Search Results
    Thread: Mega-thread for help with rebuttals against skeptical talking points
Post: RE: Mega-thread for help with rebuttals against sk...

Considering his upcoming book he likely hasn’t changed his mind. Him being attached to these studies is probably for a more practical purpose: to use terminal lucidity as a means for curing things lik...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-09-12, 11:30 PM
 24,455     288

OmniVersalNexus Wrote: (2020-08-11, 10:47 PM) -- I see. Alternatively I have heard it described as the 'Materialism of the Gaps' fallacy, inserting materialist speculation or wishful thinking in tryi...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-11, 11:04 PM
 24,455     288

OmniVersalNexus Wrote: (2020-08-11, 10:28 PM) -- Hey guys, so this question is based on something that's been bugging me since I got into this stuff, which is based on the retort often made by diehar...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-11, 10:40 PM
 24,455     288
    Thread: Quora user claims to have 'solved consciousness' via AGI theory?
Post: RE: Quora user claims to have 'solved consciousnes...

Typoz Wrote: (2020-08-11, 11:44 AM) -- There is one other thing I forgot to mention. That is, our human languages, with words, grammar and so on. I think that is handled by the brain too. When som...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-11, 11:55 AM
 5,288     43

OmniVersalNexus Wrote: (2020-08-11, 08:05 AM) -- Last time I checked, he's not exactly made a good name for himself online. Even the computationalists don't like him and think he's chatting nonsense....
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-11, 11:49 AM
 5,288     43

Typoz Wrote: (2020-08-11, 07:57 AM) -- There's lot of people pinning their hopes on information processing. It really doesn't move me at all. It is just too close to following the trend of latching o...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-11, 11:20 AM
 5,288     43

So against my better judgement I took a look at Rehl’s quora page. There were some odd things that I thought might be of interest. The first thing is that while he is of the “brain makes mind” para...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-11, 06:32 AM
 5,288     43

Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: (2020-08-08, 11:44 PM) -- Lol, sure...just happened to be around to post right after I asked where you were...come on. You and Omni are the same person or in cahoots. Just a...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-08, 11:53 PM
 24,455     288

Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: (2020-08-08, 11:09 PM) -- Also whatever happened to your buddy Silver? And your therapist who is a proponent and big believer in reincarnation research? Lol. -- I said ...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-08-08, 11:40 PM
 24,455     288
    Thread: Why splitting the brain doesn't split consciousness
Post: RE: Why splitting the brain doesn't split consciou...

nbtruthman Wrote: (2020-07-09, 03:36 PM) -- Spiritualism has some teachings that explain things like Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD). Perhaps they could also at least partially explain in a non-m...
Posted by Silver in General Consciousness Science , 2020-07-09, 07:19 PM
 1,503     16
    Thread: Why splitting the brain doesn't split consciousness
Post: RE: Why splitting the brain doesn't split consciou...

So my minds been stuck on the split brain stuff again so I’ve formulated those thoughts to get them out of my head and hopefully add to the conversation. The person from that 2017 paper actually has ...
Posted by Silver in General Consciousness Science , 2020-07-09, 12:24 AM
 1,503     16
    Thread: How would you respond to these rebuttals to Terminal Lucidity?
Post: RE: How would you respond to these rebuttals to Te...

I’m really not him. I don’t really get why we’d be the same person. What’d the point of bringing up those skeptical articles and then have a separate account to be against it? Plus I’m more a lurker a...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-06, 12:55 AM
 1,527     15

It’s been awhile so I don’t fully remember. Some of the stuff I was already aware of, other stuff I wasn’t (like Mark Mahin’s blogs).
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-06, 12:44 AM
 1,527     15

He’s definitely not a skeptic Sci. The whole reason I know about this forum is cuz of a post he made on Reddit saying how this was a good source of info. I think he just overreacts to some of the skep...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-06, 12:09 AM
 1,527     15

I’ll respond to the neuroplasticity criticism since I think that’s a genuine one. And to make clear this is just me trying to think logically, I’m no plasticity expert. The reason why I think TL can’t...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-05, 10:46 PM
 1,527     15
    Thread: Is the Filter Theory committing the ad hoc fallacy and is it unfalsifiable?
Post: RE: Is the Filter Theory committing the ad hoc fal...

Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: (2020-07-04, 10:13 PM) -- I just think we need to account for the world impacting the mind -> Diets and Depression, Alcohol, Psychedelics, etc. A reduction valve, to me, get...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-05, 12:29 AM
 31,799     629
    Thread: How the brain 'generates and loses consciousness'
Post: RE: How the brain 'generates and loses consciousne...

This is from the recent psychedelic thread, from Sci, but I figured it was relevant to this: “Yeah, it's correlation.  The issue regarding Consciousness - by which I mean Subjective Feeling, Use of ...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-05, 12:15 AM
 930     5
    Thread: Is the Filter Theory committing the ad hoc fallacy and is it unfalsifiable?

Not sure honestly, I just remember seeing the reduction valve idea talked about a lot in relation to the filter theory. I guess the reduction valve idea would help explain scenarios where brain damage...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-04, 09:37 PM
 31,799     629

Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: (2020-07-04, 09:15 PM) -- I guess it depends on what, exactly is being filtered? I'd have to review the history of the filter/transmitter theory, but IIRC it came about - in...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-04, 09:28 PM
 31,799     629
    Thread: How the brain 'generates and loses consciousness'
Post: RE: How the brain 'generates and loses consciousne...

I’m not that familiar with neuroscience either, I’ve just noticed that from reading about this stuff people will use the term consciousness for multiple things. Based on how the article talks about co...
Posted by Silver in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-07-04, 09:18 PM
 930     5