Psience Quest

Full Version: "Why I am no longer a skeptic"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

Chris

(2017-09-17, 02:45 PM)fls Wrote: [ -> ]Okay.

Yes.

Linda

In the new spirit of the new discussion boards, I've been trying to be positive and to assume everyone is genuinely interested in discussing psi, rather than games-playing. I'll try to persevere, despite the not-very-encouraging one-word answers.

So, as you do know something of the GCP, probably you're aware that it was an outgrowth of the PEAR lab's experiments on micro-PK. Perhaps you also saw my earlier post in this thread - immediately following the one you replied to, quoting J. E. Kennedy, who wrote "If there are psi effects in these data, I expect that experimenter effects will remain the most parsimonious explanation for the foreseeable future."

In the light of that, perhaps it would be easiest if you explained why you're not sure why the effects are supposed to be psi-like. Or, equivalently, what alternative non-psi mechanisms you see by which they could be produced.
(2017-09-17, 02:45 PM)fls Wrote: [ -> ]Well, this is also what you'd expect to see - a vast array of examples reinforcing the same themes - in the setting of cognitive and methodological biases, etc. So I'm not sure that helps you. I don't see why these same flaws wouldn't be relevant in any case (rather than a string of different flaws in different cases).

Linda

No I think you are wrong on that count. For example- Reincarnation and NDE and Physical mediumship do not reinforce the same themes, nor do they share any obvious mechanisms of function. 

What you have are relatively unrelated facilities that all have different arguments against. 

I am still curious if you can give an example of what you might consider to be a theoretically unassailable example of non-physical psi. 

I really want to know if satisfying your demand for strong evidence is even possible. I'm thinking it is not.
(2017-09-17, 06:45 PM)jkmac Wrote: [ -> ]No I think you are wrong on that count. For example- Reincarnation and NDE and Physical mediumship do not reinforce the same themes, nor do they share any obvious mechanisms of function. 

What you have are relatively unrelated facilities that all have different arguments against. 

I am still curious if you can give an example of what you might consider to be a theoretically unassailable example of non-physical psi. 

I really want to know if satisfying your demand for strong evidence is even possible. I'm thinking it is not.
My impression is different, I think (we may also be talking past each other). It seems to me that reincarnation, NDE and physical mediumship are about the separation of personality and memory from an earthly body. And we look at finding correspondences between statements made and our familiarity with a previous personality (or in the case of NDE, correspondences between our recollections of auditory/visual experiences and our physical environment). 

I'm not sure what you mean by "non-physical psi". Do you mean a personality in the absence of a physical body? If so, I can give you some examples - I'll wait for your confirmation or clarification. 

Linda
(2017-09-15, 02:45 PM)Roberta Wrote: [ -> ]Yes some children do identify themselves with certain characters - I think you're overstating the relevance of that though - the important part is the intimate knowledge of a deceased persons life seemingly without normal explanation. 

Just to be clear, I was not asserting that as fact, but as something to explore as part of these investigations.

Quote:I agree the research could be better (any research could be) and there is a risk of bias, but they are hampered by the nature of the work, lack of funding etc.

I agree (I've said this many times on Skeptiko), and I'm in favour of more investment into parapsychology to be able to produce higher quality studies, which often depend on sufficient funding (I'm talking generally, not just reincarnation).

But the fact remains that until those higher quality studies this should leave us with a lack of confidence in the results. Its a bit of a catch 22.

Quote:For me this research shows something interesting is going on, and I find 'normal' explanations contrived - what do you think?

I agree that something interesting is going on, and have said so often (I've used the word "intriguing" a lot as well). I don't think any current explanations have sufficient evidentiary backing at this time, though there is speculation aplenty, from multiple metaphysical outlooks. There is value to this speculation, in terms of future research.
(2017-09-17, 09:45 AM)fls Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not setting the bar unrealistically high. I'm talking about looking at where it is now and about where it would need to be in order to establish that the idea of reincarnation may be true. "The bar" is simply a recognition of where we are at in terms of methodological biases, cognitive biases, happenstance, misadventure, etc. - none of which are what we mean by "reincarnation".

