If qualia is real, why does it have to be paranormal

185 Replies, 6849 Views

(2021-10-25, 02:25 AM)malf Wrote: Check my record. I recommend leaving all positions on the table.

Of course, but like you might say towards parapsychology, just because an idea is left on the table doesn't mean it's supported by evidence, argument or at all likely.
(2021-10-24, 07:15 PM)Steve001 Wrote:  About Tallis your hero. I did not say he was categorically stupid. Just specifically stupid for thinking the brain does not create consciousness. As for Maaneli he was a narcissist certain of his infallibility. He earned my derision. You still do not know the mind of Shermer.

Entirely unrelated and not indicative of any of Shermer's critiques of parapsychology but, he's kind of an asshole. I use to quite like him, but he really seems to have gone off the deep end a bit in terms of just, hostile opinions towards people.
(2021-10-24, 07:15 PM)Steve001 Wrote:  About Tallis your hero. I did not say he was categorically stupid. Just specifically stupid for thinking the brain does not create consciousness. As for Maaneli he was a narcissist certain of his infallibility. He earned my derision. You still do not know the mind of Shermer.

Lol if we're talking about earning people's derision...but I digress...

I believe your problem with Tallis was specifically his argument that memories can't be stored in a material brain, for which you called him a "damned fool"...I've waited years for any actual counterargument but it seems you won't be providing one in this lifetime.

That you had to run to JREF suggests you didn't have any real counterargument against Maaneli, it was just your materialist-atheist faith telling you he was speaking blasphemies.

Shermer seems to me to be an opportunist, but I quoted him directly so unless he's refuted his prior position I'd say that I know at least as much about his mind as the contents of the article he wrote.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 4 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Larry, Brian, stephenw, Raimo
(2021-10-25, 01:11 AM)Smaw Wrote: What's disappointing is asking me to take a position on belief that eventually, maybe, an answer will be conjured up that agrees with one position rather than the number of others that have been proposed. 

Not all forms of ilusionism involved can kicking, but even the ones that don't have fair arguments against them. Certainly not a popular position, especially among physicalist philosophers of the mind.

If i am a proponent of illusionism, am i then an illusionist?
"The mind is the effect, not the cause."

Daniel Dennett
(2021-10-25, 08:23 AM)Sparky Wrote: If i am a proponent of illusionism, am i then an illusionist?

Well yeah, cause you're advocating for illusionism. What kind of illusionism do you subscribe to, Dennett or Frankish? Or some other style of argument.
I am more of the school of Copperfield.

Daniel Dennett
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sparky's post:
  • Typoz
Just kidding, Smaw.
I do like Dennet a lot, I guess that makes me a bit of an  eliminitavist , although I am not that keen on labels.

Daniel Dennett
(This post was last modified: 2021-10-25, 09:48 AM by Sparky.)
(2021-10-25, 07:05 AM)Smaw Wrote: Entirely unrelated and not indicative of any of Shermer's critiques of parapsychology but, he's kind of an asshole. I use to quite like him, but he really seems to have gone off the deep end a bit in terms of just, hostile opinions towards people.
The only reason I linked to that podcast was to inform Sci Shermer has not changed his outlook.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve001's post:
  • entangled_cat
(2021-10-25, 02:25 AM)malf Wrote: Check my record. I recommend leaving all positions on the table.

Sounds like you are entangled in a superposition of states with no outcome.
[-] The following 4 users Like stephenw's post:
  • Brian, malf, entangled_cat, Typoz
(2021-10-26, 02:15 PM)stephenw Wrote: Sounds like you are entangled in a superposition of states with no outcome.

It’s why I had to take a break.
It’s exhausting.
[-] The following 5 users Like malf's post:
  • Smaw, Hurmanetar, Steve001, stephenw, Silence

• View a Printable Version