The longer you live, the less likely your soul will survive death? (aware of aware)

7 Replies, 586 Views

https://awareofaware.co/2021/05/17/the-l...th-discuss

Bit of a curious post I found today. I don't think I agree with it, but would like to know what you guys think.
(2021-05-24, 07:09 AM)Smaw Wrote: https://awareofaware.co/2021/05/17/the-l...th-discuss

Bit of a curious post I found today. I don't think I agree with it, but would like to know what you guys think.

[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, '.SFNSText-Regular', sans-serif]This is a complete nonsense that goes against the data accumulated over close to a century of NDE and other paranormal phenomena research. [font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, '.SFNSText-Regular', sans-serif]BTW, SDE’s that so many hospice workers report occur in elderly subjects, and the percentage of this phenomenon statistically isn’t any lower in elderly experiencers that NDE’s in younger subjects. To sum it up, this guy simply has no idea what he’s talking about[/font][/font]
(2021-05-24, 07:18 AM)Enrique Vargas Wrote: [font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, '.SFNSText-Regular', sans-serif]This is a complete nonsense that goes against the data accumulated over close to a century of NDE and other paranormal phenomena research. [font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui, '.SFNSText-Regular', sans-serif]BTW, SDE’s that so many hospice workers report occur in elderly subjects, and the percentage of this phenomenon statistically isn’t any lower in elderly experiencers that NDE’s in younger subjects. To sum it up, this guy simply has no idea what he’s talking about[/font][/font]

I'm pretty sure actually, not to say that I agree with him, that elderly people do report less NDEs than younger ones. There's certainly lots of reports from hospice workers and the like but just those on their own doesn't help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smaw's post:
  • Stan Woolley
(2021-05-24, 07:22 AM)Smaw Wrote: I'm pretty sure actually, not to say that I agree with him, that elderly people do report less NDEs than younger ones. There's certainly lots of reports from hospice workers and the like but just those on their own doesn't help.

Let’s look at this from a logical standpoint. To me it makes more sense if ‘classic’ NDEs were to be experienced by younger people that still have significant time to change path or do whatever they have to do, not least some time (years if not decades) to process the event. Older people will no longer have the luxury of such time.

There will no doubt be exceptions to this. Of course older people are naturally closer to the time that their life is at an end, and may need some help during the process. So it’s natural that they sometimes have experiences that they pass on to loved ones or nurses. They may be life changing for them, but I think they are not really the same as NDEs. NDEs seem to be for this life, whereas end of life spiritual experiences may be to ease people into the next dimension.

Just my thoughts.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
(This post was last modified: 2021-05-24, 08:31 AM by Stan Woolley.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Larry, Typoz, Smaw
(2021-05-24, 07:22 AM)Smaw Wrote: I'm pretty sure actually, not to say that I agree with him, that elderly people do report less NDEs than younger ones. There's certainly lots of reports from hospice workers and the like but just those on their own doesn't help.

I'm talking about SDEs (Shared Death Experience), not NDEs. Researchers like Moody or Fanwick consider them even mor important evidence of the afterlife, given that they occur to perfectly lucid people. In fact, Moody says that SDE's were the final straw that tipped the scale for him in favor of considering survival 100% proven. Well SDE's, pre.mortem lucidity or deathbed visions, those are phenomena that occur mainly in elderly, and they are extremely numerous. Moody talks about them in his Glimpses of Eternity, Fanwick and Sartori also talk about them a lot.
[-] The following 4 users Like Enrique Vargas's post:
  • Larry, Raimo, Typoz, Smaw
(2021-05-24, 09:13 AM)Enrique Vargas Wrote: I'm talking about SDEs (Shared Death Experience), not NDEs. Researchers like Moody or Fanwick consider them even mor important evidence of the afterlife, given that they occur to perfectly lucid people. In fact, Moody says that SDE's were the final straw that tipped the scale for him in favor of considering survival 100% proven. Well SDE's, pre.mortem lucidity or deathbed visions, those are phenomena that occur mainly in elderly, and they are extremely numerous. Moody talks about them in his Glimpses of Eternity, Fanwick and Sartori also talk about them a lot.

See I do agree with you. I think maybe, AwareofAware in this might be putting too many eggs in the NDE basket? There's definitely a question to be asked about why older people don't have NDEs as often, but if you look at things other than plain NDEs, SDEs like you said, maybe even mediumship, deathbed visions ect I don't think it's reasonable to say that elderly people just don't survive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smaw's post:
  • Enrique Vargas
(2021-05-24, 09:27 AM)Smaw Wrote: See I do agree with you. I think maybe, AwareofAware in this might be putting too many eggs in the NDE basket? There's definitely a question to be asked about why older people don't have NDEs as often, but if you look at things other than plain NDEs, SDEs like you said, maybe even mediumship, deathbed visions etc. I don't think it's reasonable to say that elderly people just don't survive.

Exactly. The phenomena goes well beyond NDEs, there are SDEs, deathbed visions, pre-mortem lucidity, mediumship, after death communications, etc. Besides, it would be plausible to suggest that elderly simply have memory issues when the return to their bodies after experiencing an NDE, due to the deteriorated state of their brain. There is already a theory that says that the actual number of NDE-ers is much higher; most people who have lived through cardiac arrest or a similar NDE-causing event simply don't remember them, or start recollecting them years and years later.
(This post was last modified: 2021-05-24, 09:52 AM by Enrique Vargas.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Enrique Vargas's post:
  • Smaw, Typoz
(2021-05-24, 09:27 AM)Smaw Wrote: See I do agree with you. I think maybe, AwareofAware in this might be putting too many eggs in the NDE basket? There's definitely a question to be asked about why older people don't have NDEs as often, but if you look at things other than plain NDEs, SDEs like you said, maybe even mediumship, deathbed visions ect I don't think it's reasonable to say that elderly people just don't survive.

"There's definitely a question to be asked about why older people don't have NDEs as often"

Is this established? Is there a research paper on the topic anywhere?

One very obvious point which comes to mind is that if a child of say seven years old has a cardiac arrest, for whatever reason, then there will be enormous efforts into attempting resuscitation. There might be hours of work involving great medical expertise in order to bring that child back. But for a person aged say seventy-seven years, there might be little or no effort made at resuscitation. This is a general and very sensible trend. It does mean of necessity there will be fewer NDEs in the older age-groups. If a person's body doesn't survive, they won't be able to report anything.

I'd suggest re-wording the proposition like this:
  • The longer you live, the less likely your body will survive death.
(This post was last modified: 2021-05-24, 01:44 PM by Typoz.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Smaw, Raimo, Silence

• View a Printable Version