Free will and determinism

266 Replies, 5117 Views

I found this article to be helpful, particularly the section I'm linking here.
[/url]
[url=https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/incompatibilism-theories/#4]https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/incompatibilism-theories/#4

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
(2023-02-15, 07:42 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Thanks, I'll be curious as to her response.

Still not sure the question is coherent, but ideally she can make sense of it....maybe she'll use the term "two-way power" but we'll see...
Seems to me the question comes down to this: If free will is incompatible with determinism and requires indeterminism, what are the aspects of indeterminism? One is pure randomness. What are the others and how do they play out in an act of making a free decision?

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul C. Anagnostopoulos's post:
  • Ninshub
(2023-02-15, 08:06 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: I found this article to be helpful, particularly the section I'm linking here.
[/url]
[url=https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/incompatibilism-theories/#4]https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/incompatibilism-theories/#4

~~ Paul

Does it say anything about NDEs or Psi?

I notice it mentions something about Laws of Nature...not sure what those actually are or how they work...
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2023-02-15, 08:10 PM by Sciborg_S_Patel. Edited 1 time in total.)
(2023-02-15, 08:09 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Does it say anything about NDEs or Psi?

I notice it mentions something about Laws of Nature...not sure what those actually are or how they work...
It does not.

It's uses of "laws of nature" seem pretty innocent to me, but I just take them as descriptive.

~~ Paul
(2023-02-15, 08:09 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: Seems to me the question comes down to this: If free will is incompatible with determinism and requires indeterminism, what are the aspects of indeterminism? One is pure randomness. What are the others and how do they play out in an act of making a free decision?

~~ Paul

I am unconvinced there is any determinism or pure randomness in reality - in fact the former seems like some kind of variation of the latter since it is quite unclear why the determinism holds save by Luck.
...but I recall going through my views on all this in the 65 page thread. Wink

I'll be curious to see what Helen Steward says. Just have to wait and see for now...
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Ninshub
(2023-02-15, 08:20 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: I am unconvinced there is any determinism or pure randomness in reality - in fact the former seems like some kind of variation of the latter since it is quite unclear why the determinism holds save by Luck.
...but I recall going through my views on all this in the 65 page thread. Wink

I'll be curious to see what Helen Steward says. Just have to wait and see for now...
Then what is there? Could you define "nonrandom indeterminism" or whatever term you would use? Perhaps the definition will help will me understand how you're thinking about this.

Because, for me, if event B isn't caused by events A1, A2, etc., perhaps with a coin flip or two tossed in, then I cannot imagine how it's caused. And if it's not caused, then I can't imagine why it isn't arbitrary.

~~ Paul
(2023-02-15, 08:50 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: Then what is there? Could you define "nonrandom indeterminism" or whatever term you would use? Perhaps the definition will help will me understand how you're thinking about this.

Because, for me, if event B isn't caused by events A1, A2, etc., perhaps with a coin flip or two tossed in, then I cannot imagine how it's caused. And if it's not caused, then I can't imagine why it isn't arbitrary.

~~ Paul

Already put a lot of posts into this in that 65 page thread.

Best to direct your questions to Helen Steward. Could also email Tononi while you're at it...

- Bertrand Russell

This refreshes where I landed with this.  Paul's asking a seemingly coherent question, at least to me.  However, I don't see any possible way to answer it.  I simply believe it to be intractable at least based on our present knowledge/insight/intelligence.  Perhaps it will always be so, who knows?

So, while I can't explain how a free decision might be made, I don't find the question interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Silence's post:
  • Ninshub
(2023-02-15, 11:49 PM)Silence Wrote: Paul's asking a seemingly coherent question, at least to me.

What's the question, in your words?

- Bertrand Russell

(2023-02-15, 11:49 PM)Silence Wrote: This refreshes where I landed with this.  Paul's asking a seemingly coherent question, at least to me.  However, I don't see any possible way to answer it.  I simply believe it to be intractable at least based on our present knowledge/insight/intelligence.  Perhaps it will always be so, who knows?

So, while I can't explain how a free decision might be made, I don't find the question interesting.
Greetings, Silence. I find it interesting that you don't find the question interesting. Surprise

~~ Paul
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul C. Anagnostopoulos's post:
  • Ninshub

• View a Printable Version