Darwin Unhinged: The Bugs in Evolution

1535 Replies, 151534 Views

(2017-11-20, 10:08 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: Then evolution is not a design process. If you find an evolved thing that you think is designed, you are simply projecting human design onto it.

~~ Paul

Natural design in living things predates human design by 3 billion years.  I don't see how it is not the other way around, where human design is understood in terms of biological logic!

Paul, you are an intelligent guy; can you see why this ancient idea that human mentality is "so special" is bunk in the modern day?  The design skills of humans evolved just like any other bio-function.  Darwin believed this.

It's those crazy neoDarwinian's chopping mice tails who made this b.s.-up?  Mind is an active player - right from the start of bio-evolution.
[-] The following 2 users Like stephenw's post:
  • nbtruthman, Kamarling
(2017-11-21, 01:29 PM)stephenw Wrote: Natural design in living things predates human design by 3 billion years.  I don't see how it is not the other way around, where human design is understood in terms of biological logic!
You said "Design has a definition in terms of enforcing purpose and intent, ..." So now you are claiming that nature has purpose and intent, without any evidence except to compare it to human design. You are making a just-so claim.

Quote:Paul, you are an intelligent guy; can you see why this ancient idea that human mentality is "so special" is bunk in the modern day?  The design skills of humans evolved just like any other bio-function.  Darwin believed this.
I agree that the design skills of humans evolved. What does that have to do with whether there is design in nature?

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
(This post was last modified: 2017-11-21, 03:36 PM by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos.)
(2017-11-21, 01:29 PM)stephenw Wrote: Natural design in living things predates human design by 3 billion years.  I don't see how it is not the other way around, where human design is understood in terms of biological logic!

Paul, you are an intelligent guy; can you see why this ancient idea that human mentality is "so special" is bunk in the modern day?  The design skills of humans evolved just like any other bio-function.  Darwin believed this.

It's those crazy neoDarwinian's chopping mice tails who made this b.s.-up?  Mind is an active player - right from the start of bio-evolution.

Looking over neo-darwinism I see nothing wrong. What is the your bone of contention?

As I recall Wiseman removed mice tails to demonstrate mutilation is not a inherited trait. If it were, all Jewish men would be born circumcised.
(This post was last modified: 2017-11-21, 04:01 PM by Steve001.)
(2017-11-21, 03:36 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: You said "Design has a definition in terms of enforcing purpose and intent, ..." So now you are claiming that nature has purpose and intent, without any evidence except to compare it to human design. You are making a just-so claim.

I agree that the design skills of humans evolved. What does that have to do with whether there is design in nature?

~~ Paul

What we might regard as evidence for design, Dawkins (and you) would call the "appearance of design". However, the whole argument is that such elegant and complex systems don't come about by accident. You seem to ignore that and cling to RM/NS as the only possible way to account for that appearance of design. My contention is that you do so, not because that is the only possible explanation but the only explanation which satisfies your atheist/materialist ideology.

It further seems to me that the whole point of so-called skeptics hanging around on a forum like this is to defend that ideology to the last. The posts by Steve001 are an extreme (and often clumsy) example of that but the rest seem just as closed-minded. Your presence and input is fine by me but I wish you could be honest about your motives.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kamarling's post:
  • The King in the North
(2017-11-21, 07:59 PM)Kamarling Wrote: What we might regard as evidence for design, Dawkins (and you) would call the "appearance of design". However, the whole argument is that such elegant and complex systems don't come about by accident. You seem to ignore that and cling to RM/NS as the only possible way to account for that appearance of design. My contention is that you do so, not because that is the only possible explanation but the only explanation which satisfies your atheist/materialist ideology.

It further seems to me that the whole point of so-called skeptics hanging around on a forum like this is to defend that ideology to the last. The posts by Steve001 are an extreme (and often clumsy) example of that but the rest seem just as closed-minded. Your presence and input is fine by me but I wish you could be honest about your motives.

