The question of political / conspiracy theory content

327 Replies, 47672 Views

(2017-08-23, 01:38 PM)Ninshub Wrote: Maybe an Emotional Release Thread.

You would be the perfect facilitator!
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • Ninshub
What does it mean for political discussion to be "unrestricted"?
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
(2017-08-23, 05:15 PM)Max_B Wrote: I thought http://www.liberaparolado.com/ was a good place for that, but seems like you've done a Tsakiris on me and dumped the few posts and PM's I put on there...? which is unfortunate
There hadn't been a single post in over a week and my web server was being hit by Russian spammers. I can easily dump the text from the database for anything you posted. Let me know.
[-] The following 3 users Like chuck's post:
  • Ninshub, Max_B, malf
(2017-08-23, 05:15 PM)Max_B Wrote: I thought http://www.liberaparolado.com/ was a good place for that, but seems like you've done a Tsakiris on me and dumped the few posts and PM's I put on there...? which is unfortunate

LOL. I'm exactly like Alex. I have a new install of phpBB that people post on for three days total. Then no one posts for a week and I start getting spammed so I shut down apache2 to protect myself. So funny.  Tongue
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-23, 05:51 PM by chuck.)
[-] The following 3 users Like chuck's post:
  • Obiwan, Sciborg_S_Patel, Max_B
(2017-08-23, 05:24 PM)chuck Wrote: ...my web server was being hit by Russian spammers.

Oh, the irony...
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-23, 06:24 PM by E. Flowers.)
(2017-08-23, 06:22 PM)E. Flowers Wrote: Oh, the irony...

Anybody that has a server on the internet. Hackers from China and Russia are attempting to hack the box about once per minute. It is all automated for them. Crawling the internet for IPs and then just hitting those IPs with standard hacks. Mostly I see ssh authentication attempts. But I was starting to see spammers attempt to register as users for the phpBB forum as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • Ninshub
(2017-08-23, 02:39 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: What does it mean for political discussion to be "unrestricted"?

What I meant by that (assuming you're referring to the poll) was something like "Any time anybody wanted to post a political thread in 'Other Stuff' (or, if we set things up this way, in publicly visible subforums tailored to political/CT posts), they could do so, without any limitations being imposed". Unfortunately, there is a limitation on the length of poll questions, so I couldn't go into that level of detail.
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-23, 11:45 PM by Laird.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Ninshub
Just a short note to let folks know about the timeframe of the poll. This is what I've added to the bottom of the one and only post in the poll thread: Unless anybody objects, we'll call the result a week after this poll was started (i.e. a week after whichever date you see for [the poll thread's first and only] post, hopefully given that you have set your timezone in the control panel). We will, however, leave the poll open indefinitely after that to see if/how the results change over time.
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-24, 08:42 AM by Laird.)
This post has been deleted.

• View a Printable Version