NDE Multimedia Resource Thread

284 Replies, 61403 Views

(2021-08-12, 12:08 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: I doubt that any such examples will be totally made up, if they’re made up at all. 

Often I know something exists in a video or written article but am not able to prove it without spending hours doing so, or failing! This may be the same sort of thing. 

I do think he will have reached any position he has by real investigation, as opposed to the debunkers, who don’t do the work.
I wasn't suggesting any intention to mislead, merely a lack of clarity. It's just that my preference is to hear experiencers speak for themselves in their own words as far as possible.

By the way I'm not suggesting that you should not have shared this video, or that it is of no value. Not at all. It is  useful and I'm glad you posted it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Obiwan, Stan Woolley
(2021-08-12, 11:30 AM)Typoz Wrote: You're right that the negative experiences are an important part of the picture.

I agree and, further, I'm not sure why negative or disturbing NDEs should be in any way controversial. Life itself is made up of all manner of adventures which, combined, provide a worthwhile learning experience. Put another way, I doubt that we would advance our enlightenment by being restricted to comfortable and comforting conditions, either in physical life or thereafter. However, the goal is always to find the way back to the light, as it were.

I try to keep in mind that this is a journey through many incarnations and some of the roles we subject ourselves to are likely to be hard, unpleasant and challenging. We adopt a role or a frame of mind and our experiences tend to conform to the those roles. If we get so entrenched in the role so as to identify completely with the personality and beliefs that come with it, then we probably set up the conditions we may face initially in the afterlife. Additionally there might be necessary, though short-term, reminders of how holding on to negative beliefs can create such a discomforting environment. That may be especially valuable in the context of an NDE after which one has to face this world again, perhaps with new insights.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 4 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Obiwan, Typoz, Valmar, Stan Woolley
A great interview with Jeff Long on Randy Kay channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czffzAHafw
[-] The following 2 users Like Enrique Vargas's post:
  • Smaw, Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
(2021-08-14, 08:34 PM)Kamarling Wrote: I agree and, further, I'm not sure why negative or disturbing NDEs should be in any way controversial. Life itself is made up of all manner of adventures which, combined, provide a worthwhile learning experience. Put another way, I doubt that we would advance our enlightenment by being restricted to comfortable and comforting conditions, either in physical life or thereafter. However, the goal is always to find the way back to the light, as it were.

I try to keep in mind that this is a journey through many incarnations and some of the roles we subject ourselves to are likely to be hard, unpleasant and challenging. We adopt a role or a frame of mind and our experiences tend to conform to the those roles. If we get so entrenched in the role so as to identify completely with the personality and beliefs that come with it, then we probably set up the conditions we may face initially in the afterlife. Additionally there might be necessary, though short-term, reminders of how holding on to negative beliefs can create such a discomforting environment. That may be especially valuable in the context of an NDE after which one has to face this world again, perhaps with new insights.

Whether or not it’s a journey through many incarnations (I’m not persuaded of that myself), I agree that negative or difficult experiences are as much a part of life as positive ones.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obiwan's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2021-08-26, 08:07 PM)Obiwan Wrote: Whether or not it’s a journey through many incarnations (I’m not persuaded of that myself), I agree that negative or difficult experiences are as much a part of life as positive ones.

As an alternative to 'many incarnatiins', would you place yourself closer to one-incarnation then an afterlife or one physical existence and then nothing? Or something else maybe? Just curious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2021-08-26, 11:44 PM)Typoz Wrote: As an alternative to 'many incarnatiins', would you place yourself closer to one-incarnation then an afterlife or one physical existence and then nothing? Or something else maybe? Just curious.

That’s an interesting question. There’s certainly a lot of evidence to support reincarnation (though much of it could, I think,  also be explained by overshadowing or other influence from discarnate personalities). What form reincarnation might take exactly seems somewhat moot to me. Looking at the evidence of those who claim to know (dead and living) opinions range from one incarnation to countless. 

Personally I’m inclined towards a single incarnation for most of us as part of a continuum of development with occasional reincarnations for specific purposes for some. Just my opinion though and I’m not 100% convinced of survival at all.

