Atomic scuffle

83 Replies, 12110 Views

(2017-09-28, 05:16 PM)jkmac Wrote: And further- if a person considers something bad to them, that doesn't mean it is bad to all, because others will view it differently.

Again- nothing is purely and universally bad.

Again- nothing is purely and universally bad.

Jeez Confused ...I didn't say it was, jkmac. But you're trying to sell me the positive aspects of being the victim of a nuclear bomb and I'm sorry but IMHO there aren't any.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 05:23 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Laird
(2017-09-28, 05:22 PM)tim Wrote: Again- nothing is purely and universally bad.

Jeez Confused ...I didn't say it was, jkmac. But you're trying to sell me the positive aspects of being the victim of a nuclear bomb and I'm sorry but IMHO there aren't any.

I'm not selling anything.

Good and bad are relative, and personal, and fickle. They are not universal truths. I can give no further explanation than I already have.

Edit- and then I DO in post 77.   LOL
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-29, 09:01 AM by jkmac.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes jkmac's post:
  • Stan Woolley
(2017-09-28, 05:32 PM)jkmac Wrote: I'm not selling anything.

Good and bad are relative, and personal, and fickle. They are not universal truths. I can give no further explanation than I already have.

I agree with this. 

However there are some things which I think we should surely oppose; like the new neighbour suddenly being a right pain by playing drums 'till all hours, or soldiers smashing a man's shoulder blades with bricks simply because he's perceived as 'not one of us'. 

Reality is much more complicated than metaphysics.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
(2017-09-28, 05:22 PM)tim Wrote: Again- nothing is purely and universally bad.

Lmao I think you’re getting  the hang of sarcasm.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 05:50 PM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obiwan's post:
  • tim
(2017-09-28, 05:22 PM)tim Wrote: ...you're trying to sell me the positive aspects of being the victim of a nuclear bomb and I'm sorry but IMHO there aren't any.

Ah, now I understand you. You don't see anything positive in dying.
(2017-09-28, 05:32 PM)jkmac Wrote: I'm not selling anything.

"I can give no further explanation than I already have."

You haven't given me an explanation as far as my side of the conversation goes, jkmac but that's okay. Thanks for the debate anyway. It's interesting to see how others tackle these questions. I certainly don't think I've got all the answers.
(2017-09-28, 06:45 PM)Pssst Wrote: Ah, now I understand you. You don't see anything positive in dying.

One positive thing would be that I'd never have to listen to "Boogie Wonderland" again.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 08:24 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Oleo
(2017-09-28, 05:42 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: I agree with this. 

However there are some things which I think we should surely oppose; like the new neighbour suddenly being a right pain by playing drums 'till all hours, or soldiers smashing a man's shoulder blades with bricks simply because he's perceived as 'not one of us'. 

Reality is much more complicated than metaphysics.

The only thing I might do is re-state my view in a slightly different way...

Good and Bad and other such words are labels that we choose to assign to things. When we do this, we color the thing with our own baggage, which sets in motion a series of assumptions and reactions in us that seem to harden into an opinion, a position. 

And by leaving aside that labeling process we avoid this hardening, and allow ourselves to see a more clear, more true, version of the thing without the calcified crust, (which is actually our label we are seeing) getting in the way, and corrupting our vision. 

If that makes sense.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-29, 08:40 AM by jkmac.)
(2017-09-28, 08:16 PM)tim Wrote: "I can give no further explanation than I already have."

You haven't given me an explanation as far as my side of the conversation goes, jkmac but that's okay. Thanks for the debate anyway. It's interesting to see how others tackle these questions. I certainly don't think I've got all the answers.

Maybe the re-stated version I just wrote does a better job.  Smile
(2017-09-29, 08:40 AM)jkmac Wrote: The only thing I might do is re-state my view in a slightly different way...

Good and Bad and other such words are labels that we choose to assign to things. When we do this, we color the thing with our own baggage, which sets in motion a series of assumptions and reactions in us that seem to harden into an opinion, a position. 

And by leaving aside that labeling process we avoid this hardening, and allow ourselves to see a more clear, more true, version of the thing without the calcified crust, (which is actually our label we are seeing) getting in the way, and corrupting our vision. 

If that makes sense.

I've been struggling with this for some time now. I think it's our ego that makes these choices, that decide to place things in 'good or bad' categories. 

What I'm struggling with is what to do about it. Should we 'ignore and rise above' the 'bad' that we see, only concentrate on the good? Will that be the answer to the world's problems? I am quite happy with the idea that we should 'improve' ourselves, it's really all that we can do. We never see people like Rupert Spira, Eckhart Tolle and many others protesting about the many things that they might. 

Still we see the evidence in nde's that our choices matter! Good and bad appear to be important, real 'things' ?

I think it's largely about the choices we make. That's why I wrote a book titled Choices: One Man's Spiritual Journey, about my journey since my stroke in 2011. 

It's really complex, yet the answers probably quite simple. I am finding the journey difficult, challenging, yet interesting, I think I have travelled a long way.  Thumbs Up
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise

• View a Printable Version