Should members be permitted to delete large swathes of their posts from threads to which they've contributed?
No (because it destroys the continuity and integrity of the threads, and spoils them for other readers/contributors).
33.33%
Yes (because it's their content and they should be free to decide whether or not it remains publicly visible on this forum).
40.00%
Not unless they have a good reason (because we should tread a nuanced middle ground here).
26.67%
15 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Should mass deletion of one's own posts be permitted?

203 Replies, 11781 Views

This post has been deleted.
I just realized something. I always thought that Laird was in the UK, but Ninshub mentioned that he is in Australia, which makes it the middle of the night for him.

It is thoughtless of me to carry on with this back and forth if it means Laird loses out on sleep. And MaxB is right, so I'm going to delete my last post. I hope there will be no complaints about that. Smile

Linda
[-] The following 1 user Likes fls's post:
  • Ninshub
I'm getting the impression that Laird was up for over 40 hours.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • tim
(2020-05-01, 06:41 PM)Ninshub Wrote: I'm getting the impression that Laird was up for over 40 hours.

Surprise

I'm sorry.

I feel strongly about this issue, but that doesn't excuse the fact I should have been more considerate when it came to arguing my point(s).

Linda
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-01, 06:52 PM by fls.)
  • Ninshub
It is thoughtless of me to carry on with this back and forth if it means Laird loses out on sleep. And MaxB is right, so I'm going to delete my last post. I hope there will be no complaints about that. [Image: smile.png]

Just curious. Was leaving it up until he was ready to deal with it, not an option ?
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-01, 06:49 PM by tim.)
(2020-05-01, 06:41 PM)Ninshub Wrote: I'm getting the impression that Laird was up for over 40 hours.

If that's the case, shouldn't he take a break for his own good?
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-01, 07:29 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Ninshub
Well I'm pretty sure Laird will say he's the one who decides if and when he feels like going to bed.  Smile

I'm sure he's doing it for his own reasons, which may not have anything to do with this thread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • tim
(2020-05-01, 06:48 PM)tim Wrote: It is thoughtless of me to carry on with this back and forth if it means Laird loses out on sleep. And MaxB is right, so I'm going to delete my last post. I hope there will be no complaints about that. [Image: smile.png]

Just curious. Was leaving it up until he was ready to deal with it, not an option ?

I don't think so. It's hard to let something go once you're in the cycle of petty bickering and defense.

More than enough has been said, and deleting it makes it easy to take a break.

You weren't finished your popcorn?
(2020-05-01, 06:55 PM)Ninshub Wrote: Well I'm pretty sure Laird will say he's the one who decides if and when he feels like going to bed.  Smile

I'm sure he's doing it for his own reasons, which may not have anything to do with this thread.

Yeah. I've had little sleep myself, but it's because I can't get my damn origami double weave to work the way I hoped it would.

Linda
  • Ninshub
(2020-05-01, 12:53 PM)Laird Wrote: The problem though with (somewhat contrary to the previous item) "No Deletions" threads is the implication that [ETA: mass] deletions are permissable in every other thread: personally, I don't think that they should be (without a valid reason).

As Max put it, insisting that we cannot monitor our own posts is ultimately going down the overly parental response of Skeptiko right before many of us left.

I really dislike mass deletions, but my opinion shouldn't supersede the decision making of others with regard to their own contributions. It's just too hard to pin down what "valid" is going to mean.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Typoz, Ninshub

• View a Printable Version