I’d rate this a ‘must watch’ interview.

43 Replies, 2338 Views

There’s far too much pandering to peoples specific opinions here. It’s unacceptable to me for Raimo to post so rarely, and when he does it appears it’s in the main to complain around his pet thing! 

I ask again Laird. What respect has he shown anyone? And what respect has Berk elon shown me? 

I don’t need or want their respect, but I do object to you seeing only one aspect of this.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
Steve, if you have objections, then please raise them with Ian. I've made my position clear. If you continue to question moderation policy and implementation in this thread, then I'll either close it or soft-delete those posts of yours which perpetuate the theme, depending on which seems most appropriate. That potentially includes any response to this post.

Going forward, I encourage you to focus on the content you shared in the OP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
(2021-03-31, 05:54 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: There’s far too much pandering to peoples specific opinions here. It’s unacceptable to me for Raimo to post so rarely, and when he does it appears it’s in the main to complain around his pet thing! 

I ask again Laird. What respect has he shown anyone? And what respect has Berk elon shown me? 

I don’t need or want their respect, but I do object to you seeing only one aspect of this.

I thought that replying to other users' posts was allowed regardless of how often one posts here. I will certainly not self-censor my opinions or apologize to anybody, because I haven't insulted anybody in the first place.

Laird was right. My objection was to "no-self", which was clearly advertised in the video's front image.
(2021-03-31, 07:33 PM)Raimo Wrote: Laird was right. My objection was to "no-self", which was clearly advertised in the video's front image.

To say that a video should be boycotted without any clue what it’s about is just ridiculous. I didn’t even notice the title until you made your post! 

As I said before, if there are calls for people like McGilchrist to be boycotted, God help us all. 

I was content to ignore your post until Laird made his comments. 

I’m not looking for anything from you, but I too refuse to self censor or apologise for defending my views about your views!
(2021-03-30, 09:45 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Curt Jaimungal is proving to be a highly skilled as well as informed interviewer of academics and other interesting people. Here he talks to Prof Iain Gilchrist, a man who’s ideas I tend to like very much.

Enjoying listening! Only half through it far, but his thinking more or less aligns with my own.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hurmanetar's post:
  • Stan Woolley
“So we must for our own sakes get back to seeing that it’s a both/and world in which you may have truth on your side and I may have truth on my side and we ought to respect one another and talk about it in a grown up way, not vilifying, hating and silencing people, but listening to people who say things different from ourselves, that’s so fundamental. It’s how our civilisation got to have a culture and now we’re throwing it away. 

Anyway, sorry, it does distress me very much. 

This sudden rise in there not being shades of meaning, I think it’s to do with the way we’re educated, I don’t think we’re taught any longer to think...”

I copied this short excerpt of Iain McGilchrist from the video, this is the type of thinking Raimo thinks ought to be boycotted, without even listening to any of the interview. I strongly suggest that this is the very type of thing that we ought to be encouraging. That Raimo’s post was liked by two others, one of whom I largely respect(the other I hardly know), makes me just want to bang my head against a wall.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Obiwan, Ninshub
I particularly like the second one. (Joke  Wink)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Stan Woolley's post:
  • Ninshub
The title of the Video had nothing to do with McGilchrist btw, it was Curt the interviewer that chose it.

I asked Iain direct.
(This post was last modified: 2021-04-03, 08:52 AM by Stan Woolley.)
(2021-04-02, 02:08 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: I copied this short excerpt of Iain McGilchrist from the video, this is the type of thinking Raimo thinks ought to be boycotted, without even listening to any of the interview. I strongly suggest that this is the very type of thing that we ought to be encouraging. That Raimo’s post was liked by two others, one of whom I largely respect(the other I hardly know), makes me just want to bang my head against a wall.

Instead of throwing a tantrum you should read my post again.

I wrote:
Quote:"No-self" propaganda should always be boycotted.

The title of the video is "The meaning of having no self". It's not my fault if the title is not accurate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Raimo's post:
  • Ninshub

• View a Printable Version