What’s your view?
(This post was last modified: 2021-09-05, 06:31 PM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Typoz
(2021-09-05, 06:29 PM)Obiwan Wrote: That’s an interesting question. There’s certainly a lot of evidence to support reincarnation (though much of it could, I think,  also be explained by overshadowing or other influence from discarnate personalities). What form reincarnation might take exactly seems somewhat moot to me. Looking at the evidence of those who claim to know (dead and living) opinions range from one incarnation to countless. 

Personally I’m inclined towards a single incarnation for most of us as part of a continuum of development with occasional reincarnations for specific purposes for some. Just my opinion though and I’m not 100% convinced of survival at all.

What’s your view?

Thanks for your reply, that is interesting. I thought perhaps you were rejecting reincarnation completely - or should I say, I thought you were tending or inclined in that direction. You've clarified that, I see you have some openness towards it.

Myself. Lots of blank spaces where I simply don't know anything, and prefer to leave open as areas of possibilities. Where I'm more specific, I'm pretty sure that reincarnation does happen, and that it isn't explainable by super-psi or data provided from spirits and so on.

Perhaps one area where I have most difficulty in communicating is the sort of visceral feelings of what it means to be an individual. When I think of reincarnation, I'm much less concerned with facts and figures, such as place-names or dates or recognising a particular building or location, or facts of any kind. Those are the sorts of things which are used in attempts at verification of past lives, but always seem somehow superficial to me. When I think of reincarnation, it is something deep inside, the 'this is me' sort of feeling, that is the part which I think of as surviving and re-arriving in a fresh body. Even with no obvious recall of any kind, the 'this is me' feeling persists. That is my view.

I tend to be sceptical of bold pronouncements, sometimes I hear people say "I'm sure this is my first life" or "I know I'm an old soul", I take both with a pinch of salt. Of course one should show respect towards other people and not be dismissive, but my feeling is, we within this life have a kind of amnesia or blockage so even the very obvious things may elude us, and so speculation is put forward as certainty. I guess on lots of things I'm more comfortable with uncertainty.

I was going to write a whole lot on how I arrived at my views, but as I ran through it in my mind, it was starting to look more like a book than a forum post, so I'll skip that for now. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Obiwan
This post has been deleted.
Hi Typoz

From my reading of the subject, I don’t think there’s any basis for completely ignoring reincarnation as a phenomenon (though 'god' knows I've tried lol). There’s just too much evidence suggesting it. Even without the testimony of those who it’s claimed have passed on to life beyond ours.

The best evidence for reincarnation seems quite strong to me (assuming mundane explanations have been eliminated sufficiently).  Some of it I have difficulty seeing as more likely to be anything other than reincarnation (no matter how hard I’ve tried to lever it into my “overshadowing” model lol). So at least “something is happening“ but what, I don’t know.

I also have to bear in mind that I do have a sort of predisposition against it (I don’t like the idea basically lol) which is probably a mixture of my inability to imagine how it would work in practice and previous religious beliefs. I do find descriptions of oversouls, higher-selves, group-souls and “facets of wider entities” difficult to digest, and I haven’t seen much convincing evidence of them being a fact, so far. 

Even the evidence from purported afterlife residents communicated through mediumship for example is, I think, mixed. Opinion even there seems somewhat divided.

I’m of the same mind as you, which if I have  understand you correctly, is that for survival to be meaningful there needs to be some part of me as a person which persists. I can’t see how that would work with reincarnation but that’s as likely to be my lack ability understand/imagine it as anything else I suppose.

I don’t think anybody who’s taken a serious look at the body of evidence for survival can realistically claim, as a fact, that reincarnation doesn’t happen or isn't a logical potential conclusion. The dogmatic assertions of some as to how it works in practice leave me cold though.

Regarding uncertainty; one of the things I’ve learned from my study of the subject of survival is that it is very difficult to be certain about anything unless we experience it directly for ourselves. Even then full conviction may not be achievable for most of us.

I also agree with you that once one embraces uncertainty as a fact, it makes considering alternative explanations for particular phenomena a lot easier lol. 

So the ability to live with uncertainty is a neat skill if one can acquire it (and maintain it!).
(This post was last modified: 2021-09-06, 10:47 AM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obiwan's post:
  • Stan Woolley

• View a Printable Version