Psience Quest

Full Version: Darwin Unhinged: The Bugs in Evolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-01-27, 09:56 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]If we can't understand God's mind even less of a reason to worship it?

We know god’s mind through scripture though. He’s neurotic and insecure (which is why you capitalised the G.  Big Grin    )
(2019-01-27, 10:27 PM)malf Wrote: [ -> ]We know god’s mind through scripture though. He’s neurotic and insecure (which is why you capitalised the G.  Big Grin    )

Heh, I was thinking it's easier to distinguish God as in either the First Being or Ground of Being from deities that would be spirits with power over some domain (Luck, Storms, etc).

Not sure anyone here even uses "God" as referring to a being described in religious scripture?
(2019-01-27, 11:55 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure anyone here even uses "God" as referring to a being described in religious scripture?

Apart from the atheists. Go figure.
(2019-01-27, 11:55 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Heh, I was thinking it's easier to distinguish God as in either the First Being or Ground of Being from deities that would be spirits with power over some domain (Luck, Storms, etc).

How is that easier, and for whom?

Quote:Not sure anyone here even uses "God" as referring to a being described in religious scripture?

Despite the shared arguments Wink
(2019-01-28, 04:01 AM)malf Wrote: [ -> ]How is that easier, and for whom?

Easier b/c it's in line with the global use of the term -> People using the word God (with capital G) are talking about an entity that at the least ordered the primordial chaos to make the universe, though people disagree about the existence of this being's current status.

When people talk about gods like Athena or Thoth, using the lower case "g", they see them as entities in plural with dominion over different domains (Knowledge, War, Death, etc).

Quote:Despite the shared arguments Wink

Sure, but skeptics often share many of the same arguments as the nihilists who say materialism means human existence is completely worthless. (Of course the nihilist are correct [about materialism], unless there's something serious in "compatibilitism"...but I believe that's the kind of torturous semantic gaming you dislike about philosophy?)

Heck many proponents and skeptics share baseline assumptions, for example physics says something relevant about our experienced reality is assumed by both sides - the difference being how much about reality is captured.
(2019-01-28, 05:25 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, but skeptics often share many of the same arguments as the nihilists who say materialism means human existence is completely worthless. (Of course the nihilist are correct ...

Had to read this twice before I realised that you weren't saying that nihilists - and materialists - are correct but that you are saying that nihilists are correct in their interpretation of materialism. Phew!
(2019-01-28, 05:57 AM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]Had to read this twice before I realised that you weren't saying that nihilists - and materialists - are correct but that you are saying that nihilists are correct in their interpretation of materialism. Phew!

good point, made an edit - sorry for the confusion!
(2019-01-28, 05:25 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Easier b/c it's in line with the global use of the term -> People using the word God (with capital G) are talking about an entity that at the least ordered the primordial chaos to make the universe, though people disagree about the existence of this being's current status.
I'm not. I use a large 'G' simply to distinguish it from the small 'g'. I don't hold any of the attached connotations stated here. My concept is not limited to or hemmed in by human descriptions which tend to outline something rather trivial from my perspective.

Quote:When people talk about gods like Athena or Thoth, using the lower case "g", they see them as entities in plural with dominion over different domains (Knowledge, War, Death, etc).
In  my view, the small 'g' variety are for the most part simply deceased human beings, their stories enhanced or embroidered over time, possibly breaking the connection with the actual being in the process.
(2019-01-28, 08:15 AM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not. I use a large 'G' simply to distinguish it from the small 'g'. I don't hold any of the attached connotations stated here. My concept is not limited to or hemmed in by human descriptions which tend to outline something rather trivial from my perspective.

Could you say more about your concept?
I’m going to stick my head above the parapet and say it’s all big G God!!! 

Run away, Run away... Big Grin