Psience Quest

Full Version: Is the Filter Theory committing the ad hoc fallacy and is it unfalsifiable?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2023-06-04, 03:03 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Also why is the soul dependent on this theory of memory...this is what just confuses me.
I don't think it is the soul that does my speech-writing. It is the brain.  But regardless of whether the soul or the brain is writing the speech, yes, I think it does it in a way something like I described.

If you disagree, how do you think it is done?

After all, most of your speech writing is done unconsciously. That is, the sentence you wrote above probably just basically came to you out of nowhere. There was a huge amount of processing involved in writing that. You must have a mental dictionary of thousands of words you could have used, have rules of grammar memorized, and have had some sort of idea of what you wanted to say. Somehow, that was all put together, and out came the sentence. How do you think that happened?

Yes, part of that process might have been conscious. An idea for a sentence might immediately come to mind, but you might then have had second thoughts about one of the words. And then what happens? Alternative words just pop into consciousness out of nowhere. Who or what looked them up in your mental thesaurus? 

I contend that thousands of independent thought streams were working outside your conscious awareness. You are aware only of that which bubbled up to the top.

To illustrate the process, I asked ChatGPT, "When generating content, how does chatgpt look at available options and make its selection?". Among other things it said,

Quote:Probability distribution: ChatGPT assigns a probability score to each potential option based on its training. It calculates the probability of each word or phrase occurring next given the input and context. The higher the probability, the more likely the model will select that option.

Sampling strategy: Depending on the configuration, ChatGPT can use different sampling strategies to select the next word or phrase. One common approach is temperature-based sampling, where a higher temperature value (e.g., 0.8) makes the output more random and diverse, while a lower temperature value (e.g., 0.2) makes it more focused and deterministic.

Beam search (optional): In some cases, ChatGPT employs beam search, which explores multiple potential sequences of words in parallel. Beam search expands the most likely options at each step and keeps track of the highest-scoring sequences. This technique can help improve the coherence and quality of the generated content.
Source: https://chat.openai.com/share/05c09673-6...8a114372b5
The last paragraph looks amazingly close to what I think happens subconsciously when we speak.
(2023-06-04, 04:15 PM)Merle Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think it is the soul that does my speech-writing. It is the brain.  But regardless of whether the soul or the brain is writing the speech, yes, I think it does it does it in a way something like I described.

Again, if this is an argument for the mind being so dependent on the brain that there is no afterlife I can at least understand what you are saying. I can even understand if this is an argument against having any kind of soul at all.

What confuses me is that the idea that there is a soul but it must be dependent on the brain for cognitive function and once that brain is gone it is like some kind of lobotomized wraith. If one thinks there is a soul it seems to me the next reasonable step is to examine Survival cases for what the existence of that soul is like - and it is clear souls retain memories.
(2023-06-04, 04:24 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Again, if this is an argument for the mind being so dependent on the brain that there is no afterlife I can at least understand what you are saying. I can even understand if this is an argument against having any kind of soul at all.

What confuses me is that the idea that there is a soul but it must be dependent on the brain for cognitive function and once that brain is gone it is like some kind of lobotomized wraith. If one thinks there is a soul it seems to me the next reasonable step is to examine Survival cases for what the existence of that soul is like - and it is clear souls retain memories.
I do not believe there is a soul, no. If there is some non-physical part of me, I think it has little more with what it is to be me than a molecule of water in my brain is me.

But I don't know. There could be some non-physical entity that is a significant part of what it is to be me.

The evidence I point to in the link we are discussing indicates to me that, if such a soul exists, and it survives my death, it would hardly be identifiable as me after death.

Regarding retaining memories, if souls retain memories, why does a person with severe brain injury lose much of his memory?
(2023-06-04, 05:05 PM)Merle Wrote: [ -> ]I do not believe there is a soul, no. If there is some non-physical part of me, I think it has little more with what it is to be me than a molecule of water in my brain is me.

But I don't know. There could be some non-physical entity that is a significant part of what it is to be me.

The evidence I point to in the link we are discussing indicates to me that, if such a soul exists, and it survives my death, it would hardly be identifiable as me after death.

Regarding retaining memories, if souls retain memories, why does a person with severe brain injury lose much of his memory?

You seem to be saying there could be a "soul" as in a non-physical entity but all the cases suggestive of Survival (reincarnation, NDEs) that suggest said soul retains memories are wrong...this to me just seems like a strange argument.

