Search Results
    Thread: Thoughts on survival

What does survival mean? The core observer "I" is the nucleus of existence. What am I in this life though? I would call that what the I observer is able to currently access in this now point (a growin...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2021-02-19, 05:49 PM
 1,722     23
    Thread: Darwin Unhinged: The Bugs in Evolution

Hey all, been on hiatus for a while. As such, have had quite a bit of personal and all kinds of development. Regarding this topic, here are my current thoughts on the subject. Let's start with t...
 152,140     1,483
    Thread: Do you believe in God?

Back from a long hiatus, might have a good post inc. soon. God is a loaded term, To the average, say, American where I live, it would invoke the judeo-christian god and all concomittant beliefs / b...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2021-02-16, 09:11 PM
 3,916     40
    Thread: Too crazy to be useful

It's always a good read Mediochre. If you must stop posting for whatever reason, that is your call. I see it as useful, and maybe you could inform someone else, perhaps a lurker. Either way, here's ho...
Posted by darkcheese in Other Topics , 2018-12-17, 05:37 AM
 1,041     7
    Thread: The Good Place

So first of all, I agree with malf on the usage of the term God. At least here in the USA, using that term will conjure images of the typical judeochristian god in most people’s minds so it’s easier t...
Posted by darkcheese in Philosophical Discussions , 2018-09-26, 03:17 PM
 28,420     313
    Thread: An Ode to Skepticism: Elder Gods of the Gaps

Brian Wrote: (2018-09-21, 11:32 AM) -- That seems to describe many internet skeptics and their equally stubborn opposition very adequately indeed! -- That’s pretty much it, Brian.   Here’s a me...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2018-09-22, 05:57 PM
 5,061     39
    Thread: Youtube ~ The Lost City of Atlantis - Hidden in Plain Sight
Post: RE: Youtube ~ The Lost City of Atlantis - Hidden i...

Atlantis as something does seem viable.. Not sure if it would be the Edgar Cayce version (with high technology and all that), but there is evidence for the end of a mini ice age around 9700 BC. See th...
Posted by darkcheese in Other Topics , 2018-09-12, 05:02 AM
 2,371     15
    Thread: When the self slips: Individuals living with depersonalisation disorder bring vivid
Post: RE: When the self slips: Individuals living with ...

Hi diverdown, Alright, here goes. A little backstory, because it sounds like I may have encountered some aspects similar to your experience. When I was around 10 or so, I started to become less ...
Posted by darkcheese in General Consciousness Science , 2018-06-25, 03:23 AM
 943     6
    Thread: Are we the few who care about alternative viewpoints?
Post: RE: Are we the few who care about alternative view...

Thanks for the great discussion. What prompted me to make this thread was a combination of a couple of items.  One, this forum seems to mesh most closely with what I would want in a site that di...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2018-06-25, 02:54 AM
 1,973     12
    Thread: Are we the few who care about alternative viewpoints?
Post: Are we the few who care about alternative viewpoin...

I would think that there are many people out there who share similar views to those on this site, but where are they? Is this really close to 'it', as far as those English-speaking people who are i...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2018-06-24, 03:50 AM
 1,973     12
    Thread: When the self slips: Individuals living with depersonalisation disorder bring vivid
Post: RE: When the self slips: Individuals living with ...

Its been a good read hearing about your experiences in this thread. I had a similar occurrence, following a severe vitamin deficiency during my undergrad years. It seemed my peak 'consciousness' was a...
Posted by darkcheese in General Consciousness Science , 2018-06-23, 10:52 PM
 943     6
    Thread: The Diet That Might Cure Depression?

Alright, so I have yet another diet. I probably have a better understanding of biochemistry than a lay person (around 10 years in bio related fields), but I am not a physician. My personal avoid as m...
Posted by darkcheese in General Consciousness Science , 2018-04-25, 04:18 AM
 2,262     12
    Thread: The Skeptiko forum and us

Love it here. Wish I had more time to contribute but real life is pretty intense as is. Feel like there's a real opportunity for growth of alternative ideas. It seems threads will arise that catch on...
Posted by darkcheese in Forum Questions, Suggestions and Announcements , 2018-04-21, 12:44 AM
 5,989     29
    Thread: Keith Augustine interview

Kamarling Wrote: (2018-04-02, 05:00 AM) -- I assume the goal of the internet skeptic (although, I venture to suggest that Max has different motives) is to find and exploit a perceived weakness in ord...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2018-04-02, 05:33 AM
 25,620     154
    Thread: Keith Augustine interview

Max_B Wrote: (2018-04-02, 12:45 AM) -- Yeah, but we don’t know when Pam was put into burst suppression. And in the absence of any hard data (concrete facts?) there is good reason to suspect burst sup...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2018-04-02, 02:40 AM
 25,620     154
    Thread: Correlation vs Causation

Back on target, to the orignal quote Quote: -- Thus for instance, ‘correlation is not causation’ is countered by the observation that the effects of other organs – the kidney’s role in filteri...
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2018-02-05, 02:23 AM
 14,295     124
    Thread: Correlation vs Causation

And, don’t believe this has been posted yet. http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations (http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations)
Posted by darkcheese in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2018-02-03, 10:25 PM
 14,295     124

Steve001 Wrote: (2018-01-24, 12:52 PM) -- Consider this as much as you give thought to the questions above that there is no intelligent agent involved. Is that too abhorrent? -- The answer to that ...
 152,140     1,483
    Thread: Interesting comments by Bruce Greyson

Read a book recently, that discussed how reincarnation may be nonlinear. One way that this could be interpreted: when someone dies, they essentially become information that can be used in a future car...
Posted by darkcheese in Reincarnation , 2018-01-24, 04:14 AM
 4,288     31

E. Flowers Wrote: (2018-01-24, 03:04 AM) -- I can see that this is a thing that is close to your heart, and not being particular interested in this futile back-and-forth, I will just let you be conte...
 152,140     1,483