Banned from Skeptiko until 15 Feb

141 Replies, 8938 Views

For replicating post #27 to this thread on Skeptiko post-ban, I have been rebanned by David.

I would like to appeal to David, as I know that he reads this forum: David, what did I say in that post that is either untruthful or unfair? As for truth: all of that which I wrote is solidly backed by evidence. As for fairness: scientific literacy is obviously relevant in a thread about climate science; hence it is perfectly fair to bring up the level (or lack thereof) of scientific literacy of another member in that thread, particularly one who is both posting prolifically to it as well as presenting himself as scientifically literate enough to have an informed (skeptical) opinion of the science.

Furthermore: what do you hope to achieve by banning me? This purely punitive measure changes nothing about me. I have contributed a lot to Skeptiko and would continue to do so if not banned. Wouldn't it be better to have a discussion - either private or public - to work out our differences and how to proceed? You are welcome to initiate that discussion on this forum if you prefer not to unban me to have it on Skeptiko.
(This post was last modified: 2020-01-06, 09:55 AM by Laird.)
This post has been deleted.
(2020-01-06, 09:52 AM)Laird Wrote: For replicating post #27 to this thread on Skeptiko post-ban, I have been rebanned by David.

I would like to appeal to David, as I know that he reads this forum: David, what did I say in that post that is either untruthful or unfair? As for truth: all of that which I wrote is solidly backed by evidence. As for fairness: scientific literacy is obviously relevant in a thread about climate science; hence it is perfectly fair to bring up the level (or lack thereof) of scientific literacy of another member in that thread, particularly one who is both posting prolifically to it as well as presenting himself as scientifically literate enough to have an informed (skeptical) opinion of the science.

Furthermore: what do you hope to achieve by banning me? This purely punitive measure changes nothing about me. I have contributed a lot to Skeptiko and would continue to do so if not banned. Wouldn't it be better to have a discussion - either private or public - to work out our differences and how to proceed? You are welcome to initiate that discussion on this forum if you prefer not to unban me to have it on Skeptiko.
Sorry, but you returned in a very combative fashion, and it really spoils the forum when people just squabble. If you promise to keep away from the moon landings and CC threads I might just give you another chance.

David
(2020-01-06, 11:42 PM)David001 Wrote: I might just give you another chance.

If that's not enough to make you run like the wind from that echo chamber of uncritical thought, you have only yourself to blame...
[-] The following 3 users Like berkelon's post:
  • iPsoFacTo, Silence, Brian
(2020-01-06, 11:42 PM)David001 Wrote: Sorry, but you returned in a very combative fashion

Then let me explain:

I was posting on a thread about global warming. I accept that the threat that global warming poses is significant and existential, and that it is urgent that we as a global civilisation do something about it. Anybody arguing that we need or ought not do anything is putting us all at risk. A strong response to such a person is justified. If their argument is that they understand science and that the science behind global warming is a hoax, then pointing out that in fact they are scientifically illiterate is justified.

Now, I know that you see things differently. You side with the person who argues that we need or ought not do anything. To you it does not matter that somebody who has no relevant expertise makes false claims about climate science. But please try to see things from my perspective to at least understand why I take the approach that I do. Can you try to do that, David?
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • sgetaz, Silence
(2020-01-06, 11:42 PM)David001 Wrote: ... If you promise to keep away from the moon landings and CC threads I might just give you another chance.

David

Yeah c’mon Laird. There’s plenty of other nitwitted conspiracy theory threads you can comment on. Jeez.
(This post was last modified: 2020-01-07, 03:09 AM by malf.)
[-] The following 6 users Like malf's post:
  • sgetaz, Typoz, Brian, Larry, Ninshub, Laird
There's no point arguing about things like climate change on a forum. Words change nothing.
"The cure for bad information is more information."
I think we should be thankful for PsienceQuest.
[-] The following 11 users Like Guest's post:
  • berkelon, Obiwan, chuck, Will, Larry, Typoz, Ninshub, Silence, Brian, Laird, malf
(2020-01-07, 07:28 AM)Chris Wrote: I think we should be thankful for PsienceQuest.

Agreed. And for all of its contributors, with special appreciation for its more prolific, content-producing contributors, who take the time to discover and share relevant information with us, and to seed potential discussions.
[-] The following 3 users Like Laird's post:
  • Obiwan, Ninshub, Brian
(2020-01-07, 04:51 AM)Mediochre Wrote: Words change nothing.

That's obviously not true. Words often catalyse and inspire - and are a primary means of planning and effecting - change. Hence the force of the saying "the pen is mightier than the sword".
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Brian

• View a Printable Version