Psience Quest

Full Version: Uri Geller - What do you think?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
I'm starting to suspect that raf999 is a sock puppet of Steve001 posing as someone more open to psi. Same kind of sweeping statements and assertions without depth or reasoning. Anyone who had read this thread from the beginning would know that most of us here have concluded that Geller is a showman and conjurer but, at the same time, wonder whether he actually has some psi skills too which he, early on, decided to capitalise on. 

To see raf999 attempting to argue evidence with Chris who, for me, is the most meticulous assessor of evidence we have on this forum, is frankly embarrassing. , if you haven't done so I suggest you do go back through this thread and tell us if your instant assessment of Geller (and Randi) still holds. There is a reason, after all, why Randi is not respected around here. He's an even bigger liar than Geller. He admits he's a liar. He's made a career, a reputation and a fortune out of the Geller debunking sideshow yet if Geller is nothing more than a stage magician he's still 10 times the magician that Randi is. So no, while I have my doubts about Geller, I have none about Randi: he's a liar and a cheat.
(2019-06-02, 08:48 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Raf999’s options look relatively even handed to me, and their writings are really quite different to Steve001. So I don’t agree with your assessment at all. They have a similar user name (and similar opinions) to a poster on the awareofaware blog, so I’ve speculated they might be the same person.

Care to rephrase that first sentence Max? Or am I just missing your meaning?

Chris

(2019-06-02, 08:08 AM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]I'm starting to suspect that raf999 is a sock puppet of Steve001 posing as someone more open to psi.

He doesn't seem very much like Steve001 to me.

But I do have trouble understanding why someone should be open to veridical NDEs but not remote viewing. I'd have thought the experimental evidence was much stronger for the latter, and the "boggle factor" much larger for the former.
(2019-06-02, 08:08 AM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]I'm starting to suspect that raf999 is a sock puppet of Steve001 posing as someone more open to psi. Same kind of sweeping statements and assertions without depth or reasoning. 

I don’t think so. Is there any evidence that Steve001 has ever been suspected of doing something like this? He’s been around long enough to give him the benefit of any doubt in my opinion.

Raf999 is scrambling around like a child looking for sweets imo. To dismiss remote viewing as he has, has lost him any benefit of doubt that I may have had for him. Mediocre might have been too rude imo, but he was basically right. 

I don’t agree with Max’s opening phrase either.  Unsure
(2019-06-02, 09:34 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]He doesn't seem very much like Steve001 to me.

But I do have trouble understanding why someone should be open to veridical NDEs but not remote viewing. I'd have thought the experimental evidence was much stronger for the latter, and the "boggle factor" much larger for the former.

Maybe because is is difficult to design an experiment for NDEs?
(2019-06-02, 09:38 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t think so. Is there any evidence that Steve001 has ever been suspected of doing something like this? He’s been around long enough to give him the benefit of any doubt in my opinion.

Raf999 is scrambling around like a child looking for sweets imo. To dismiss remote viewing as he has, has lost him any benefit of doubt that I may have had for him. Mediocre might have been too rude imo, but he was basically right. 

I don’t agree with Max’s opening phrase either.  Unsure

I wasn't really taking the Steve/Raf equivalence too seriously; just pointing out what I saw as similarities in approach. But you are probably right - there's probably no cause to accuse Steve of using sock puppets so I apologise to him for that.
Quote:Hi Max_B, I’m 94 percent sure that this text was written by Raf999."

Why so low?  Big Grin
(2019-06-02, 12:29 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Thought I would have a bit of fun...

So chucked all of 'Raf999's writings on here into an online AI Stylometry checker... I needed 5000 words, and there was just enough content from Raf999 to teach the AI their writing style.

Then I loaded a post from a user called 'Raf' on Awareofaware.co which I suspected as being the same person... and asked the AI to compare the writing style and give me a % for how sure it was that both authors were the same.

After analysis, the AI gave the result...

"Hi Max_B, I’m 94 percent sure that this text was written by Raf999."

That's a damn high confidence level... so I'm guessing I'm right... they are one and the same. Only Raf999 can confirm if the AI was right though? [Can you confirm?]

That was fun, if a little scary...
Yes, I am the same person Smile
NDE proponent but highly skeptical of any superpower claima  weird uh?
(2019-06-02, 12:29 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Thought I would have a bit of fun...

So chucked all of 'Raf999's writings on here into an online AI Stylometry checker... I needed 5000 words, and there was just enough content from Raf999 to teach the AI their writing style.

Then I loaded a post from a user called 'Raf' on Awareofaware.co which I suspected as being the same person... and asked the AI to compare the writing style and give me a % for how sure it was that both authors were the same.

After analysis, the AI gave the result...

"Hi Max_B, I’m 94 percent sure that this text was written by Raf999."

That's a damn high confidence level... so I'm guessing I'm right... they are one and the same. Only Raf999 can confirm if the AI was right though? [Can you confirm?]

That was fun, if a little scary...

It is Raf off Ben's blog, Max (you and me make the occasional posts there, don't we). Is there something fishy about that ? Raf says he's Italian and I have no reason to think he's lying but of course he could be. Reading through this thread, I do agree, Raf is jumping to conclusions about Geller far too quickly. But more to the point, is anyone on here basing their pro-psi opinions on what Geller did, don't think so.

He seems to accept veridical OBE's based on the case reports. In my opinion, they are the most "evidential" of any paranormal phenomena because the person's brain isn't functioning.

Edit: This forum is the only one I post on apart from the occasional post on Ben's blog.

Chris

(2019-06-02, 01:26 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I am the same person Smile
NDE proponent but highly skeptical of any superpower claima  weird uh?

I just don't understand how you can be convinced that remote viewing is impossible, and at the same time be open to veridical (extra-sensory) perception during an NDE. If one is possible, why not the other?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27