Linda

Go reread your post. Your suggestions are not realistic in my opinion... if that's what is required in order to establish that in your mind, so be it. I am not certain that your suggested methods are remotely applicable to almost any of the cases. I am openly and directly disagreeing with you about those being realistic explanations for the body of research as a whole.
(2017-09-17, 09:47 PM)Dante Wrote: [ -> ]Go reread your post. Your suggestions are not realistic in my opinion... if that's what is required in order to establish that in your mind, so be it. I am not certain that your suggested methods are remotely applicable to almost any of the cases. I am openly and directly disagreeing with you about those being realistic explanations for the body of research as a whole.
I get that you disagree. I should point out that Ian Stevenson thought of at least some of these as realistic explanations, which is why he tried to perform investigations prior to identifications being made. Research aimed at addressing these concerns would settle the question. It would be nice not to be having this argument a hundred years from now.

Linda
(2017-09-17, 10:07 AM)fls Wrote: [ -> ]These factors have often explained huge bodies of cases. For example, the entire practice of medicine up until the late 19th/early 20th century was essentially explained by these factors, almost none of which survived once evidence was sought and examined. How many millions of people think homeopathy is helping them, when the research has shown these are the only factors in play?

None of this is some subjective standard I've come up with on my own - these are the factors, which when tested against, have caused vast swathes of supposed effects to disappear. Even just blinded evaluation (the suggestion I made earlier) has had a huge effect. I'm not comfortable ignoring that.

The problem is that what you describe in your second paragraph (as what "they don't do") is exactly what scientists do do. If the evidence is weak, you're not likely to run with the idea knowing that fair to good evidence is almost never forthcoming. That's not to say that some scientists won't remain interested and continue to perform research. But if weak evidence hasn't been generally persuasive, then more of the same isn't going to help. I'm more interested in finding ways to rise above that - invest in the kind of research that provides a stronger evidentiary level.

When it comes to claiming that it offers disproof of reductionism, you are in the same boat. You still need good evidence to disprove something. I don't know what you mean about putting something into a box - what box? And I'm not talking about holding it to the standards of a hard science. Psi should be very amenable to the processes which are demonstrably valid and reliable in the social sciences/medicine.  

Linda

Linda, I would like for you to suggest how bias and the other factors you listed explain a specific case. Go address it in the reincarnation thread and point out to me where those things come into play for you. Then do it for the other 50 cases in Tucker's first book, and honest to goodness try to tell me that you really and truly believe that it is more likely than not, or even remotely realistic, that those things explain all the cases away. Honestly.

The reason skeptics resort to this line of reasoning for the Tucker and Stevenson research is because they have absolutely, positively no "normal" explanation for the results. Chris just touched on this about the Global Consciousness Project, which I'm not familiar with - but I have yet to see a skeptic come up with any normal explanation at all. And I mean none, and I've looked for them. Every single response to the research is about bias, fraud, or coincidence. That is the final frontier for those trying to explain the cases away, and it is a real frontier - I'm not dismissing it. But at some point you have to look in the mirror, and wonder, "Hey, maybe I'm the reason I don't accept this evidence." Maybe your standards are so unrealistically high (they are) that there's virtually no realistic methodology that could convince you. Certainly, the methodology could be improved, though it's very hard and has little to do with the researchers themselves. As Arouet noted earlier, much of the bias and risk involved is inherent and not related to the researchers' own strategies or methods. 

I am finding myself chuckling at you "causing vast swaths of supposed effects to disappear" remark. Truly, that would astonish me kids magically stopped saying these things, and stopped remembering these facts, in light of your suggested methodological adjustments. Mostly because I am not sure that those serve any real purpose but to allow the more open minded skeptics to believe more legitimately in them or take them more seriously, and the more close minded ones to continue to raise that bar. 

As far as your commentary on my second paragraph, the reason you and I disagree is because you think it's weak evidence, and I do not. For the tenth time, that is not some objective standard. We disagree, and I think a reasoned and informed person could fall on either side of that spectrum. It doesn't seem that either you or Arouet thinks that's the case. What type of research methods do you suggest they "invest in"? Come up with some better methodology for me. Go to a couple cases and tell me what they could've done better. My second paragraph makes sense in light of belief that the evidence is of value and is useful as it is now, now that it cannot or won't improve in quality. Your response disregards that and assumes your conclusion that it's weak. Therein lies the disconnect.

