People that sit on the both side what do you think about the propnet and skeptic?

100 Replies, 7704 Views

(2019-06-25, 01:13 PM)Steve001 Wrote: There are many reasons why that is unlikely. Oleo expressed 2 in post 31.

I think the reason is that they know they would fail, so the claimants will not apply for such a task. I stand by the idea that macro PK doesn't exist, or somebody would have already proven it eventually. Or wom the Randi challenge.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Raf999's post:
  • Max_B
(2019-06-25, 12:52 PM)Max_B Wrote: Nope... we'll stay on this forum thanks, rather than what I think is a sneaky attempt to try and move it out of the Skeptic vs Proponent forum... to prevent other Skeptics contributing further...
That's just offensive, Max. Read the forum rules. Sceptics can contribute anywhere on this site.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
(2019-06-25, 12:21 PM)diverdown Wrote: You seem to think as though it is such a negative thing to have an opinion such as Oleo's. Narcissistic is a bit much, no?

Negative in so far as it only permits one to see the world not as it is, but as they wish it to be. I'm not labeling Oleo as such only that perspective. Also it's negative because emphasis is on mystery rather than knowledge.The universe as far as I can historically see is indifferent to any of the wants and needs of any living thing including humans extant and extinct.
(This post was last modified: 2019-06-25, 04:43 PM by Steve001.)
(2019-06-25, 04:33 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Negative in so far as it only permits one to see the world not as it is, but as they wish it to be. I'm not labeling Oleo as such only that perspective. Also it's negative because emphasis is on mystery rather than knowledge.The universe as far as I can historically see is indifferent to any of the wants and needs of any living thing including humans extant and extinct.

It doesn't make sense for one to call someones perspective or viewpoint, as narcissistic. It is used to describe a persons negative overall character and behaviour, which is what I took issue with as your usage of it in this context tends to make you come across as arrogant and condescending.  I think you are seeing Oleo as you wish him/her to be, not as they are. 

Anyway, why can't mystery and knowledge be part of the same 'skill set'? Mystery as the motivation, but knowledge as the goal. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Maybe you are inferring bias being introduced if one has this mindset.
(This post was last modified: 2019-06-25, 05:00 PM by diverdown.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes diverdown's post:
  • tim
(2019-06-25, 04:20 PM)Max_B Wrote: I think it's interesting that they were both given a larger silver spoon supplied by the spoon bender, and asked to bend the bowl... we know from work hardening, that it will be dramatically harder to bend it back.

If you've ever been involved in weightlifting, you would know that knowledge that you can do-it, is a big part of the battle, as is learning the correct technique, concentration and good muscle recruitment.

They managed to bend them because the spoons are pre-treated or aren't really made out of silver. They are props. Just make them do the same thing in a controlled environement, then we'll talk. But they won't because they would be exposed as fake.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Raf999's post:
  • Max_B
(2019-06-25, 04:59 PM)diverdown Wrote: It doesn't make sense for one to call someones perspective or viewpoint, as narcissistic. It is used to describe a persons negative overall character and behaviour, which is what I took issue with as your usage of it in this context tends to make you come across as arrogant and condescending.  I think you are seeing Oleo as you wish him/her to be, not as they are. 

Anyway, why can't mystery and knowledge be part of the same 'skill set'? Mystery as the motivation, but knowledge as the goal. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Maybe you are inferring bias being introduced if one has this mindset.
Get this. I was not a commentary towards his character.
Mystery leads nowhere if that's all one desires. In my life I've known people whom only want mystery. They know nothing more about those mysteries  today than they did decades ago.
Yes, bias....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve001's post:
  • diverdown
(2019-06-25, 06:16 PM)Max_B Wrote: I got sent to bed with no tea for my troubles.

I'll bet she brought you up a little bit of something later on, Max ?

• View a Printable Version