Happy Psience Quest anniversary!

12 Replies, 2965 Views

Almost exactly a year ago (to the minute!), Ian posted a public welcome message, after which members other than founders began to join Psience Quest - 27 members within the following 24 hours, to be precise.

In the twelve months since then, we've grown to 142 members who have contributed over 19,000 posts in over 1,200 threads, including four official interviews - three by Vortex (happy birthday!) and one by Roberta - as well as one two-part unofficial interview, also conducted by Vortex.

A Google search for "parapsychology forum" currently puts us on the first page of results - somewhere around the third to fifth result.

Our quest continues - here's wishing everybody well on our forum's first anniversary!
(This post was last modified: 2018-08-13, 03:49 PM by Laird.)
[-] The following 17 users Like Laird's post:
  • Vortex, malf, Silence, woethekitty, diverdown, stephenw, Brian, Stan Woolley, Obiwan, MCat, tim, Hurmanetar, Max_B, Valmar, Ninshub, Typoz, Doug
And thanks to everyone that's posted and "liked" and made it happen. Here's to more PQ years!
[-] The following 11 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Vortex, malf, diverdown, Brian, Oleo, Obiwan, tim, Typoz, Valmar, Doug, Laird
Very nice!

(Curious, though - I received a "domain name expired" message when I typed in the address directly; I could only get here through Google.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Will's post:
  • malf, Valmar, Ninshub
(2018-08-14, 04:53 AM)Will Wrote: Very nice!

(Curious, though - I received a "domain name expired" message when I typed in the address directly; I could only get here through Google.)
Will, did you type in .net? (because that's the only one that's been re-registered).
[-] The following 3 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • malf, Will, Valmar
I'm hoping that moving forward the forum can increasingly include member run experiments and implementations of existing techniques. We are far, far past the point of questioning whether certain abilities exist or not, let's turn them into something practical and world changing. Naysayers need not apply.
"The cure for bad information is more information."
(This post was last modified: 2018-08-14, 02:58 PM by Mediochre.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mediochre's post:
  • malf
(2018-08-14, 02:56 PM)Mediochre Wrote: Naysayers need not apply.

Thankfully, that is certainly not the official policy of Psience Quest.

From the Forum Rules:
"This forum is open to both proponents and those who are traditionally called "skeptics". Said skeptics are allowed to participate on all the forums and sub-forums. However, when an individual does not accept the anomalous nature of any of the various phenomena in the Extended Consciousness Phenomena (ECP) forum, and when the intent is strictly to "debunk", that type of post should be reserved for the Skeptic vs Proponent Discussions sub-forum (or at least kept out of the ECP forum), so that proponents can have space to have discussions that extend beyond the "is it real or not real?" variety without unwanted and derailing interventions."
https://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-f...re-posting
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • malf
(2018-08-14, 06:14 PM)Chris Wrote: Thankfully, that is certainly not the official policy of Psience Quest.

From the Forum Rules:
"This forum is open to both proponents and those who are traditionally called "skeptics". Said skeptics are allowed to participate on all the forums and sub-forums. However, when an individual does not accept the anomalous nature of any of the various phenomena in the Extended Consciousness Phenomena (ECP) forum, and when the intent is strictly to "debunk", that type of post should be reserved for the Skeptic vs Proponent Discussions sub-forum (or at least kept out of the ECP forum), so that proponents can have space to have discussions that extend beyond the "is it real or not real?" variety without unwanted and derailing interventions."
https://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-f...re-posting
I wasn't saying for the forum I was saying for the whole implementation thing. There's no point in someone joining such an effort just to tell the others that what they're doing is impossible and they should stop trying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mediochre's post:
  • Ninshub
(2018-08-14, 09:06 PM)Mediochre Wrote: I wasn't saying for the forum I was saying for the whole implementation thing. There's no point in someone joining such an effort just to tell the others that what they're doing is impossible and they should stop trying.

Thanks for clarifying. That seems reasonable, and I think it's consistent with the extract of the rules that I quoted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Mediochre
(2018-08-14, 10:43 PM)Chris Wrote: Thanks for clarifying. That seems reasonable, and I think it's consistent with the extract of the rules that I quoted.

I think skeptics are really, really important to have in the forum proper. I actually wish we had more to balance things out a bit. It helps keep things from becoming an echo chamber and helps all sides catch potential mistakes or generally help each other out with finding information and such.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mediochre's post:
  • berkelon, Typoz, Oleo
(2018-08-15, 08:46 PM)Mediochre Wrote: I think skeptics are really, really important to have in the forum proper. I actually wish we had more to balance things out a bit. It helps keep things from becoming an echo chamber and helps all sides catch potential mistakes or generally help each other out with finding information and such.
While you are right, it may take a particular type of person. Some are absorbed in their own 'echo chamber' as you term it. What is needed is the ability to float freely between different areas of thought, without being caught among the tangled webs along the way.
[-] The following 4 users Like Typoz's post:
  • fls, Brian, Ninshub, malf

• View a Printable Version