Psychics vs. scientists re: making predictions

13 Replies, 1309 Views
Thread Closed 

(2020-04-22, 02:19 PM)Ninshub Wrote: Steve (you may have noticed I've moved this discussion because it belongs here instead), what post are you referring to where I made such a false equivalency?
Comparing the the always imprecise predictions with the precise predictions such as those in the link. For example those predictions contain quantities that can be checked. Can't you see that?
(2020-04-22, 01:52 PM)Ninshub Wrote: Brian, how did you interpret the smilie I put at the end of that sentence? Wink
Sorry, I often sleep-type Blush
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brian's post:
  • Ninshub
(2020-04-22, 02:28 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Comparing the the always imprecise predictions with the precise predictions such as those in the link. For example those predictions contain quantities that can be checked. Can't you see that?
Sorry for stretching this out - I thought you were just making too many assumptions about what I believe by me just posting that link. You said you wondered if any psychics predicted this, "probably not", and a Google search turned up the link immediately. You didn't say anything about precise or imprecise. Anyway, it was posted humorously, hence the smiley. Carry on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • tim, Steve001
On the topic of predicting the pandemic, not a psychic but a novelist - and this time it's precise! Wink

Prophetic Book Saw All of This Coming
Saleema Nawaz's 'Songs for the End of the World' just came out as an e-book

By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 15, 2020

Quote:Face masks, hoarding, social distancing—it all happened before … in Saleema Nawaz's mind. The Montreal author devoted six years of her life to a novel that looks a lot like our life with the coronavirus, the Globe & Mail reports. If this sounds exaggerated, consider that Songs for the End of the World is about a 2020 pandemic that starts in China, surges through New York, and infects thousands of people. Anti-Asian hate crimes and food deliveries are up, N95 masks and ventilators are scarce, and anyone entering a hospital has to get their temperature checked. There's even a prescient book about plagues that becomes a bestseller because of the outbreak. "It has felt very surreal and a little bit unnerving," says Nawaz of her incredible foresight.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • tim, Typoz, Stan Woolley
Thread Closed 

• View a Printable Version