Super-Psi & some notes from Braude's Immortal Remains

128 Replies, 10592 Views

Quote:Jeffrey Mishlove dialogues with himself about reality and illusion as it pertains to life after death. He draws upon the concept of "the plane of illusion" as articulated in the automatic writing ostensibly dictated by the deceased Frederic Myers in Geraldine Cummins' book, The Road to Immortality. He also draws upon discussions between Sir Oliver Lodge, while alive, and Myers through the mediumship of Mrs. Gladys Osborne Leonard.

=-=-=-=

Quote:Jeffrey Mishlove interviews himself about the many possibilities for survival following the permanent death of the physical body. He draws upon the inquiries made by William James in evaluating the mass of evidence produced by the trance medium, Leonora Piper. He also draws upon the mystical premise of one consciousness that sees through the eyes of all creatures. He reflects on the data of reincarnation and how it differs from the worldview of many nineteenth century spiritualists.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2021-04-15, 06:54 AM by Sciborg_S_Patel.)
(2021-04-15, 06:05 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote:
Quote:He also draws upon the mystical premise of one consciousness that sees through the eyes of all creatures.

I take an interest in this perspective for reasons quite unconnected with survival. I'm already of the view that I as an individual survive from one life to another, retaining that individuality.

But, that isn't the whole story. We know we are connected, we form emotional bonds with those we love, and may experience telepathic connection (an empathic connection) at times of need or stress. What about those to whom we have no bonds, strangers, passers by or those we may consider alien or outsiders in our lives? Accounts from NDEs, in particular the life-review which is sometimes described, often has us experiencing the world through the eyes of those 'others' with whom we may have interacted, for better or for worse.

I do sometimes have an emotional link with those people where I've had some sort of interaction. If it was a positive experience it's easy to take these things for granted, "I feel happy" just being a state of mind, not realising that it may be a sharing of someone else's happiness at a distance. The unpleasant or damaging contacts we have with others can stand out more. Sometimes maybe we take for granted that we are separate from other people. But I've found unexpected feelings of distress and unease, negative or painful emotions sometimes seem to appear out of nowhere, and then I realise it is something which I have triggered in the life of someone else, their pain becomes my pain. This is pretty much a real-time thing, I don't need to wait for a life review, it happens in the now.

I've come to consider that we are like the fingers on a hand, apparently separate, but if one finger injures another finger, it is apparent that they are both part of something larger.

This relation between individual survival, and connectedness with others I'm regarding as analogous with wave-particle duality in physics. Something may be a particle. Or it may be a wave. But it can't be both at once. Or can it? Maybe it is neither, these are only descriptions, and we choose to focus on the particle nature or we choose to focus on the wave nature. Likewise the relation between the individual and the whole. Maybe these too are just descriptions, nether takes precedence, we simply observe whichever we decide to look for.

To close, some of what I've written here is evidenced-based or experience-based. But other parts are just speculation and ideas. I'll quote myself:
(2021-04-15, 06:40 AM)Typoz Wrote: Such problems are one reason why I'm unattached to any philosophy, it can be problematic to grow too attached to ideas of "this is the way things are".
(This post was last modified: 2021-04-15, 08:58 AM by Typoz.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • nbtruthman, Sciborg_S_Patel

Quote:Jeffrey Mishlove engages in a conversation with himself about certain discarnate human spirits that have ostensibly manifested through different physical mediums for more than a century. He compares these cases to those of both reincarnation and possession – and examines different causes of action that, he feels, are operating simultaneously in such cases.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2021-05-12, 01:44 AM by Laird. Edit Reason: Fixed broken video link (removed trailing http://) )
[-] The following 4 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Larry, Raimo, Laird, Mediochre

Quote:What connection do we really have with the souls of those who have lived here before? Psychologist Edith Fiore describes how, working with her clients, she has come to diagnose and treat cases of apparent spirit possession. She demonstrates an actual depossession technique, a method entirely different from the classical notion of "exorcism." Dr. Fiore's is a loving process whereby the possessing spirit is encouraged to enter the "light" to further its own spiritual evolution. She describes hypnotic regression to the time when the entity first joined with the patient or to the death of the possessing entity. She also looks at cases in which the patient has a karmic connection with the possessing entity, and offers an imagery technique for treating patients who feel they are victims of a "curse."

Edith Fiore is author of You Have Been Here Before: A Psychologist Looks at Past Lives and The Unquiet Dead: A Psychologist Looks at Spirit Depossession.

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • North, Typoz

Quote:Jeffrey Mishlove engages in a conversation with himself about conditions in the early stages of the afterlife. He makes the point that the available research strongly suggests the influence of cultural conditioning. Our expectations play an enormous role on what is experienced. He describes the work of rescue circles and the controversy as to whether these are necessary. He also discusses differences in afterlife reports between western and Asian reincarnation cases.

=-=-=

Quote:Jeffrey Mishlove engages in a conversation with himself about some of the thorniest problems of human identity associated with the afterlife. Can we maintain our identity in the absence of a physical body? Are there other bodies once we let go of the physical? How do these bodies, if they exist maintain themselves? What is the relationship between the small ego and the ground of being of the universe? What of the "oversoul"?

- Bertrand Russell

• Typoz, Larry

Quote:In this 2016 video, he points out that poltergeists are thought to represent the recurrent, spontaneous psychokinetic activity of particular individuals. This is an unconscious process not under the control of the individual. However, generally, the troubling phenomena tend to go away once psychological problems are resolved. Hauntings, on the other hand, represent similar phenomena – associated with a particular location rather than a particular person. Hundreds of such cases have been observed by researchers. The discussion covers many details and nuances found in the available research literature.

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Smaw

Quote:Anabela Cardoso is a former Portuguese diplomat. She is author of Electronic Voices: Contact with Another Dimension, Electronic Contact with the Dead: What the Voices Tell Us, and Glimpses of Another World: Impressions and Reflections of an EVP Operator. Here she describes pioneering work in establishing ITC by Maggie Harsch-Fischbach, Konstantine Raudive, and others.

She explains how her own interest in the field began, and talks about the hundreds of voices she has recorded, and interacted with, over the last two decades. She describes a research project that was published in the Journal of Neuro-Quantology.

- Bertrand Russell

Quote:Jeffrey Mishlove has a delightful conversation with himself regarding one of the most talented spirit mediums of the twentieth century. Gladys Osborne Leonard's career as a medium spanned a half-century. Throughout that time she was studied extensively by researchers. She consistently demonstrated both integrity and talent, offering enormous evidence for postmortem survival.

- Bertrand Russell

(2021-08-02, 06:11 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote:

Quote:Anabela Cardoso is a former Portuguese diplomat, having served as Consul General in Spain, France, and the United States – as well as Chargé de Affaires in Japan and India. She is author of Electronic Voices: Contact with Another Dimension, Electronic Contact with the Dead: What the Voices Tell Us, and Glimpses of Another World: Impressions and Reflections of an EVP Operator.

Here she discusses what she has learned over the past two-decades from her two-way conversations with anomalous voices. She describes how the voices are produced, the collective organization of those on the other side, what they say about their bodies, and also the meaning of suffering. She compares the information she has received directly with that reported by others in the literature of Instrumental Trans Communication and spiritualism.

- Bertrand Russell

• Larry, Ninshub
Looking at Mishlove's essay which won the Bigelow prize.

He goes through varied types of Survival Evidence, some of it overlapping with what we covered in this thread. He also takes an interesting position that supports Idealism but unlike Kastrup rejects Super-Psi type explanations.

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Typoz

• View a Printable Version