Secret Mark

27 Replies, 2544 Views
Thread Closed 

(2020-07-11, 01:48 AM)berkelon Wrote: Can someone post the link to Max's blog? Thanks

https://thinkingdeeper.wordpress.com/

Note that he has yet to post anything new. I'll let him know that at least some regulars are curious about what he's thinking about nowadays and if he'd be willing to continue tracking his thinking publicly with some new posts [to his blog].
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2020-07-11, 02:41 AM by Sciborg_S_Patel.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Typoz, berkelon, Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
Most commentators so far appear to see Max’s departure as bad/sad news, I tend to agree, as he was an interesting and intelligent poster. However, the manner of his leaving is at best disappointing. To disappear suddenly and without posting any reason, deleting most of his posts and going to the trouble of changing others so as to be nonsensical to other members is churlish behaviour imo.

If a sceptic such as Steve001 or Linda was to do this I’m quite certain the comments would have been less forgiving.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
(This post was last modified: 2020-07-11, 08:09 AM by Stan Woolley.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Ninshub, tim, Typoz
(2020-07-11, 07:49 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Most commentators so far appear to see Max’s departure as bad/sad news, I tend to agree, as he was an interesting and intelligent poster. However, the manner of his leaving is at best disappointing. To disappear suddenly and without posting any reason, deleting most of his posts and going to the trouble of changing others so as to be nonsensical to other members is churlish behaviour imo.

If a sceptic such as Steve001 or Linda was to do this I’m quite certain the comments would have been less forgiving.
I'm not so sure. I think we have to give individual people the right to conduct their own affairs as they wish, without making it a matter for either condemnation or praise.

I know I've posted stuff on other forums - completely unrelated to the material we discuss here, and after moving on, there are certainly some posts and material I'd like to remove, but am unable to. Some of it has disappeared of its own accord, such as images hosted on various external hosts, which one way or another no longer exist. I don't hold any bad or unpleasant feelings about these things, but it would sometimes be nice to just be able to move on to another phase of our lives. I'm glad we were able to provide that capability for Max. I wish him well in his future direction.
[-] The following 4 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Ninshub, OmniVersalNexus, Stan Woolley, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2020-07-11, 09:02 AM)Typoz Wrote: I'm not so sure. I think we have to give individual people the right to conduct their own affairs as they wish, without making it a matter for either condemnation or praise.

I think bad behaviour is bad behaviour. If half the forum left, copying his actions, the forum would be unreadable.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 4 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Ninshub, Obiwan, Raimo, tim
(2020-07-11, 10:12 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: I think bad behaviour is bad behaviour. If half the forum left, copying his actions, the forum would be unreadable.
A few people have left. Most of them have not carried out the same actions.

If it's just an individual person, 'doing their own thing', that's one thing. But if there's a pattern emerging, maybe there is something about the running of the  forum which is the cause. Maybe there's a degree of 'cabin fever', a reaction to claustrophobic circumstances, but maybe not.
(This post was last modified: 2020-07-11, 10:52 AM by Typoz.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Stan Woolley
I'm sorry to see Max go because he was an interesting character, albeit I've never thought his ideas were even remotely plausible, but that was okay. I don't think he should have messed up the threads though. Maybe he did it in a temper, who knows.
[-] The following 4 users Like tim's post:
  • Ninshub, OmniVersalNexus, Obiwan, Stan Woolley
(2020-07-11, 07:49 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: If a sceptic such as Steve001 or Linda was to do this I’m quite certain the comments would have been less forgiving.
That may be true however speaking only for myself, I’d say Max’s views - although I sometimes didn’t understand the points he was making, and even less frequently agreed with him when I did - were sincerely held. So I don’t question his motive.

I’m not sure that’s I have the same view about the other two members. 

I’m not sure I’d even notice if Steve deleted his posts.
(This post was last modified: 2020-07-11, 01:13 PM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Stan Woolley
(2020-07-10, 11:11 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Look out for posts on his blog Thinking Deeper - he definitely wants to rethink some of what he's thought in the past but it is not that he thinks all [h]is ideas are wrong.

Rather, he's seen certain things linking together what seems to be going on in the advances of physics with structurual/mathematical similarity to what we find in biology.
If his changing thoughts motivated his deleted posts, I hope he keeps his blog intact. It'd be nice to see the evolution of ideas over time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Will's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
Not a big fan of the insinuation that if this was Steve001 or Linda the reactions would be different. I personally think more skeptics would be better to help balance things out here. They tend to notice things the believers miss, and vice versa
"The cure for bad information is more information."
[-] The following 2 users Like Mediochre's post:
  • Ninshub, Typoz
Thread Closed 

• View a Printable Version