Should members be permitted to delete large swathes of their posts from threads to which they've contributed?
No (because it destroys the continuity and integrity of the threads, and spoils them for other readers/contributors).
33.33%
Yes (because it's their content and they should be free to decide whether or not it remains publicly visible on this forum).
40.00%
Not unless they have a good reason (because we should tread a nuanced middle ground here).
26.67%
15 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Should mass deletion of one's own posts be permitted?

203 Replies, 11831 Views

As this thread descends into a Monty Python sketch, I think we have to face the fact that this place is more like a dysfunctional family than a regular forum. 

Whilst the world falls apart around us, I would challenge anyone to read the last dozen pages and not find them unbearably cute.

And yes, of course I’ve had a drink...
[-] The following 7 users Like malf's post:
  • stephenw, Silence, Ninshub, tim, laborde, Laird, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2020-05-02, 07:11 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Shouldn't Max's vote be counted given he's clearly expressed his opinion?

Perhaps we should have a vote on whether or not Max's vote should be counted even if he doesn't participate in the poll?

No, as a member he has to actually vote to be counted.
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-02, 11:12 AM by tim.)
(2020-05-02, 08:41 AM)malf Wrote: As this thread descends into a Monty Python sketch, I think we have to face the fact that this place is more like a dysfunctional family than a regular forum. 

Whilst the world falls apart around us, I would challenge anyone to read the last dozen pages and not find them unbearably cute.

And yes, of course I’ve had a drink...

Which particular Python sketch did you have in mind, Malf ?
(2020-05-02, 07:21 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: I really don’t understand this. 
A choice is either your preference or it’s not. If you’re truly voting AGAINST your own preference you’re muddying the water imo.
If this were a choice involving say personally making money and others suffering as a consequence, or if you thought some or most of the people voting were not capable of seeing the whole picture or something like that then I might agree. But from what you’ve said, I think your decision would be made on how others think, but all of us here are surely equal and capable of independent thought. So in this case, I think any vote must be about how you feel, not how others feel. If we all started overthinking things, we’d never know what people truly felt/thought.

Maybe you think it’s ego vs spirit making the choice, but do you know for sure which is which? 

I am saying this NOT because you have stated how you would vote. Actually I’m quite satisfied with the poll’s results so far. I thought that Yes might be a runaway winner. Of course it’s your decision, but I hope that you read this and think about it.
Thanks for your thoughts, Stan. I'll definitely think about it and you make good points. This might actually lead me more to just not vote then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Stan Woolley
(2020-05-02, 08:41 AM)malf Wrote: As this thread descends into a Monty Python sketch
Those are always the best ones, aren't they? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • malf
(2020-05-02, 11:07 AM)tim Wrote: No, as a member he has to actually vote to be counted.

Then we should have had a discussion on how to phrase the options in the poll before it was posted.

As it stands it's just not an accurate view, especially since you have to coincidentally see this thread to even realize what is going on.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(2020-05-02, 05:14 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Then we should have had a discussion on how to phrase the options in the poll before it was posted.

As it stands it's just not an accurate view, especially since you have to coincidentally see this thread to even realize what is going on.

You mean we should have had a kind of a vote on how to set up the questions in the vote (poll) in the first place ?

Heck, Sci we'd be here till Christmas, wouldn't we ? And I'm not sure what you mean by it not being an accurate view ? Do you mean because  Max has not voted or all the rest of the members, as well ?
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-02, 05:50 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Ninshub, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2020-05-02, 05:49 PM)tim Wrote: You mean we should have had a kind of a vote on how to set up the questions in the vote (poll) in the first place ?

Heck, Sci we'd be here till Christmas, wouldn't we ? And I'm not sure what you mean by it not being an accurate view ? Do you mean because  Max has not voted or all the rest of the members, as well ?

Seems like barely anyone has voted, so it is hard to see how this poll can be considered accurate?

We also don't know how many people are akin to Max in that they dislike all the options.

The best time to debate the use of the Delete key was when the forum was created, but if people really want an amendment to the rules it should be done in a way that better engages/notifies the community as whole.

As for this idea of retroactively un-deleting people's posts, that [is] just utter nonsense and if they do that I hope they delete my account on the same day. Not a "community" I would want to be part of.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2020-05-02, 06:29 PM by Sciborg_S_Patel.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • tim, Ninshub
(2020-05-02, 06:29 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: As for this idea of retroactively un-deleting people's posts, that [is] just utter nonsense and if they do that I hope they delete my account on the same day. Not a "community" I would want to be part of.
No one's proposing this (?). I know I would be opposed to that idea in any event.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • tim, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2020-05-02, 07:44 PM)Ninshub Wrote: No one's proposing this (?). I know I would be opposed to that idea in any event.

Apologies if I am mistaken, but I've asked for clarification on this a few times within this thread?

I think this is another problem with this endeavor - it seems really unclear what exactly this ban on "mass" deletions - save for "valid" reasons - means.

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Ninshub

• View a Printable Version