Dr Eben Alexander's new book

170 Replies, 21396 Views

(2018-04-28, 01:29 AM)malf Wrote: I genuinely didn’t know about her career change/reinvention when I posted that video.

Malf, you don't accept the word of anyone. Is there any reason why I should accept yours ?
(2018-04-27, 07:18 PM)tim Wrote: Not many will have seen this 2013 Alexander interview with a Dutch journalist who like all Dutch, are able to speak very good English (credit due) Worth a look for those interested.  At 14.40 he deals with some relevant points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YfuYYJv-Vk&t=40s

Hi Tim,

That is wonderful that you found this interview.
I was aware of it at the time, but could not watch it as I had other things to do.

BTW - this Dutch journalist as you call her, is in fact not a journalist, but a theologican who has become popular in our country, the Netherlands, due to her programs which focus on all sorts of spiritual matters. Her name is Jacobine Geel (geel is Dutch for Yellow).

I think EA comes across as very natural and sincere.

Thanks for saying that "all Dutch" speak their English very well... But it is more correct to say that many Dutch, and in particular the well educated, have a good grasp of English.

Another thing: It seems to me that some of the participants in this thread keep falling over EA's statement about his travelling together with a beautiful girl on the wings of an apparently giant butterfly.
I wonder what's the problem? Can't they imagine that "the other realm" differs very much from our earthly world?

As for appearances, over the past two decades my reading through the many many hundreds of NDE reports has revealed that appearences on the other side can assume many forms, such as beings of light (white or blueish) or orbs (i.e. glowing spheres) and so on. Then it is not all surprising that EA experienced giant butterflies...

Cheers to all
Smithy
[-] The following 3 users Like Smithy's post:
  • tim, Typoz, Ninshub
(2018-04-27, 05:38 PM)Typoz Wrote: I'm not sure it is.

Sometimes I've read through numerous written accounts of NDEs, looking for one that could be called "typical". But the the more I study, the more it seems that each one is unique, and there is no such thing as a typical example.

You could not be more right, Typoz.
There is indeed no such thing as a typical example of NDE. They are all different.

All we can say is that some features, such as the tunnel and light, keep popping up (but are not typical of all NDEs).

Besides, the more important features of some NDEs are those with verified veridical observations. These can hardly be denied, despite all (sometimes vicious) attempts by skeptics to explain them away.

Smithy
[-] The following 4 users Like Smithy's post:
  • Ninshub, Typoz, Laird, Doug
(2018-04-28, 03:55 PM)Smithy Wrote: Another thing: It seems to me that some of the participants in this thread keep falling over EA's statement about his travelling together with a beautiful girl on the wings of an apparently giant butterfly.
I wonder what's the problem? Can't they imagine that "the other realm" differs very much from our earthly world?

As for appearances, over the past two decades my reading through the many many hundreds of NDE reports has revealed that appearences on the other side can assume many forms, such as beings of light (white or blueish) or orbs (i.e. glowing spheres) and so on. Then it is not all surprising that EA experienced giant butterflies...

Indeed so, regarding appearances.

I was just today reading an account of an STE (Spiritually Transformative Experience) rather than an NDE where this was said regarding the form or appearance:
Quote:She had shown me all the beings / heroes/ and archetypes that she was in my dreams over the years to help allay my fears and guide me in a positive direction.

Quote:Angee was 15 feet tall, beautiful and stunning to my eyes. Her eye color was gold and they emitted light like the sunrise. There was not a negative tone to her speech or to any feelings she expressed or any negativity to anything I felt. Her speech was far more eloquent than I could ever attempt to imitate. She also emitted a soft, light-glowing hue from behind her. I was given the impression she could appear as anything to convince me of her status to convey messages from our Creator.
(my bold).

http://www.nderf.org/Experiences/1brian_h_ste.html
[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • tim, Ninshub, Doug
(2018-04-28, 03:55 PM)Smithy Wrote: Hi Tim,

That is wonderful that you found this interview.
I was aware of it at the time, but could not watch it as I had other things to do.

BTW - this Dutch journalist as you call her, is in fact not a journalist, but a theologican who has become popular in our country, the Netherlands, due to her programs which focus on all sorts of spiritual matters. Her name is Jacobine Geel (geel is Dutch for Yellow).

I think EA comes across as very natural and sincere.

Thanks for saying that "all Dutch" speak their English very well...

Another thing: It seems to me that some of the participants in this thread keep falling over EA's statement about his travelling together with a beautiful girl on the wings of an apparently giant butterfly. But it is more correct to say that many Dutch, and in particular the well educated, have a good grasp of English.

Cheers to all
Smithy

"this Dutch journalist as you call her, is in fact not a journalist, but a theologican who has become popular in our country, the Netherlands, due to her programs which focus on all sorts of spiritual matters. Her name is Jacobine Geel"

Thanks for the information, Smithy.

"But it is more correct to say that many Dutch, and in particular the well educated, have a good grasp of English."

Okay, I'll remember that. I'm English of course and we tend not to have much of a grasp of foreign languages per se.
(2018-04-29, 01:12 PM)tim Wrote: "But it is more correct to say that many Dutch, and in particular the well educated, have a good grasp of English."

Okay, I'll remember that. I'm English of course and we tend not to have much of a grasp of foreign languages per se.

Too true, to our shame. I lived in South Africa for 15 years so I can understand a lot of Dutch words (I knew geel, for example) but I never troubled myself to actually learn or speak Afrikaans (a Dutch derivative) because, well, I'm English and everyone else speaks English. I keep telling myself that in the next incarnation I'll learn languages ... and to play an instrument ... and play football (soccer) ... and ...
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 3 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Valmar, Typoz, tim
(2018-04-29, 08:03 PM)Kamarling Wrote: Too true, to our shame. I lived in South Africa for 15 years so I can understand a lot of Dutch words (I knew geel, for example) but I never troubled myself to actually learn or speak Afrikaans (a Dutch derivative) because, well, I'm English and everyone else speaks English. I keep telling myself that in the next incarnation I'll learn languages ... and to play an instrument ... and play football (soccer) ... and ...

Not quite on your topic, but I hope to deal with some of the things I haven't been able to deal with, that are mainly fear based. I've faced some (fears) but others have stubbornly remained, I'm afraid. Maybe everyone feels like that but it is a source of slight angst for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Valmar, Typoz
Hey, fair enough about Alexander. You all have made good points about his character and his experience. After the hit piece, you can see why the public is skewed against him. Expose it for what it is and you realize just how badly the skeptics are exaggerating things. Their points just boil down to odd and irrelevant criticisms
(This post was last modified: 2018-04-30, 02:15 AM by Desperado.)
[-] The following 5 users Like Desperado's post:
  • tim, Valmar, Ninshub, Typoz, Doug
I discovered this 2013 interview with Alexander by accident. At around 8.20, he gives an interesting answer to the question, "Do you remember previous lives ?"  

I know without any doubt whatsoever that I have been here (on earth) before, but I don't remember a "specific" past life. What Alexander says, however, resonates with me personally but of course I'm not asking anyone else to accept it. Everyone must up make up their own mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1gRZcbVrsU
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-27, 04:01 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 3 users Like tim's post:
  • Desperado, Typoz, Doug
Alexander's illness has been independently analysed, apparently.

http://ebenalexander.com/independent-med...tes-facts/

More on his controversial 'malpractice' which for me (in my opinion) seems to clear it up? We'll see, I guess.

http://ebenalexander.com/resources/faq/#toggle-id-6
(This post was last modified: 2018-10-26, 04:08 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Laird, Doug

• View a Printable Version