Can you prove design comes about by non natural means? No, you can't and neither can anyone else that subcribes to that position. Your position on this particular matter offers nothing other than the possible hope of transcendence. A hope that through out human history has never been realized. 
Not speaking to you specifically, please don't point fingers about defending an ideology to the last. Folks are just as entrenched, clingy (specifically you this time) on your side.
What is the point of such forums where everyone thinks the same other than to congratulate each other for discovering the real truth. Without diametric opposition this forum would be a near copy of skeptiko.
(2017-11-21, 01:29 PM)stephenw Wrote: Natural design in living things predates human design by 3 billion years.  

Hmmm... "natural design" ay? Is that like "designed" by the pressure to thrive in an environment?

I don't think there's much between us.
[-] The following 2 users Like malf's post:
  • stephenw, Arouet
(2017-11-21, 07:59 PM)Kamarling Wrote: What we might regard as evidence for design, Dawkins (and you) would call the "appearance of design". However, the whole argument is that such elegant and complex systems don't come about by accident. You seem to ignore that and cling to RM/NS as the only possible way to account for that appearance of design. My contention is that you do so, not because that is the only possible explanation but the only explanation which satisfies your atheist/materialist ideology.

Stephenw said "Natural design in living things predates human design by 3 billion years." So he is claiming that there is design in nature. However, the only thing we can compare to this supposed natural design is human design. There is no objective measure of "designedness." The idea of specified complexity is faulty.

Stephenw also said "Design has a definition in terms of enforcing purpose and intent, ..." To then claim that there is design in nature is to claim that nature has purpose and intent. Again, we have no objective evidence of this.

I am certainly willing to consider design in nature as an explanation for evolution, but why should I take it seriously without at least some evidence? To say "humans can design and some things in nature look vaguely like such designs" is not evidence. Neither is "design is the only way to obtain complex mechanisms," when all you can really say is "design is the only way for humans to obtain complex mechanisms."

I find it interesting that no one is willing to pursue specified complexity as a potential source of evidence. Why is that?

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
(This post was last modified: 2017-11-22, 07:32 PM by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos.)
(2017-11-22, 07:30 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: Stephenw said "Natural design in living things predates human design by 3 billion years." So he is claiming that there is design in nature. However, the only thing we can compare to this supposed natural design is human design. There is no objective measure of "designedness." The idea of specified complexity is faulty.

Stephenw also said "Design has a definition in terms of enforcing purpose and intent, ..." To then claim that there is design in nature is to claim that nature has purpose and intent. Again, we have no objective evidence of this.

I am certainly willing to consider design in nature as an explanation for evolution, but why should I take it seriously without at least some evidence? To say "humans can design and some things in nature look vaguely like such designs" is not evidence. Neither is "design is the only way to obtain complex mechanisms," when all you can really say is "design is the only way for humans to obtain complex mechanisms."

I find it interesting that no one is willing to pursue specified complexity as a potential source of evidence. Why is that?

~~ Paul

Paul, be honest. You had a long running debate on the same subject with Lone Shaman. Every time you asserted "no evidence" he (or Michael Larkin or David Bailey, etc.) came back with some and you reverted to your assertion. I don't think it will achieve anything to go down that dead-end street again - we may as well all re-read those threads on the Skeptiko forum. 

Stephenw might respond but let's remember that LS left the forum because he tired of playing tennis against a wall.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 2 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • nbtruthman, tim
it is difficult to judge LS input as his posts are all gone. I think Paul is far more forgiving than a wall though:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/c-...hread.939/
Over the last couple days, I've read this entire thread and greatly enjoyed it.

I'm curious about something though that no one's touched on to my recollection.  I'm pretty much intuitively convinced that if organisms were truly only evolving by RM + NS, that the random mutations would so often - almost always - be detrimental that the survival of any living thing would be close to impossible.  Has no IDer made and developed such an argument?
(This post was last modified: 2017-11-23, 04:12 AM by Reece.)

• View a Printable Version