Both forums need an introduction

74 Replies, 10993 Views

Max, I feel you're being a bit reticent. How about saying what you really think?
[-] The following 4 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Ninshub, Doug, tim, Brian
(2018-06-02, 10:59 AM)Typoz Wrote: Max, I feel you're being a bit reticent. How about saying what you really think?

DON'T! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like Brian's post:
  • Doug, Typoz
(2018-06-02, 10:17 AM)Max_B Wrote: Why am I even commenting on your post, and humoring your ideas... you're an imbecile, and you're senile...

(So I'm going to be very impolite now) ...why don't you just fuck off back to where you came from with your ideas?

Maybe senile people have some extra incite derived from the fact that they are approaching the great mystery!

David
This post has been deleted.
(2018-06-01, 09:29 PM)DaveB Wrote: OK - here is the first portion of what I have in mind (minus references and suitable markup). Maybe Chris and Max_B will explode,
so it is probably worth trying to resolve that before moving firther.

Welcome to psiencequest!

There are an enormous number of psi websites on the internet, as I am sure you are aware. PsiScienceQuest is rather different. As the name implies, we are exploring the interface between science and psi phenomena...David

David, just a style issue: I don't think you should employ exclamation marks. These can make utterances seem to be prejudged statements of belief. Try it. Take out the exclamation marks and see whether it makes your writing seem more, or less, persuasive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael Larkin's post:
  • Doug
I agree with MaxB that if anyone accidentally stumbles across this forum, it will be because a search brought up posts/threads here. If they find those posts interesting and look further, I think all the forum sub-headings make it pretty clear what kinds of topics are discussed, and from which perspective. An introduction privileges a specific opinion, and I don't think you want it to follow DaveB's lead.

Some organization of resources could be useful. There seems to be resource threads for each sub-forum under extended consciousness. Maybe a non-chat thread consisting of the "best of" or "read first" material on each subject won't lead to pages and pages of stuff that someone would have to wade through. Of course, that might require some agreement on what is "best of".  Confused

Linda
[-] The following 4 users Like fls's post:
  • Ninshub, Typoz, Doug, Brian
(2018-06-02, 01:40 PM)fls Wrote: If they find those posts interesting and look further, I think all the forum sub-headings make it pretty clear what kinds of topics are discussed, and from which perspective.
Yes, and there are explanations underneath all those headings, quite visible.

A Tapatalk plug: if you try the forum on it, all of this is even more visually evident!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Doug
(2018-06-02, 01:12 PM)Michael Larkin Wrote: David, just a style issue: I don't think you should employ exclamation marks. These can make utterances seem to be prejudged statements of belief. Try it. Take out the exclamation marks and see whether it makes your writing seem more, or less, persuasive.

Well I don't know, I am quite fond of them - particularly when welcoming someone - but there again Max_B has diagnosed me as senile!

David
(2018-05-31, 10:09 PM)Laird Wrote: Hopefully David takes that on board in his draft. If not, we can discuss how to edit it either here or on the "Talk" page for the wiki article he creates.

I hope you do put a front page on the forum, because I think it will help you, but I have decided not to contribute further to that effort.

David
(2018-06-02, 10:17 AM)Max_B Wrote: Why am I even commenting on your post, and humoring your ideas... you're an imbecile, and you're senile...

(So I'm going to be very impolite now) ...why don't you just fuck off back to where you came from with your ideas?

Ad hominem and bad language directed at a member of PS. How wonderful and edifying.

Why is this kind of thing allowed, when careful language users musn't express thoughts contrary to the sensibilities of a few snowflakes unless they do so in a remote corner of the site?

Hypocrisy on stilts.

• View a Printable Version