For disproof of reductionism, I am most certainly not in the same boat, though I figured you would respond like that. It's an entirely different thing - so the evidentiary standard is a little different. This is, of course, if you don't outright sweepingly call all the evidence weak for risk of bias, coincidence, wishful thinking etc. I think that you'll agree it's probably more difficult to prove reincarnation than it is to indicate severe weakness in reductionism. Weakness or failure of reductionism comes as a direct result of the validity of this evidence - reincarnation does not necessarily follow. Again, the disconnect comes in that you think the evidence is obviously weak, and I don't agree. Are you seriously not sure what box I'm referencing? It's as if you're ignorant of your own position's ramifications. You have suggested that the evidence is weak and can be improved methodologically (I disagree with the former and agree - to an extent - with the latter), but have then tried to set up some ideas for how to improve the research that hardly make sense when applying them to an actual case instead of speaking generally. The box is certainly one of your own standards, which are more rooted in empirical and hard science standards whether you care to admit it or not.

Why should we use the same standards as are used in social science and medicine when they are so heavily flawed themselves? Had you considered that the standards don't necessarily verify those results adequately, since they are so frequently overturned or (in the case of the social sciences especially) involve an immense amount of speculation? And that's before we get to the fact that this is fundamentally different than the hard sciences, medicine, or even the social sciences. It's not the same thing. I'm talking specifically about reincarnation research here, NOT psi, though you insist on continually bringing it up.

How familiar are you with this research? Have you read many of the cases? Have you read the researchers notes on methodology and potential explanations? Have you for even a second considered your own standards to be something other than the objective bar for what is "good" or "reliable" evidence? Really, actually being familiar with the cases, I would be incredibly hard pressed at this point to believe that there was any chance of moving you from your position, Linda, because I don't think what you've suggested as supplements to the current methodology are reasonable suggestions. 

Of course, the most important caveat to all of this is that this entire conversation has been discussed largely without regard to specific cases, vaguely, generally, and broadly. Perhaps that's a component of our disagreement. If you're not as familiar with the cases as I'd assumed, that would explain it to a degree too.
(2017-09-17, 10:08 PM)fls Wrote: [ -> ]I get that you disagree. I should point out that Ian Stevenson thought of at least some of these as realistic explanations, which is why he tried to perform investigations prior to identifications being made. Research aimed at addressing these concerns would settle the question. It would be nice not to be having this argument a hundred years from now.

Linda

Stevenson hasn't done the research in 12-15 years. Tucker has since published 2 books on this stuff and has addressed a number of things in those books. There are other people he works with around the world who also have published those works. I find it hard to believe that Tucker, as Stevenson's protege, would outright ignore the suggestions of his predecessor if he meant to do the research as soundly as possible. 

Any idea what those realistic explanations were/are, instead of vaguely referencing them without being specific? Again, I'm informed on this research. Haven't seen a single thing to that effect, and you'd think an intelligent skeptic would be all over a suggested potential "normal" explanation from the primary researcher himself if he suggested such a thing. I have seen and read no indication of that.
(2017-09-17, 10:15 PM)Dante Wrote: [ -> ]Stevenson hasn't done the research in 12-15 years. Tucker has since published 2 books on this stuff and has addressed a number of things in those books. There are other people he works with around the world who also have published those works. I find it hard to believe that Tucker, as Stevenson's protege, would outright ignore the suggestions of his predecessor if he meant to do the research as soundly as possible. 

Any idea what those realistic explanations were/are, instead of vaguely referencing them without being specific? Again, I'm informed on this research. Haven't seen a single thing to that effect, and you'd think an intelligent skeptic would be all over a suggested potential "normal" explanation from the primary researcher himself if he suggested such a thing. I have seen and read no indication of that.
For example, he outlines some issues in the introduction in this paper. 

https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-stud...nson-1.pdf
(2017-09-17, 10:11 PM)Dante Wrote: [ -> ]Linda, I would like for you to suggest how bias and the other factors you listed explain a specific case. Go address it in the reincarnation thread and point out to me where those things come into play for you. Then do it for the other 50 cases in Tucker's first book, and honest to goodness try to tell me that you really and truly believe that it is more likely than not, or even remotely realistic, that those things explain all the cases away. Honestly.

As far as I can tell, Stevenson implies that the concerns he raised would apply in each case. And unblinded assessments would be expected to cause problems in each case in which they are used. So it isn't a matter of trying to come up with 50 different explanations for 50 different cases. It's a matter of looking at which issues are present in which cases.

