Which of the following is closest to your view?
Traditional combination of random genetic mutation and natural selection
17.65%
More complex but non-paranormal process
11.76%
Process involving action by a deity
5.88%
Process involving paranormal influence of consciousness but not action by a deity
41.18%
None of the above/can't decide between them
23.53%
17 vote(s)
* You voted for this item.

Poll: Views about evolution

14 Replies, 1743 Views

(2018-01-19, 09:09 AM)Chris Wrote: I was using paranormal as shorthand for "not explainable by currently accepted physical laws". 

I realise "deity" is open to interpretation. I was really thinking of the kind of personal, omnipotent Supreme Being of the main monotheistic religions. But I also used "closest to" in the question to allow some "wiggle room" in what people want to regard as a deity.

It wasn't a criticism, Chris - just an indication why I was having trouble with the choices. I thought about each in turn and found myself left with questions. I need not have worried though because there's always Steve around to state the bleeding obvious. Who needs philosophy when you can use a dictionary?
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
(2018-01-19, 11:11 AM)Kamarling Wrote: It wasn't a criticism, Chris - just an indication why I was having trouble with the choices. I thought about each in turn and found myself left with questions.

Yes - just thought I would clarify what had been in my mind.
(2018-01-19, 09:09 AM)Chris Wrote: I was using paranormal as shorthand for "not explainable by currently accepted physical laws". 

I realise "deity" is open to interpretation. I was really thinking of the kind of personal, omnipotent Supreme Being of the main monotheistic religions. But I also used "closest to" in the question to allow some "wiggle room" in what people want to regard as a deity.

You should have defined the terms so certain members could avoid confusion.

You should have defined the terms so certain members could avoid confusion.
Hey, Steve001 has dropped in from an alternative universe to support Steve001.  Or is Steve001 Steve001's sockpuppet?

• View a Printable Version