Psience Quest

Full Version: Banned from Skeptiko until 15 Feb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(2019-12-28, 09:14 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Enjoy it Tim!
I'm having a little tipple myself - but I need to pace myself, it's only the 4th day of Christmas, and after that it starts all over again with the eastern Orthodox tradition Wink

Sounds good, Typoz ! All the best to you !
(2019-12-28, 09:58 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I can't take credit for preserving any information on Skeptiko, tim, other than by being one of the many people who encouraged Alex to "undelete" the forums that he rashly deleted around the time PQ started (even though he refused to go so far as re-opening them to posting).

ETA: Although you might be thinking of the occasion just after PQ's founding when I used my FUPS software to scrape all of the posts in those forums just prior to Alex deleting them - a scrape which is now no longer necessary given that Alex has "undeleted" those forums.

Well yes, partly, Laird. But as I remember, you put a lot of energy and time into that forum. Never mind, everything changes.
(2019-12-28, 10:59 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Well yes, partly, Laird. But as I remember, you put a lot of energy and time into that forum. Never mind, everything changes.

Yes, I have certainly put a lot of energy and time into the Index of Skeptiko threads & related resources that I maintain. Dozens if not hundreds of hours all up.

You're right, though - everything changes, and it might well be that I end up getting permanently banned from that forum, in which case, I will no doubt put more time and energy into this one.
Oh, and, tim: bottoms up! Enjoy your Chrissie brews!
(2019-12-28, 09:50 PM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]Affect is a verb and effect is a noun
I asked Laird why gravity cannot affect a pendulum. I did not ask what effect gravity has on a pendulum. See the difference?   Perhaps this may clear away the fog.   Affect vs effect
(2019-12-28, 08:41 PM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]I explained that here:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/do...ost-137409

Oh, and tim is right that you should have used "effect" there. The difference is that "affect" is a verb (except where it's being used to describe an emotional state, in which case it is also a noun, as in "this patient's affect is blunted"), and "effect" is a noun (except where "effect(s)" is being used as a synonym for "cause(s)", in which case it is also a verb, as in "the factory machine effects another product").

You were using "affect" as a noun there.

Unfortunately, tim got a little confused himself, and also used "affect" as a noun!

I think what you meant to say here, tim, is "Yes, gravity 'affects' an object, and the effect is the result (falling)".
Click the link in post 70.
(2019-12-29, 02:27 AM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]Click the link in post 70.

I did. It supports my view. "Affect" is a verb, but you used it as a noun.
Here's a way to look at it, Steve001. You wrote:

(2019-12-28, 02:13 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]Why is there no affect?

Now, we can ask which sort of words fit grammatically, and could grammatically replace, "affect" in that sentence.

For example, we could replace that word to come up with grammatical sentences such as:

"Why is there no tree?", or
"Why is there no colour?", or
"Why is there no sun?"

"Tree", "colour", and "sun" are nouns. They fit.

OK. Now, how about verbs? Let's pick some at semi-random and see whether they fit:

"Why is there no think?", or
"Why is there no feel?", or
"Why is there no pretend?"

They don't quite fit, do they? They're grammatically awkward.

Clearly, the right fit for your sentence is a noun, not a verb. And, as your link demonstrates, the noun form of effect/affect is "effect". Which is what you should have used.

Fair enough?
Are people seriously arguing about the definitions of affect and effect?
Some of us have way too much time on our hands, huh, Mediochre?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14