If it's all, or mostly real...what kind of reality are we living in?

16 Replies, 2202 Views

Let's say Psi, UFOs, NDEs, Ghosts, Spirits, Magic(k?) is all real in some fashion...what would that say about reality?

My first inclination would be Gnosticism, that if we have access to varied powers but in such limited fashion as to be near useless there'd have to be someone stopping us from utilizing our capacity for psychic healing and so on.

But perhaps we just happen to be in the kind of reality where Psi works poorly. A thousand years or so in the past, when I was young, the creator of D&D Gary Gygax had this idea that there are (at least) 3 worlds - Oerth, Earth, and Yarth. Oerth is magic-rich, Yarth is middling magic, and Earth is magic-poor. Maybe reality is like that?
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 6 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Laird, Oleo, Hurmanetar, Valmar, Mediochre, Typoz
Another thought is the varied afterlives and spirit worlds, added to NDEs, reincarnation, mediumship.

Perhaps our Earth is sort of a hub for different journeys? Some people are seeking multiple incarnations on the planet, others are making a pit stop incarnation on the way to some larger expansive reality like that shown in NDEs, and others end up in fantastical worlds that still have incarnate bodies.

It just seems like a mistake to think there is one singular answer to what happens when we die?
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 4 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Laird, Hurmanetar, Ninshub, Typoz
This post has been deleted.
This post has been deleted.
(2019-06-04, 05:05 PM)Max_B Wrote: Another possibility I like is that it may not be possible to manipulate the informational systems that underlie our reality from outside of them. One might have to become the information, become one with it, to manipulate it. So if you want to manipulate it, move or change etc. there is no option but to enter it, and find ones way out again.

The Hall of Mirrors at the heart of the Chapel Perilious.  
As R.A. Wilson so poetically put it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Oleo's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Hurmanetar
I wonder how much of this is cultural?
So called primitive societies seem much more adept at dealing with or realizing these potentials.
I can't help but think that if we were all brought up as idealist or animists * things might be much more creative.
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Laird
(2019-05-31, 02:04 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Let's say Psi, UFOs, NDEs, Ghosts, Spirits, Magic(k?) is all real in some fashion...what would that say about reality?

My first inclination would be Gnosticism, that if we have access to varied powers but in such limited fashion as to be near useless there'd have to be someone stopping us from utilizing our capacity for psychic healing and so on.

But perhaps we just happen to be in the kind of reality where Psi works poorly. A thousand years or so in the past, when I was young, the creator of D&D Gary Gygax had this idea that there are (at least) 3 worlds - Oerth, Earth, and Yarth. Oerth is magic-rich, Yarth is middling magic, and Earth is magic-poor. Maybe reality is like that?

If access is limited from outside this reality, then perhaps it is so by agreement of those who participate because the intent is to find the right balance of power to have particular kinds of interesting experiences. This limitation could take the form of a heavenly bureaucracy so that one such possible interesting experience is hacking the rules to give the bureaucrats the finger and break the rules.

Or perhaps access is fundamentally unlimited and we just haven't figured out how it works yet. Maybe we can master such power and turn it into technology as we are doing with electricity.

If the latter is the case and we just haven't discovered the secret sauce yet, and the power to create is also the power to destroy, then the fact that things are relatively stable and predictable now means we are either early adopters in a vast universe that will certainly grow more chaotic in the future requiring a form of government to maintain stability (think cold war but on a universal scale with anti-matter weapons), or we are already under the "protection" of a government and must pass certain requirements to be trusted with such powers like getting a concealed handgun license - which might once again start to look like the Gnostic universe. Maybe the citizens of earth must prove we can shoot straight and not shoot one another in rage before we get the anti-matter time-space warping anti-gravity engines that can read minds.

Either way I think we end up with the Gnostic universe. When you have individuated egoic consciousness with a spectrum of power, and a spectrum of cooperative to antagonistic behavior, then governance in the forms of hierarchy and networks will naturally arise. Out of the hierarchies will arise super-predators which are terrifying yet occupy a fragile position being dependent on everything below them and being the first to die off when the asteroid strikes. And out of the networks arise both love and community as well as new forms of big brother databases and encumbering prisons of communal tradition and rules that destroy individuality.
(This post was last modified: 2019-06-05, 02:17 PM by Hurmanetar.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Hurmanetar's post:
  • Mediochre, Laird, Sciborg_S_Patel, Oleo
(2019-06-05, 01:23 AM)Oleo Wrote: I wonder how much of this is cultural?
So called primitive societies seem much more adept at dealing with or realizing these potentials.
I can't help but think that if we were all brought up as idealist or animists * things might be much more creative.

This ties into something I was thinking about re: Synchronicity...it would seem to require PK, Telepathy, and arguably Precognition.

Perhaps it ties into the idea that Psi works better subconsciously than consciously?

But it would take an incredible...level?...amount?...of Psi energy to make such things work. This might be less of a problem if we consider syncs are Information, and maybe "Information", as positing some unifying pre-state or intermediary state of Mind & Matter, would help make sense of how a lot of the stuff discussed on this forum happens...

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Oleo, Hurmanetar
Lucky for us, there is no shortage of mysteries, surrounding consciousness.
(This post was last modified: 2019-06-14, 01:00 AM by Oleo.)
  • Typoz, Sciborg_S_Patel
And now seems like a very good time ,to thank you for shining a light on many of them.
  • Typoz, Sciborg_S_Patel

• View a Printable Version