wink .

I agree. I’d ask what’s  the evidence god intervened? There are, as you know, very many who think god does intervene incessantly provided you have the right beliefs of course lol
(This post was last modified: 2022-06-13, 05:37 PM by Obiwan. Edited 2 times in total.)
  • tim
(2022-06-13, 05:33 PM)tim Wrote: Oh, gawd, Typoz please don't.

I can’t see how Tim could do any worse lol
  • tim
(2022-06-13, 05:36 PM)Obiwan Wrote: I agree. I’d ask what’s  the evidence god intervened?

Lol, ask Typoz !
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Typoz, Obiwan
(2022-06-13, 05:36 PM)Obiwan Wrote: I can’t see how Tim could do any worse lol

I think I probably could, come to think of it...
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Obiwan

• View a Printable Version