Should members be permitted to delete large swathes of their posts from threads to which they've contributed?
No (because it destroys the continuity and integrity of the threads, and spoils them for other readers/contributors).
33.33%
Yes (because it's their content and they should be free to decide whether or not it remains publicly visible on this forum).
40.00%
Not unless they have a good reason (because we should tread a nuanced middle ground here).
26.67%
15 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Should mass deletion of one's own posts be permitted?

203 Replies, 11799 Views

I still haven't read the entire thread. Wink

I'd like to say that I'm entirely comfortable with it being stated that certain things are strongly discouraged, or whatever wording one chooses. Formal expression of expectations and norms seems very reasonable to me.
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Stan Woolley, Ninshub
(2020-05-04, 12:26 PM)Typoz Wrote: Thanks for those kind words, Tim. I'm well past the worst now. Mainly it's a matter of rebuilding my strength after being unable to eat solid food for some time. I can eat normally now. I'm sure all will be well.
I hope things are going well with you too.

Good to hear, Typoz, thanks !
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Typoz
I think it's reasonable to add a comment about deletions to the forum guidelines. Something like...

You are able to edit and delete individual posts. Please keep in mind that editing or deleting large numbers of your posts from a thread may interfere the with ability of other forum members to read or participate in those threads. In the heat of the moment, it may feel appropriate. But we ask that you only do so after careful consideration. If you delete posts but change your mind, moderators are able to restore your deleted posts for you.

Linda
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-04, 03:04 PM by fls.)
[-] The following 4 users Like fls's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, laborde, Typoz, Ninshub
(2020-05-04, 12:21 PM)Laird Wrote: Does the forum software not allow you to change your vote? I would have expected it did; apologies if that's not the case.
I don't see any option besides "View Poll Results."
A mass deletion of posts following a little tanty leaves the deletor looking a little fragile and precious, at best.

Personally speaking, I’ve never felt better disposed, or more respect, towards a poster following such a response.
[-] The following 1 user Likes malf's post:
  • Obiwan
(2020-05-04, 09:45 PM)malf Wrote: A mass deletion of posts following a little tanty leaves the deletor looking a little fragile and precious, at best.

Personally speaking, I’ve never felt better disposed, or more respect, towards a poster following such a response.

I'm guessing that not even a single poster has deleted posts in order to garner your respect or disposition.  Wink

Linda
[-] The following 1 user Likes fls's post:
  • malf
(2020-05-04, 09:52 PM)fls Wrote: I'm guessing that not even a single poster has deleted posts in order to garner your respect or disposition.  Wink

Linda

I should certainly hope not. And don’t get me wrong it doesn’t upset me, I generally find that type of behaviour amusing. Think of Larkin and his frequent public pronouncements that he was putting someone or other on ‘ignore’ at the other place. There’s a delicious pomposity to the fragility. 

But, as you say, it’s not all about me... has anyone ever witnessed a mass deletion of posts that appeared justified, worthy, clever or heroic?
[-] The following 1 user Likes malf's post:
  • Obiwan
(2020-05-05, 01:52 AM)malf Wrote: But, as you say, it’s not all about me... has anyone ever witnessed a mass deletion of posts that appeared justified, worthy, clever or heroic?
I sure haven't.  Haven't even heard of a scenario where that might be the case.
(2020-05-05, 01:52 AM)malf Wrote: I should certainly hope not. And don’t get me wrong it doesn’t upset me, I generally find that type of behaviour amusing. Think of Larkin and his frequent public pronouncements that he was putting someone or other on ‘ignore’ at the other place. There’s a delicious pomposity to the fragility. 

But, as you say, it’s not all about me... has anyone ever witnessed a mass deletion of posts that appeared justified, worthy, clever or heroic?
Justified, yes.
The other tags - worthy, clever, heroic are irrelevant. I don't apply those terms to everyday activities either. The frequency which which one does an activity is not a measure of its legitimacy.
(2020-05-05, 04:18 AM)Typoz Wrote: Justified, yes.

what we’re the circs?

• View a Printable Version