Psience Quest

Full Version: Roundo: our new mobile-friendly theme, proposed to be set as default
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
(2023-02-09, 05:34 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]My finger covers all three of them.

I've added a fair bit more spacing, and even more for low-width mobile devices (<=540px).

(2023-02-09, 05:34 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I just want to set my preferred setting at the bottom of the page.

I've instead combined Roundo Light and Roundo Darko into one theme with mode switch icons primarily for these two reasons:
  1. It is the best way to implement the third mode: auto-detection of the user's OS colour scheme preference (via CSS). Trying to detect the user's preference via Javascript and switching themes based on that preference would, in my assessment, be messy and error-prone.
  2. It requires excessive maintenance to support two separate themes.

(2023-02-09, 05:34 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I’m trying black, going back to white, closing my iPhone browser, when I reopen I’m back to black, so I have to set it again.

I'm not sure what's causing that. Persistence is working fine for me. Note that the persistence mechanism differs between logged in members and guests. For members, persistence is implemented via a custom user setting, so, if you change the mode on one device, it will change on all other devices on which you're logged in (when you next load a page on those devices). For guests, persistence is implemented via a cookie. It applies only to the browser on which the guest is browsing.

Perhaps you switched between accessing as a member and as a guest, or perhaps you were accessing as a guest and your iPhone browser deletes cookies when you close it?

Otherwise, I'm happy to try to debug this issue with you if you manage to identify a recipe to reliably reproduce it.

(2023-02-09, 05:37 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]They also take up space on the header, and thus reduce screen space for browsing the site

I've solved this problem by switching to a small, square logo on low-width devices (again, <=540px).

(2023-02-09, 06:46 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I can confirm one positive: the auto selection of dark or light based upon operating system setting does seem to work

Good to know.

(2023-02-09, 06:46 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]A brief comment, the new dark style of the Roundo theme has some text which is virtually invisible against the background. That's the same sort of issue with low-contrast as occurred with the 'Light' theme.

Yep, I've noticed that too, in particular, the dropdown box text (prior to dropping them down), and date-times. I'll try to resolve those at some point. In the meantime, please let me know of any other text that you notice which is problematic in this way.

(2023-02-09, 07:11 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]One other issue I wanted to mention: the 'Active Threads' screen.

[...]

I found that display quite incomprehensible, a lot of scraps of information scattered over the display with no sense of what any of it meant.

Later in the day I found I could get the same effect on windows by changing the width of the window.

Yep, my best guess, without carefully examining the stylesheets, is that this styling is applied to tables at widths of 1200px and below, because there is only so far that a table can be "squished" before it reaches its minimum width and starts to extend horizontally beyond the browser's page width, necessitating horizontal scrolling, which is not appropriate for a properly responsive (mobile-friendly) design. I guess/understand that the styling turns a two-dimensional table into a one-dimensional column, taking table cells from left to right and then top to bottom, and omitting any table header rows.

I agree that when it's applied, the result lacks comprehensibility (even, to an extent, when you understand how it was applied). I am open to ideas as to how to do it better. In the meantime, I think that it kicks in at way too large a width (again: 1200px), and will experiment to try to find a more appropriate width.

(2023-02-09, 08:11 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I also closed my browser, and cleared my cache, logged back in, and the main middle section of the front page with latest posts (between menu links, and bottom header with newest member), has a spinning circle and fails to load now.

Again, I can't reproduce this, and, again, I am happy to try to debug it with you if you can reliably reproduce it.

(2023-02-10, 11:07 AM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]it seemed to think I was already in MyBB format

Hmm, that's happened to me too, two or three times - I dismissed it as probably having something to do with all the tinkering I was doing, but apparently, given that you've also experienced it, there's more to it than that. I can't reproduce it at the moment though.

(2023-02-10, 11:07 AM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]it lost the fact that I was logged in!

Huh. I'm not sure how that happened. I doubt that the theme was responsible for it though, at least not directly. As per my offers to Max, I'm happy to try to debug this with you if you find a way to reliably reproduce it.

(2023-02-10, 11:07 AM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]That brought me back to where I started from - the new theme

Did you check the Theme Selector again, and, if so, was it correctly showing "Roundo Light" or was it, again, incorrectly showing "MyBB Default"?

(2023-02-10, 11:07 AM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, before there was an alerts panel with an option to remove all alerts.

There still is. Clicking "Alerts ([num])" in the header (or after clicking the "☰ Menu" if you're on a mobile device) pops up the Alerts modal box, at the bottom of which you can click one of Mark All Read, Delete Read Alerts, and Delete All Alerts, or, you can click View Alerts, where, on the page that loads, you have access to the same links.

(2023-02-10, 11:07 AM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]at the moment my alerts don't seem to cancel even when Iclick on them.

How are you judging that they are not cancelled?
(2023-02-10, 04:34 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]There still is. Clicking "Alerts ([num])" in the header (or after clicking the "☰ Menu" if you're on a mobile device) pops up the Alerts modal box, at the bottom of which you can click one of Mark All Read, Delete Read Alerts, and Delete All Alerts, or, you can click View Alerts, where, on the page that loads, you have access to the same links.
I discovered later that the alerts now go into a separate window that can (and did) flow off the bottom of the containing window. There is a scroll bar, but it is hard to spot. Thus it was my mistake, but the old alerts were displayed in a popup panel, and so were much easier to see.
(2023-02-10, 04:34 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]How are you judging that they are not cancelled?

