What are you listening to?

369 Replies, 44273 Views

The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
[-] The following 3 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Michael Larkin, Laird, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2018-04-10, 06:16 PM)Jim_Smith Wrote:

Funny, I put on Canon last night as I got into bed. I always listen to music before I sleep but classical is rarely my first choice. I made a note to do so more often.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kamarling's post:
  • Jim_Smith
Sharing for no other reason that I like this oldie

Syreeta, with backing vocals by Stevie Wonder.

I still remember the first time I heard this, watching fascinated as the fabric cover in front of the loudspeaker on the old valve radio blew in and out as it did its best to reproduce sounds that were probably undreamed of when it was built. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • tim
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

I was reminded of this after seeing Ding Junhui knock his head against the table after a poor shot.

I think this song (though not this particular recording) was the next track on a compilation album I used to have.*

On the strength of this, I went to see Talking Heads live - when they were supported by some obscure band called Dire Straits - the latter never quite appealed to me, to this day I like music with more rough edges, almost regardless of genre.

*Actually this was the next track, a band I never got to see:

(This post was last modified: 2018-04-24, 10:48 AM by Typoz.)
  • woethekitty
Cool track, and appropriate to this forum, I reckon:

Robbie Robertson - The Lights

There was something strange / In the sky tonight / I was left standing / With three moons shining

Formerly dpdownsouth. Let me dream if I want to.
(This post was last modified: 2018-04-28, 02:06 PM by woethekitty.)
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Laird

• View a Printable Version