Psience Quest

Full Version: Roundo: our new mobile-friendly theme, proposed to be set as default
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Are you swapping the default over to the new Roundo light/dark design?
Yes, and I'm regretful of the delay in doing so, but I've had another task that I needed to prioritise, and which has taken longer than I would have liked. Hopefully, I'll finalise that task in the next hour or so and can then take care of the Roundo theme swap.
Am starting the process now. For those using the default theme ("Roundo Light"), there might be a few glitches until the process is complete.
The migration is now complete. I've deleted the testing/staging version of the theme to avoid confusion. Those who were using the testing/staging version should have been auto-switched to the new default, which is now identical.
Thank god dark mode is in.
(2023-02-20, 08:39 AM)letseat Wrote: [ -> ]Thank god dark mode is in.

I think should make Roundo default to dark, rather than white, as the default view. It's a much better, modern, experience for new visitors.
(2023-02-20, 01:57 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I think   should make Roundo default to dark, rather than white, as the default view. It's a much better, modern, experience for new visitors.

The current default is auto-detect (the rightmost colour mode icon), and, in that mode, Roundo respects any setting that the new visitor has made in their operating system or browser. I had set my preference in my KDE[1] settings to dark mode, so, by default, Roundo shows in dark mode for me, but other visitors might have explicitly set their setting to light, in which case, I think we should respect it rather than force dark mode on them. I'm not sure that there's much point to the auto-detect setting if we don't default to it! Other sites that I browse on the web respect my KDE setting too, at least when I use Firefox, which I quite like.

[1] KDE is the K Desktop Environment, which I use for my Linux desktop.
(2023-02-20, 11:33 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]The current default is auto-detect (the rightmost colour mode icon), and, in that mode, Roundo respects any setting that the new visitor has made in their operating system or browser. I had set my preference in my KDE[1] settings to dark mode, so, by default, Roundo shows in dark mode for me, but other visitors might have explicitly set their setting to light, in which case, I think we should respect it rather than force dark mode on them. I'm not sure that there's much point to the auto-detect setting if we don't default to it! Other sites that I browse on the web respect my KDE setting too, at least when I use Firefox, which I quite like.

[1] KDE is the K Desktop Environment, which I use for my Linux desktop.

Obviously I'm only suggesting this, if they have no light preference set, i.e. default 'Automatic' in foxfire... currently the site defaults to light, I'm just suggesting it defaults to dark?
(2023-02-21, 12:13 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously I'm only suggesting this, if they have no light preference set, i.e. default 'Automatic' in foxfire... currently the site defaults to light, I'm just suggesting it defaults to dark?

Forget that, I realise I haven't understood the definition of 'automatic' as being the users computer system, and not what I assumed was the web site owners preferred scheme
I've made a change that I hope enhances the theme slightly: in responsive mode, rather than showing a second header row with the text "☰ Menu", now only the one header row is shown, with the hamburger symbol (☰) to the far left (i.e., omitting the "Menu" text, which seems redundant). Clicking on the hamburger symbol brings up the same menu as before. The motivation behind this change is to save on vertical space, which is more precious on mobile devices.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13