Are we the few who care about alternative viewpoints?

19 Replies, 1969 Views

Perhaps we could all do more to circulate links to the site - for example in bloggers' "rolls" and so on. In the past I've posted some links to relevant PsienceQuest threads on the SPR Facebook page, but as I've now deleted my Facebook account I won't be able to do that in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Ninshub
(2018-06-24, 07:31 AM)Max_B Wrote: Psiencequest isn’t ranked high enough on Google for popular search terms. That is due to a whole host of problems. Basically we can’t be found unless one already knows exactly how to find us.

It depends what the aim of the forum is, too wouldn't you agree. I think it's been a success and will probably continue to be, so the membership should grow. One of the obvious problems is that a lot of the topics have already been covered many times, 'squeezed' is a decent analogy. But there is always a bit more juice left in there.
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Ninshub, Doug
(2018-06-24, 09:08 AM)Laird Wrote: What would you say those problems are, Max? We've done a few things to try to improve our ranking but so far have had little success.

One should wonder why lurkers prefer silence rather than participation? For example this thread.  Understanding how to invite participation would boost ranking.
This post has been deleted.
(2018-06-24, 12:19 PM)Steve001 Wrote: One should wonder why lurkers prefer silence rather than participation? For example this thread.  Understanding how to invite participation would boost ranking.

OK, I'll bite. Why do lurkers prefer silence to participation, and how can we invite participation?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Doug
(2018-06-24, 12:31 PM)Max_B Wrote: eh? Skeptic
Pick any thread and look at the number of views it receives compared to the actual participation,  there's a wide gap usually.
(2018-06-24, 12:33 PM)Laird Wrote: OK, I'll bite. Why do lurkers prefer silence to participation, and how can we invite participation?

I don't know.
(This post was last modified: 2018-06-24, 09:51 PM by Steve001.)
(2018-06-24, 11:19 AM)Chris Wrote: Perhaps we could all do more to circulate links to the site - for example in bloggers' "rolls" and so on. In the past I've posted some links to relevant PsienceQuest threads on the SPR Facebook page, but as I've now deleted my Facebook account I won't be able to do that in the future.

Yeah that's probably one of the the best ways. Unfortunately I don't spend any time posting on blogs, websites, youtube, other forums, etc.

If anybody does, I would suggest plugging this forum when you do.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • darkcheese, Doug
Thanks for the great discussion.

What prompted me to make this thread was a combination of a couple of items. 

One, this forum seems to mesh most closely with what I would want in a site that discusses scientific ideas that are on the edge of what is mainstream, in a relatively balanced manner. That is, discussions are definitely more focused on investigating phenomena with a bias towards discussing them, as opposed to tearing them apart. But yet, there remains room for those who would like to take the alternate stance. 

Two, I read the forum, but don't have much time to post on it. Part of me is just a little greedy, and wants more discussion. The site is great, and if it keeps going as is, that's definitely okay. However, medium-small size sites like these (in my past experience) seem vulnerable to fizzling out. One or two of the main posters disappear, and then it disintegrates. 

Definitely want to keep this place going, so I'll try and do my part.
[-] The following 5 users Like darkcheese's post:
  • diverdown, malf, Ninshub, Typoz, Doug

• View a Printable Version