Well the menu item for alerts which contains the number of alerts doesn't go back down.
(2023-02-10, 11:07 AM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]it seemed to think I was already in MyBB format

I think I've found the culprit for this - and it's a MyBB core error. Without doing any testing, just by eyeballing the code, it looks as though the correct dropdown item isn't marked as selected when a logged-in member has never changed his/her theme, and thus their theme ID (`tid`) is (as it was upon registration) zero, indicating to use whichever theme is the board default. This goes unnoticed when the board default is the first item in the dropdown, but in our case, it's not.

(2023-02-10, 09:04 PM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]I discovered later that the alerts now go into a separate window that can (and did) flow off the bottom of the containing window. There is a scroll bar, but it is hard to spot. Thus it was my mistake, but the old alerts were displayed in a popup panel, and so were much easier to see.

I'm not really sure what you're describing, but, in any case, I forgot to mention that there was a bug with the alerts popup that I fixed in between your post which I'd last responded to and the one to which I'm responding: in responsive mode, when clicking on the "☰ Menu" and then clicking "Alerts ([num])", although the alerts popup would pop up, it would be hidden behind the menu brought up by "☰ Menu". I've fixed that so that the alerts popup now pops up above the menu from which it was accessed.

You might, in any case, be encountering the issue that in responsive mode, the alerts popup on common mobile devices exceeds the browser window's height, and thus scrolling is necessary to view all of it. This is partly due to the issue raised earlier, in which Roundo converts 2D tables into 1D columns.

(2023-02-10, 09:08 PM)David001 Wrote: [ -> ]Well the menu item for alerts which contains the number of alerts doesn't go back down.

Huh. That's odd. I'm not experiencing the same thing. When you click on an alert, does it at least redirect to its target post?
(2023-02-10, 04:34 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]I've added a fair bit more spacing, and even more for low-width mobile devices (<=540px).

Fixed. It's no longer obtrusive, and fits my fingers.

Quote:I've instead combined Roundo Light and Roundo Darko into one theme with mode switch icons primarily for these two reasons:
  1. It is the best way to implement the third mode: auto-detection of the user's OS colour scheme preference (via CSS). Trying to detect the user's preference via Javascript and switching themes based on that preference would, in my assessment, be messy and error-prone.
  2. It requires excessive maintenance to support two separate themes.

As you've fixed the previous issue, this is no longer an issue, plus I see the logic.

Quote:I'm not sure what's causing that. Persistence is working fine for me. Note that the persistence mechanism differs between logged in members and guests. For members, persistence is implemented via a custom user setting, so, if you change the mode on one device, it will change on all other devices on which you're logged in (when you next load a page on those devices). For guests, persistence is implemented via a cookie. It applies only to the browser on which the guest is browsing.

Perhaps you switched between accessing as a member and as a guest, or perhaps you were accessing as a guest and your iPhone browser deletes cookies when you close it?

Otherwise, I'm happy to try to debug this issue with you if you manage to identify a recipe to reliably reproduce it.

Haven't tried enough to reproduce it.

Quote:I've solved this problem by switching to a small, square logo on low-width devices (again, <=540px).

Sorted.

Quote:Me: I also closed my browser, and cleared my cache, logged back in, and the main middle section of the front page with latest posts (between menu links, and bottom header with newest member), has a spinning circle and fails to load now.
You: Again, I can't reproduce this, and, again, I am happy to try to debug it with you if you can reliably reproduce it.

I will try it a few times if I get time over the weekend, but it has just happened again - slightly differently - the one time I logged out/in on my iphone. It looks like the server is doing a lot of processing (I'm guessing to calculate the 'new' blue post location on threads for my account). If I log out, clear cache, and log back in. Only seems to happen the first time I interact/or need an update [with new blue/site]. I had one existing new blue available, and upon clicking it, the server took a very long time to respond to serve the page, perhaps 20-30s. The previous time above, I had a few existing new blue's available, and I gave up waiting. Anyway, it might give you a clue... I don't know how new blue functions...
I've produced a new transparent png logo which is a bit bolder... the original blue for the old site is clashy with the new site colours, the compass design is too wide for the responsive site, and the old design just looks tired on the new site, you also need both light and dark versions... See what you think? (These are 500px wide logo's without any padding).

[Image: psiencequest_logo_dark_500px.png]

[Image: psiencequest_logo_light_500px.png]
I did attempt a logo with a less clashy blue... but wasn't as happy with how it stood out on dark and light backgrounds... here's a comparison...

[Image: test.jpg]
(2023-02-12, 11:41 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I did attempt a logo with a less clashy blue... but wasn't as happy with how it stood out on dark and light backgrounds... here's a comparison...

Personally I prefer the blue. The red feels a bit too aggressive for me, it jars somewhat.

I wonder whether a vertical fade from red to blue might be interesting. Or at least some way to include both colours as they do appear blended together in some parts of the Roundo theme.

Quick example to show the idea:
[attachment=308]
(2023-02-12, 01:41 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Personally I prefer the blue. The red feels a bit too aggressive for me, it jars somewhat.

I wonder whether a vertical fade from red to blue might be interesting. Or at least some way to include both colours as they do appear blended together in some parts of the Roundo theme.

Quick example to show the idea:

I find the linear blend makes the psi less distinct... so that it gets lost. I toyed with it, because this linear colour blend occurs elsewhere, but dismissed it myself. I wanted to separate psi from ence using colour (3d bevel, shadow and italic), but using the same font. But I find splitting psi into a multiple colour blends has no similar logic, and just tends to camouflage it and make it less distinct IMO?

I don't much like the pink myself, but that's on the site. The blue just doesn't work as well on the black, and looks weak on the white IMO.
I was wondering what could be done to make the quote's clearer... I find it difficult to distinguish post/quote (particularly a problem on Sci's posts as he likes large quotes), I like them not having any different font (italic/size), but I do think they need perhaps a feint background colour change to distinguish them.

I notice we've lost signatures too?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13