Fraudulent "psychic" arrested for $800,000 fraud

7 Replies, 818 Views

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018...une-teller

This shit is fucking awful. Angry

These disgusting frauds make genuine psychics and mediums look less trustworthy in the eyes of the ignorant and naive. Sad
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

(This post was last modified: 2018-05-13, 12:33 AM by Valmar.)
(2018-05-13, 12:32 AM)Valmar Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018...une-teller

This shit is fucking awful. Angry

These disgusting frauds make genuine psychics and mediums look less trustworthy in the eyes of the ignorant and naive. Sad

Has this Nygaard character ever investigated a psychic and found them to be “genuine”?
It's interesting that in the linked previous article on Nygaard, it's noted that professing to foretell the future is illegal in New York state, though the law is rarely invoked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Valmar
(2018-05-13, 08:23 AM)Chris Wrote: It's interesting that in the linked previous article on Nygaard, it's noted that professing to foretell the future is illegal in New York state, though the law is rarely invoked.

So I suppose the weather forecasters must be skating on thin ice. Do they foretell the future, or profess to do so?
[-] The following 4 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Dreamsoap, Ninshub, Valmar, Brian
(2018-05-13, 09:13 AM)Typoz Wrote: So I suppose the weather forecasters must be skating on thin ice. Do they foretell the future, or profess to do so?

Yes, that crossed my mind too.

The wording of the statute is:
A person is guilty of fortune telling when, for a fee or compensation which he directly or indirectly solicits or receives, he claims or pretends to tell fortunes, or holds himself out as being able, by claimed or pretended use of occult powers, to answer questions or give advice on personal matters or to exorcise, influence or affect evil spirits or curses; except that this section does not apply to a person who engages in the aforedescribed conduct as part of a show or exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/165.35

Apparently that means that if someone could genuinely tell fortunes by means of real psychic powers, it would be illegal for them to charge a fee for doing it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Guest's post:
  • Dreamsoap, Obiwan, Valmar, Typoz
(2018-05-13, 09:40 AM)Chris Wrote: Yes, that crossed my mind too.

The wording of the statute is:
A person is guilty of fortune telling when, for a fee or compensation which he directly or indirectly solicits or receives, he claims or pretends to tell fortunes, or holds himself out as being able, by claimed or pretended use of occult powers, to answer questions or give advice on personal matters or to exorcise, influence or affect evil spirits or curses; except that this section does not apply to a person who engages in the aforedescribed conduct as part of a show or exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/PEN/165.35

Apparently that means that if someone could genuinely tell fortunes by means of real psychic powers, it would be illegal for them to charge a fee for doing it.
Ok, I guess weather forecasters don't usually invoke occult powers or evil spirits as part of their work, do they? Or maybe it is classed as entertainment. Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • tim, Valmar, Brian
(2018-05-13, 10:11 AM)Typoz Wrote: Ok, I guess weather forecasters don't usually invoke occult powers or evil spirits as part of their work, do they? Or maybe it is classed as entertainment. Wink

I always used to blame the weather man when it rained!
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-13, 10:13 AM by Brian.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Brian's post:
  • tim, Valmar, Typoz
(2018-05-13, 10:11 AM)Typoz Wrote: Ok, I guess weather forecasters don't usually invoke occult powers or evil spirits as part of their work, do they? Or maybe it is classed as entertainment. Wink

Or at least amusement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Typoz

• View a Printable Version