Psience Quest

Full Version: Banned from Skeptiko until 15 Feb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2019-12-27, 08:29 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]This time it was gravity. He thought it acted so as to reduce a pendulum's motion.

Lol.

Maybe gravity is his kryptonite. The acceleration was due to gravity in the case I mentioned.

Linda
(2019-12-27, 08:29 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]This time it was gravity. He thought it acted so as to reduce a pendulum's motion.
To be fair to LS gravity does play a role. However, the affect is negligible over the time span LS professes. He's also ignorant for not recognizing an orbiting celestial body is a pendulum two body system subject only to gravity's affect. Such a frictionless system maintain it's velocity for considerable amounts of time.
(2019-12-27, 07:58 PM)fls Wrote: [ -> ]My favorite Lone Shaman fail was the Moon Landing discussion thread where he didn't understand how acceleration worked. Smile 

Linda
I skimmed the thread. What did he write? Or a link will suffice.
(2019-12-27, 09:40 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair to LS gravity does play a role. However, the affect is negligible over the time span LS professes.

Oh boy. It really doesn't (play a role or have an effect). In the absence of friction, air resistance, and a host of other miniscule effects that creative physicists have identified, an ideal pendulum would swing forever (under the influence of gravity).

Unless you mean that gravity is (I think) proportional to friction at the fulcrum point? In which case, then, yes, gravity does play a role in some sense. Or unless you are referring to one of those creative miniscule effects: loss of energy due to gravity gravitational waves (which I don't pretend to understand, but saw referenced at that link)?
(2019-12-27, 08:53 PM)fls Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe gravity is his kryptonite. The acceleration was due to gravity in the case I mentioned.

I think his kryptonite is physics (and science) as a whole. He is under so many misapprehensions. For example, another one is his belief that applying a constant force to a pendulum, such as having a constant stream of air blowing upon it from an air vent, would counteract the damping effects of friction and air resistance sufficiently to keep the pendulum swinging indefinitely... this, in fact, was his explanation for why a bag swinging on the moon (in a video) wasn't really swinging on the moon - it was swinging in an atmosphere on Earth subject to such a constant force which kept it swinging for as long as it did. Skeptic
I'm sure I'm being hypocritical in that I've likely done it myself (especially when i was first banned from Skeptiko) but it's probably a good idea to leave discussions/issues over there rather than using this forum as a means to complain about threads/topics/mods/etc on SF.

After all Lone Shaman can't defend himself here, unless he has an account I'm unaware of. Huh
(2019-12-28, 08:44 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]After all Lone Shaman can't defend himself here, unless he has an account I'm unaware of. Huh

He can't defend himself in any case: he is simply wrong. At best he can admit as much.

But he's perfectly welcome to create an account here. Or to respond on Skeptiko. This is all public.

You're probably right though that Skeptiko stuff shouldn't be brought over to this forum.
(2019-12-28, 02:15 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Oh boy. It really doesn't (play a role or have an effect). In the absence of friction, air resistance, and a host of other miniscule effects that creative physicists have identified, an ideal pendulum would swing forever (under the influence of gravity).

Unless you mean that gravity is (I think) proportional to friction at the fulcrum point? In which case, then, yes, gravity does play a role in some sense. Or unless you are referring to one of those creative miniscule effects: loss btw, of energy due to gravity waves (which I don't pretend to understand, but saw referenced at that link)?
If you'll reread the post you'll see we are saying the same thing.  In other words what I said was the affect is so small that it is irrelevant. Btw, gravity waves only occur on planetary bodies; they are not gravitational waves which is a distortion of space. I'm pretty sure you've seen gravity waves. Gravity waves
(2019-12-28, 01:28 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]If you'll reread the post you'll see we are saying the same thing.  In other words what I said was the affect is so small that it is irrelevant.

No, we're not saying the same thing. You're saying there is a very small effect; I am saying there is none at all.

But I take your point that I ought to have written "gravitational" waves where I wrote "gravity" waves. I am not familiar with those areas of physics.
(2019-12-28, 01:47 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]No, we're not saying the same thing. You're saying there is a very small effect; I am saying there is none at all.
Why is there no affect? Remember in the real world there is no such thing as an "ideal pendulum".
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14