The Medical Medium and the dangers of believing in magic

23 Replies, 711 Views

(2023-05-06, 10:26 AM)Brian Wrote: If you had a possibly serious illness, would you go to a "medical medium" or to a qualified medical practitioner?  Or to put it another way, how certain are you really, when it comes to the crunch, in the existence of psi?

Nobody can be certain about a question like that without having had the experience, but I'd use the internet pretty seriously to discover if the disease was well treated by conventional doctors before letting them mess me up! I already avoid all medical tests, other than BP measurements which I perform myself, because I suspect doctors are most likely to do harm by ignoring the maxim, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!".

David
[-] The following 2 users Like David001's post:
  • nbtruthman, Valmar
(2023-05-08, 10:29 AM)David001 Wrote: I'd say it is pretty close to a law of nature, that anything that pulls in billions of dollars is going to be seriously corrupt.

Oh for goodness sake David, what does this even mean?

So all commercial exercise is corrupt over a certain arbitrary threshold of your determination (i.e., 'billions')?  What does this tell us?  Should this be a concern, should we do anything about it?

You consistently wave about this battering ram, blunt force argument and I think its obtuse.  Yes, there are bad actors.  Yes, human beings do really things for money and power.  But things like modern pharmacy have also done amazing things for millions of people: reduced suffering, saved lives, extended lives, etc.

Can we at least attempt to be even a bit nuanced in our criticisms?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silence's post:
  • Will
(2023-05-08, 01:09 PM)Silence Wrote: Oh for goodness sake David, what does this even mean?

So all commercial exercise is corrupt over a certain arbitrary threshold of your determination (i.e., 'billions')?  What does this tell us?  Should this be a concern, should we do anything about it?

You consistently wave about this battering ram, blunt force argument and I think its obtuse.  Yes, there are bad actors.  Yes, human beings do really things for money and power.  But things like modern pharmacy have also done amazing things for millions of people: reduced suffering, saved lives, extended lives, etc.

Can we at least attempt to be even a bit nuanced in our criticisms?

I'm sorry, but I say what I mean. There is a certain analogy between sugar and money. The odd sweet treat is nice, and can even give you energy on a hike, but large quantities of sugar are extremely bad for you.

I think money follows the same pattern. In moderation money helps society organise itself and grow in all sorts of ways, but larger amounts of money are just harmful.

Part of the problem is that some people crave more and more money without limit. Some of these people are positions of power in industry, and the more money is flowing around, the more such people are attracted, and any morals they started out with are lost in the process.

David
(2023-05-09, 10:29 AM)David001 Wrote: I think money follows the same pattern. In moderation money helps society organise itself and grow in all sorts of ways, but larger amounts of money are just harmful.

This is so objective as to become, again, without use.

Define moderation.  Is that $1bn, $100m, $10m, $1m, $0.01?

I think you have to find a better unit of measure that "money". Wink

• View a Printable Version