A plea

79 Replies, 8988 Views

I wish people could make more of an effort to be open to reasonable and courteous discussion - particularly with people who are new to the forum, particularly when they are questioning rather than dictating, and particularly when they make it clear that they are not approaching the subject from a hardline sceptic position.

Questioning our assumptions should never be a bad thing to do, and when the questioner is met with and defensiveness and hostility they are not likely to be persuaded. If newcomers to the site meet with that kind of reaction, we risk alienating people who could make a valuable contribution to the field.
[-] The following 8 users Like Guest's post:
  • berkelon, letseat, Larry, malf, Silence, fls, ParapsychResearcher, Laird
(2019-07-24, 07:46 AM)Chris Wrote: I wish people could make more of an effort to be open to reasonable and courteous discussion - particularly with people who are new to the forum, particularly when they are questioning rather than dictating, and particularly when they make it clear that they are not approaching the subject from a hardline sceptic position.

Questioning our assumptions should never be a bad thing to do, and when the questioner is met with and defensiveness and hostility they are not likely to be persuaded. If newcomers to the site meet with that kind of reaction, we risk alienating people who could make a valuable contribution to the field.
What’s prompted this Chris?
Ah. I see it.
(2019-07-24, 07:51 AM)Obiwan Wrote: What’s prompted this Chris?
I followed this conversation, and it's obvious to me who's the aggressor in this case. And definitely it's not Tim, it was not Tim accusing his opponent of dislexia and, eventually, "low IQ", all while boasting incessantly about his published work. Tim, like any man would, responded to verbal aggression.
[-] The following 3 users Like Enrique Vargas's post:
  • Valmar, Ika Musume, tim
(2019-07-24, 09:29 AM)Enrique Vargas Wrote: I followed this conversation, and it's obvious to me who's the aggressor in this case. And definitely it's not Tim, it was not Tim accusing his opponent of dislexia and, eventually, "low IQ", all while boasting incessantly about his published work. Tim, like any man would, responded to verbal aggression.

Rubbish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • ParapsychResearcher
(2019-07-24, 09:41 AM)Chris Wrote: Rubbish.
Great argument.
[-] The following 5 users Like Enrique Vargas's post:
  • E. Flowers, Larry, Valmar, Ika Musume, tim
(2019-07-24, 09:43 AM)Enrique Vargas Wrote: Great argument.

OK, if you want me to spell it out -

I read the thread too, and I disagree completely. In fact, I think that by trying to blame the original poster for what happened, you are adding insult to injury.

What we had, essentially, was someone asking for empirical evidence of something - something he was inclined to believe, not something he was contesting. The response to that was assertions based on what people had said. He patiently and courteously explained the difference between evidence and assertion several times. In fact, I was surprised at his patience. But the end result was what anyone who has followed similar discussions in the past would have expected - he was accused of being unreasonable for not accepting the assertions, and it all became personal and unpleasant.

I have experienced much the same in the past myself when I've had the temerity to post anything at all sceptical in that area.

The problem with arguments from authority is that the "authorities" can be wrong, new information can emerge, and old assumptions can be superseded. So in my book, anyone who questions assumptions is doing the field a service, and the kind of response we saw here is a gross disservice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • ParapsychResearcher
(2019-07-24, 10:04 AM)Chris Wrote: OK, if you want me to spell it out -

I read the thread too, and I disagree completely. In fact, I think that by trying to blame the original poster for what happened, you are adding insult to injury.

What we had, essentially, was someone asking for empirical evidence of something - something he was inclined to believe, not something he was contesting. The response to that was assertions based on what people had said. He patiently and courteously explained the difference between evidence and assertion several times. In fact, I was surprised at his patience. But the end result was what anyone who has followed similar discussions in the past would have expected - he was accused of being unreasonable for not accepting the assertions, and it all became personal and unpleasant.

I have experienced much the same in the past myself when I've had the temerity to post anything at all sceptical in that area.

The problem with arguments from authority is that the "authorities" can be wrong, new information can emerge, and old assumptions can be superseded. So in my book, anyone who questions assumptions is doing the field a service, and the kind of response we saw here is a gross disservice.

Ah, ok, you bias against Tim is loud and clear. Nothing to talk about.
(This post was last modified: 2019-07-24, 07:07 PM by Laird. Edit Reason: Moved original content out of quote. )
Talks about talks is one thing. But maybe participating in the talks could have calmed things, rather than sniping from the sidelines, which only hardens attitudes.
[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Valmar, Enrique Vargas, tim
Chris Wrote:I wish people could make more of an effort to be open to reasonable and courteous discussion - particularly with people who are new to the forum, particularly when they are questioning rather than dictating, and particularly when they make it clear that they are not approaching the subject from a hardline sceptic position.

There is nothing unreasonable or rude about anything I wrote in that thread until PR took Umbridge about something he deemed to be very important (the song played in the OR).

Vigorous discussion but nothing particularly untoward until PR began to get shirty. I don't see what it's got to do with you BTW ?
You seem to me to me  overtly "touchy" with a very thin skin.
(This post was last modified: 2019-07-24, 11:56 AM by tim.)
[-] The following 3 users Like tim's post:
  • Valmar, Ika Musume, Enrique Vargas

• View a Printable Version