Opposing Hell

39 Replies, 2646 Views
Thread Closed 

(2021-03-15, 01:03 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Yeah, in some ways, but it’s still too conditional for my liking. 

Am I seeing things right? 

If I’m right that Christians aren’t fans of reincarnation, in one short life on earth we are supposed to work out that this one condition out of billions is the only one that counts? The only way we can get to heaven? (Believing the ‘Jesus thing’ that I described above)

Not to mention questions like...What about babies that die? What about members of tribes that never even heard of Jesus?etc

As I said before, I’m well open to ideas of God, and Jesus being an ‘advanced being’, much closer to God than I am (I am unwilling to name any other person) but I’m too aware of how man’s propaganda has warped our views as it is. What makes the bible special to this day, can you say that it’s really ‘the word of God’?

Ultimately, my only litmus test as to the validity and continued relevance of a religion or spiritual path is to ask whether or not it has the ability to produce saints. To me, there is ample evidence that Christianity fulfils this criteria.

As to why the bible is still relevant: because it is an essential component of about 2000 years worth of theology, tried and tested spiritual practice, ascetism, ritual, folk practice, mysticism, art, music, and architecture. Is it the word of God? If read under the guidance of the great saints and theologians, then yes, sure. (I would of course extend the same regard, with the same provision, to the holy books of other religions.)

To me, ditching the bible and or assigning Jesus to the role of 'advanced being' would disconnect one from the above mentioned cultural, metaphysical and spiritual complex.

It is true that no mainstream Christian denomination includes reincarnation as part of its dogma. However, many do hold that spiritual growth continues in perpetuity after death, with hell or purgatory being temporary states that may have to be worked through.

It's also important to realise that some form of universalism (the idea that everyone, including non-Christians, will or at least can be saved) is a current that stretches right back to the very origins of Christianity. Justin Martyr (c. 100 – c. 165) is one example here.
Formerly dpdownsouth. Let me dream if I want to.
(This post was last modified: 2021-03-16, 03:25 PM by woethekitty.)
[-] The following 3 users Like woethekitty's post:
  • Enrique Vargas, Stan Woolley, Sciborg_S_Patel
This post has been deleted.
(2021-03-16, 03:23 PM)dpdownsouth Wrote: As to why the bible is still relevant: because it is an essential component of about 2000 years worth of theology, tried and tested spiritual practice, ascetism, ritual, folk practice, mysticism, art, music, and architecture. Is it the word of God? If read under the guidance of the great saints and theologians, then yes, sure. (I would of course extend the same regard, with the same provision, to the holy books of other religions.)

While I may not agree with your wording here, I have some sympathy with the sentiment.

I have long believed that there is a core of truth in all religions and that the recognised mystics of Christianity bring the same message that we get from the mystics of other faiths. That same message is also echoed in some of the channelled material I have read and can be found in philosophy and Theosophy.

Nevertheless, this is not the Christianity that I was taught as a child. It is not the Christianity of the evangelicals or the institutional Catholics. It is not the Christianity of the Crusades or the Inquisition. It almost lurks in the shadows like a secret society.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kamarling's post:
  • woethekitty
(2021-03-16, 03:23 PM)dpdownsouth Wrote: It is true that no mainstream Christian denomination includes reincarnation as part of its dogma. However, many do hold that spiritual growth continues in perpetuity after death, with hell or purgatory being temporary states that may have to be worked through.

Thanks for the reply.

I’m sure I read or heard that reincarnation used to be favoured by Christians, but I guess someone sometime had a better idea and it has been changed. It’s that type of thing that bothers me about the Bible, how much has been changed? Of course there are passages in the Bible that are divine, and I see them in that light. There is Wisdom, for sure.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 2 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • woethekitty, Enrique Vargas
Typoz made a very apt post. I thought it was a good question. (Maybe I'll bring it up tomorrow from my own perspective)
(This post was last modified: 2021-03-16, 11:24 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • woethekitty
Early Christians were reincarnationists. There are passages in the Scriptures that clearly indicate belief in reincarnation. https://www.near-death.com/reincarnation...anity.html
[-] The following 2 users Like Enrique Vargas's post:
  • woethekitty, Stan Woolley
(2021-03-16, 11:20 PM)tim Wrote: Typoz made a very apt post. I thought it was a good question. (Maybe I'll bring it up tomorrow from my own perspective)

Please do. I didn't get to see Typoz's post before he deleted it.
Formerly dpdownsouth. Let me dream if I want to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes woethekitty's post:
  • Stan Woolley
(2021-03-17, 09:49 AM)dpdownsouth Wrote: Please do. I didn't get to see Typoz's post before he deleted it.

Note: I removed it because this is Brian's thread and he wanted the discussion to focus on his original topic. My own post was off-topic, I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Stan Woolley
THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT:
We hear you Brian.
Glad you're still here.
I'll see if this thread can be closed to further replies.
Thread Closed 

• View a Printable Version