Psience Quest

Full Version: Is physical mediumship fraudulent?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
(2017-09-10, 11:54 AM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps that is because you are so totally convinced that you can't be fooled?

Perhaps not. Only a fool would think that.
(2017-09-06, 03:22 PM)Silence Wrote: [ -> ]I'm interested to hear about your experience.

A question that would nag at me going into such an experience would be: How can I trust what I am going to experience?  Knowing how easily our own perceptions can be 'fooled' and all.  Curious as to your thoughts here.

There is no way that I can guarantee that I'm not being fooled. That would require a huge amount of effort.

The idea is to take reasonable steps, and have good discernment , as I am not trying to determine anything with absolute scientific certainty.

These thing are all relative- for example: how do I know for absolute certainty that ANY scientific test, say a double slit test, was performed in a totally trustworthy way? I can't. So these are personal choices we all need to make. 

I think from the post I made about my experience, you can see that I outlined things I would find convincing. The things I saw, may have been caused by some non-physical entity, but they could also have been caused by someone with reasonable skills at freeing themselves from bindings. So FOR ME, it was not enough for me to say what I saw was a demonstration of anything incredible. For others, it was clearly enough.  

I can only speak for me. I would only tell you that I have a degree in engineering which includes a good amount of physics. I feel like I can use that background to help me determine what is physically possible and not possible in a given situation, unless a magician with tons of resources has decided to take part. That's simply not happening in these little, private demonstrations.

And lets face it,,, the fate of mankind doesn't rest on the outcome of my findings. If it did, I would I would use stricter controls...  Wink
(2017-09-10, 02:34 PM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]The problem may sometimes be setting realistic expectations.  I haven't  heard any contemporary reports anywhere near what was claimed for Alec Harris, Leslie Flint, John Sloan or Emily French for example.

The above was an interesting report but sounded rather pointless, assuming it was genuine.

Don't know where you've been looking for reports, but I have heard of extraordinary contemporary reports including full body manifestations of sitter's family members that they swear are the real thing.
Well that's a good question. In the past Psychic News was a good source but no longer. Where did you read these reports - or was it word of mouth?

Either way, the event you described didn't sound very evidential of survival to me - in the sense that the purported communicators don't appear to have been identified, at least not in your report.
(2017-09-10, 04:46 PM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]Well that's a good question. In the past Psychic News was a good source but no longer. Where did you read these reports - or was it word of mouth?

Either way, the event you described didn't sound very evidential of survival to me - in the sense that the purported communicators don't appear to have been identified, at least not in your report.
It wasn't for me either. Not because nothing happened, just because I couldn't, to my satisfaction, eliminate other simpler explainations.

OTOH- about 20 other people saw the evidence as convincing...

As far as other evidence,,, on this forum last week there was a video with one or more cases told. I'll get details and put in this post...

Can't find. It's the youtube of the British channel. Someone I'm sure knows which thread it's in.

EDIT- see a few posts down...
Do you mean the video presentation by Stewart Alexander?
(2017-09-10, 07:02 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean the video presentation by Stewart Alexander?

Yea Thank you.

Any possibility of putting a link here? 

Still don't know what of the many threads it appeared in.
(2017-09-10, 08:12 PM)jkmac Wrote: [ -> ]Yea Thank you.

Any possibility of putting a link here? 

Still don't know what of the many threads it appeared in.
Here it is:
http://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-24...ml#pid3553

(2017-09-10, 08:15 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Here it is:
http://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-24...ml#pid3553

Obi-
If you haven't already, I'd recommend to watch this.

Could he be a fraud? Of course, anyone could be.

But what does your gut tell you about him? Go with that. IMO.

Again after-all, the fate of the world doesn't ride on this...  Wink
Hi jkmac.
Ah now this is interesting. I haven't listened to the recording yet (I've just seen this and it's a bit late to start) but I do know people (very well) who have sat with him and, based on my opinion of their judgement, I do not think his work is fraudulent.

That said, I haven't heard any reports from them that indicate his mediumship is anywhere near the league of the people I have mentioned earlier. None of the people i know have heard anything significantly evidential of survival in their sittings with him (of course that doesn't mean other people haven't) but they have remarked on the physical phenomena which appear to significantly exceed what you reported recently, some if it with some degree of illumination.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15