Quote:The reason skeptics resort to this line of reasoning for the Tucker and Stevenson research is because they have absolutely, positively no "normal" explanation for the results. Chris just touched on this about the Global Consciousness Project, which I'm not familiar with - but I have yet to see a skeptic come up with any normal explanation at all. And I mean none, and I've looked for them. Every single response to the research is about bias, fraud, or coincidence. That is the final frontier for those trying to explain the cases away, and it is a real frontier - I'm not dismissing it. But at some point you have to look in the mirror, and wonder, "Hey, maybe I'm the reason I don't accept this evidence." Maybe your standards are so unrealistically high (they are) that there's virtually no realistic methodology that could convince you. Certainly, the methodology could be improved, though it's very hard and has little to do with the researchers themselves. As Arouet noted earlier, much of the bias and risk involved is inherent and not related to the researchers' own strategies or methods.

My point was that it wasn't just me that is doubtful, it is scientists in general. Trying to pin this on defects in my character doesn't really help you overall. Also, I'm not sure why you insist that no one has mentioned "normal" explanations for the results.

Quote:I am finding myself chuckling at you "causing vast swaths of supposed effects to disappear" remark. Truly, that would astonish me kids magically stopped saying these things, and stopped remembering these facts, in light of your suggested methodological adjustments.

Lol. Yeah, that's not what I meant. I was referring more to the proposed explanations for what the kids say, like "reincarnation". 

Quote:Mostly because I am not sure that those serve any real purpose but to allow the more open minded skeptics to believe more legitimately in them or take them more seriously, and the more close minded ones to continue to raise that bar.

I think that general scientific acceptance would count as "serving a real purpose". 

Quote:As far as your commentary on my second paragraph, the reason you and I disagree is because you think it's weak evidence, and I do not. For the tenth time, that is not some objective standard.

This is the standard I am referring to:

http://cccrg.cochrane.org/sites/cccrg.co...r_2016.pdf
http://cobe.paginas.ufsc.br/files/2014/1...e.RCT_.pdf

Quote:What type of research methods do you suggest they "invest in"? Come up with some better methodology for me. Go to a couple cases and tell me what they could've done better.

I mentioned one thing already - blinded assessments.

Quote:For disproof of reductionism, I am most certainly not in the same boat, though I figured you would respond like that. It's an entirely different thing - so the evidentiary standard is a little different.

To be honest, I don't really know what you mean by disproving reductionism. As far as I know, reductionism is simply one of a variety of tools used to investigate a problem. Sometimes it's useful and sometimes it isn't. Sometimes things can be looked at as the sum of their parts, but there are other situations where the whole has features that are not present in the parts (e.g. emergence).  

Quote:Are you seriously not sure what box I'm referencing? It's as if you're ignorant of your own position's ramifications. You have suggested that the evidence is weak and can be improved methodologically (I disagree with the former and agree - to an extent - with the latter), but have then tried to set up some ideas for how to improve the research that hardly make sense when applying them to an actual case instead of speaking generally. The box is certainly one of your own standards, which are more rooted in empirical and hard science standards whether you care to admit it or not.

Okay. I think of the hard sciences as physics and chemistry, followed by biology, and the soft sciences as sociology, psychology, anthropology, etc. The methodologies used in studying clinical medicine come from the social sciences (like validity). But I'm pretty sure I specifically stated that the standards I was using are rooted in science standards.

Please note that I entered this discussion because the claim was made that the evidence for psi is strong. 

Quote:Why should we use the same standards as are used in social science and medicine when they are so heavily flawed themselves? Had you considered that the standards don't necessarily verify those results adequately, since they are so frequently overturned or (in the case of the social sciences especially) involve an immense amount of speculation? And that's before we get to the fact that this is fundamentally different than the hard sciences, medicine, or even the social sciences. It's not the same thing. I'm talking specifically about reincarnation research here, NOT psi, though you insist on continually bringing it up.

What are you suggesting then? If attempts to use rigor are still flawed, what are you expecting to happen when less rigor is used?

Quote:How familiar are you with this research? Have you read many of the cases? Have you read the researchers notes on methodology and potential explanations?

I've read two of Ian Stevenson's books and several of his published papers. 

Quote:Have you for even a second considered your own standards to be something other than the objective bar for what is "good" or "reliable" evidence?

I don't really make up my own standards. I tend to go with the research on the subject of reliability and validity (see my links above).

Linda
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38