Psience Quest

Full Version: Uri Geller - What do you think?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
(2019-06-01, 08:27 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably, the fact is that Uri has been caught exploiting this to fake the spoon bending. Look at the coincidences:

He picks the middle spoon, the one that looks bend at 6:00.
He instructs the other man to put his finger in a way that covers the previous bending to the close up of the camera.
The other man is, willingly or not, applying pressure to the spoon shaft.

It's too much to not look like a trick, and surely enough to say that, in any case, this demonstration can't be taken as real. This is summed to his obvious kicks to the table looking for the water canister.

I know it hurts when a psi case gets debunked, but that is truth with Uri. I would really like Psi to be real, but right now there is no confirmed TK and while Randi surely isn't friendly he sometimes is right. And something close to this happened to ninel kulagina too, it is clear that researchers can be tricked by magicians (mostly because they don't want to take the needed precautions), and I think that was the case with her too. 

There is also, after all, a reason why Randi's prize was never claimed, or TK ever demonstrated. Because they can't really do it. Unlike NDEs and a few mediumship cases, which look credible, TK and remote viewing are, as far as we know, fake or delusions.

Sacrilegious words Horror

Chris

(2019-06-01, 08:27 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]There is also, after all, a reason why Randi's prize was never claimed, or TK ever demonstrated. Because they can't really do it. Unlike NDEs and a few mediumship cases, which look credible, TK and remote viewing are, as far as we know, fake or delusions.

You seem to be addicted to sweeping statements.
I don't see any reason either to believe Montalban's "pressure" did anything to the spoon. It was either already bent (most likely), or something anomalous occurred (less likely).

Chris

(2019-06-01, 08:45 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see any reason either to believe Montalban's "pressure" did anything to the spoon. It was either already bent (most likely), or something anomalous occurred (less likely).

I agree. As for Geller telling him to press it, when he said that he was clearly trying to get him to lay his finger flat along it, which is the last thing he would want to do if he'd been trying to bend it.
(2019-06-01, 08:43 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]You seem to be addicted to sweeping statements.

I asked on a different thread for verifiable, tested TK (macro TK). There was none.

No videos, no proofs, not even well made tests (Kulagina was even tested at her home, I mean no serious researcher would take that in consideration).
It's the exact same thing with remote viewing, the only case with some decent effects has been spoiled by how sloppy the researcher was, being sleeping while the subject could have just stood up and read the numbers instead of having an OBE.

Also, Para-Researchers like to make things overly complicated because they need results. You wanna prove remote viewing? Fine, get the claimant in a room and you throw a 10, or a 100 sided dice in another one inside a box. Then, on the phone, ask for the number to the claimant. Repeat the test until you have a huge sample to test it with statistical relevance.

So far, nobody did this. Because nobody can do remote viewing. Parapsychological testing is made in a way that will always give positive results because, just like pseudo skeptics, the researchers are biased and follow an agenda.
Well that's a sweeping statement! Big Grin

Chris

(2019-06-01, 08:52 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]I asked on a different thread for verifiable, tested TK (macro TK). There was none.

I gave you an example (the Random Mechanical Cascade experiments at the PEAR lab) and you said it looked interesting.

But perhaps the problem is that you're not really defining what you mean by macro-PK.

(2019-06-01, 08:52 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, Para-Researchers like to make things overly complicated because they need results. You wanna prove remote viewing? Fine, get the claimant in a room and you throw a 10, or a 100 sided dice in another one inside a box. Then, on the phone, ask for the number to the claimant. Repeat the test until you have a huge sample to test it with statistical relevance.

So far, nobody did this. Because nobody can do remote viewing. Parapsychological testing is made in a way that will always give positive results because, just like pseudo skeptics, the researchers are biased and follow an agenda.

That's like saying you're not willing to believe human beings can lift things unless somebody lifts a house for you. Plain silly.
Macro-PK is moving or altering objects like Kulagina and Geller claimed, in my opinion.

That PEAR lab is the only decent result out of it, but pararesearcher sloppiness can't be denied. Nobody would have tested for OBEs and remote viewing inside a room while he was sleeping on the other side.

Chris

(2019-06-01, 09:10 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]Macro-PK is moving or altering objects like Kulagina and Geller claimed, in my opinion.

That PEAR lab is the only decent result out of it, but pararesearcher sloppiness can't be denied. Nobody would have tested for OBEs and remote viewing inside a room while he was sleeping on the other side.

If you're counting the Random Mechanical Cascade as macro-PK, then I think you need to count dice studies as well. Those were done in large numbers in the mid-20th-century. The early studies were severely criticised, but it's been argued that the later, better conducted ones still show very significant results.

But probably this - and discussion of remote viewing - belong elsewhere rather than in this thread.
(2019-06-01, 08:27 PM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]There is also, after all, a reason why Randi's prize was never claimed, or TK ever demonstrated. Because they can't really do it. Unlike NDEs and a few mediumship cases, which look credible, TK and remote viewing are, as far as we know, fake or delusions.

I don't know or care enough about Uri Geller to be concerned with his spoons beyond their influence on one of the better Pokemon designs, but the reasons why Randi's prize went unclaimed aren't nearly as simple as this implies.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27