Psience Quest

Full Version: Forum Rules and Guidelines Discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2022-01-25, 03:07 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]I was the one who had the initial idea of this forum, and I remember exchanging with Doug was who was the first person I proposed it to. The idea was to have a, yes, "purely" psi forum, and not to have space for that other type of content. Doug was in agreement in spirit,

This PM post from Doug (Transtate) seems to contradict what you’ve said here?

Trancestate

Aug 11, 2017

Myself, I'd like a forum open to almost anything, but with fairly well-defined subforums, similar to what most other message boards offer. I have always disliked Alex's broad categorizations.”

My bolding.
Perhaps. I'm referring to discussions with Doug that go further in the past, before the forum was officially set up. His perspective may have changed afterwards. I only went into this bit to explain what my own personal motivations/preferences were and always have been.
(2022-01-25, 05:02 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps. I'm referring to discussions with Doug that go further in the past, before the forum was officially set up. His perspective may have changed afterwards. I only went into this bit to explain what my own personal motivations/preferences were and always have been.

In any case, the decision to have the opt-in forums was made on a forum wide level after discussion with everyone participating at the time. It is an elegant and useful solution.
(2022-01-25, 05:02 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps. I'm referring to discussions with Doug that go further in the past, before the forum was officially set up. His perspective may have changed afterwards. I only went into this bit to explain what my own personal motivations/preferences were and always have been.

This was from before the forum was set up, and seems pretty clear to me.

It’s from a long Skeptiko PM thread on which the whole secret ‘new forum’ was discussed, we all discussed a lot of things. It’s on page 2 of 89 I think, certainly in the first few pages. 

I’ll be addressing the rest of your post too.
(2022-01-25, 05:18 PM)chuck Wrote: [ -> ]In any case, the decision to have the opt-in forums was made on a forum wide level after discussion with everyone participating at the time. It is an elegant and useful solution.

Yes, the old days, when free speech and democracy seemed paramount. 

Long gone now of course. 

I take it you’re in favour of keeping such an ‘elegant and useful solution’ ?
(2022-01-25, 05:40 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the old days, when free speech and democracy seemed paramount. 

Long gone now of course. 

I take it you’re in favour of keeping such an ‘elegant and useful solution’ ?

The idea that the opt-in forums somehow stifle free speech is ludicrous.
(2022-01-25, 11:33 AM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]I made it clear that I don’t want to discuss politics here and it clearly needs little to no dragging to get you started.

Well stopping a quarrel involves getting two parties that disagree about one thing, to agree to stop.

Quote: Nor does it take much for you to grasp the opportunity to once again prompt Ian to moderate at your suggestion.

Sorry that is too cryptic - which Ian?

David
He means me, David.
(2022-01-25, 06:09 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]He means me, David.

I think he knows that but he's doing his usual "Who? Me? I don't understand ..." thing. He's a game player and a control freak. Notice how he turned my objection to his discussing politics into my desire to argue politics with him which, of course, provided him with the excuse he needed to push his political views once again. And how he claims to be uninterested in moderation (in his book, that means control) when he grabs at yet another opportunity to tell you what moderation steps you need to take.

I don't know, Ian, I'm just about done here. The push from the right is making this an unpleasant experience and I don't feel up to fighting it this time around. I don't know why Bailey and Stan don't go off to find a forum where their version of "free" speech (on the subjects they want to talk about) is welcome. Perhaps they just enjoy being disrupters.
(2022-01-25, 07:08 PM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]The push form the right is making this an unpleasant experience

Are you saying I’m ‘from the right’? If so, that’s f’ing laughable. I voted for Jeremy Corbyn FFS so that should show how misguided your thinking is. You’re really some cookie! 

Stop
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14