At least saying there is no soul, and everything is material, makes sense as a train of thought even if I disagree with it.
Quote:Merle said (post 112):
(my responses bolded )

I disagree. I have given you links where I describe how I think mind and subjective awareness arise from neurons.
Now you get to the hard problem of consciousness. Why does it all feel so real? Why am I not just a complex sunflower with complicated mechanical movements without it all feeling so real? I do not know the answer to that.

-I couldn't find the description you refer to above in the link you furnished named "consciousness".

-The conclusion from the link "explaining" consciousness:  "Perhaps our minds continuously create the story we call consciousness and write it in such a way that we think consciousness is making the decisions."

-Another quote from the linked essay: "If your soul is the speechwriter, why isn’t the soul aware of how the words came into your consciousness? Why isn’t your soul aware of looking up the meanings of all the words it could have used? Instead, behind the scenes, something must be working to look up available words and form those sentences for you. I contend this something is nothing more than the millions of neurons in your brain. They must be working behind the scenes to write your speech for you. You and I think that our conscious mind is speaking, but the conscious mind isn’t even aware of how the speech is being written."

-Notice again in the above the frequently used strategem of cleverly sneaking in words like "you" and "I think" assuming the unspoken necessary presence of the real human consciousness, as in "...They must be working behind the scenes to write YOUR speech for YOU. YOU and I THINK...."

-As mentioned, the concluding statement again reveals the same futile attempt to smuggle in mysterious consciousness as an unspoken background assumption without making the slightest attempt to explain it materialistically. For instance, you say "we think..." automatically assuming there is in fact a "we" or "I" conscious entity behind the thought. 

-So this concluding statement is incoherent since it contradicts itself.

-Even if (contrary to a lot of empirical evidence) the physical brain does make decisions prior to the conscious "I" thinking it made the decision, that still leaves the overriding presence of the unexplained conscious "I" having subjective inner experiences that you seem to be claiming is some sort of illusion. I might ask, who or what is experiencing this illusion?

-As mentioned above there is the use of misinterpreted and partially discredited experiments like the Libet study that supposedly showed that there is no free will, that the brain has always formulated, calculated, the decision before the conscious mind thinks it has freely made the decision. Actually, the Libet work turned out to actually demonstrate a form of free will:  "free won't"), and anyway, Libet himself was not a convinced reductionist materialist as far as philosophy of mind.

-The whole attempt is to explain consciousness as the workings of brain neurons and to deny the existence of any sort of spiritual entity or "soul", but it doesn't succeed in anything but self contradiction.

Do you have an answer to the hard problem of consciousness? What is your answer? Once I hear your answer, I suspect I will have some follow-up questions.
How do you know the agent that generates thoughts needs to be conscious?

-Thoughts are the essence of consciousness - we know thoughts only come from consciousness by direct observation of our own experience; remember Descartes' foundation of philosophy: "I think therefore I am".

Are ants conscious? Are jelly fish conscious? Are sunflowers conscious? Where do you draw the line?
You are assuming the point in question. I don't know that the thinker is immaterial. 

-Are ants conscious, or jellyfish? So we don't really know - so what? Our ignorance of the demarcation point (or if there is one) is irrelevant to the issue.

-You can conclude that the thinker must be immaterial from the observation that thoughts, emotions, perceptions, and so on with all the other attributes or properties of consciousness are demonstrably immaterial since they have no weight, physical dimensions, etc.  You are claiming a sort of miracle - the creation of immaterial attributes of consciousness by material neurons. No machine made of of electronics or of neurons can generate thoughts, emotions, perceptions, because all the machine can do is shuffle around electrons or physical gears and levers, which physical actions have no inner subjective experience or agency. 

-Until you can explain that miracle, we have to conclude that this magic feat is impossible, and therefore consciousness is not material.   

There are some things I cannot explain. Why is it not acceptable to say, "I don't know"?

-Sure, that's acceptable, but it's not acceptable to say "I don't know" and at the same time contradict yourself and insist that they (immaterial mental properties like subjective awareness) despite seeming impossibility are routinely generated by physical neurons. Like a faithful advocate of the faith, you insist that you still absolutely know the answer.

I exist. I think. I am conscious. I am at home. I am typing on my computer. I sometimes trip and fall. I have a wart.
In each of those sentences the word "I" has the same meaning to me. It means the sum total of the material and possible non-material components that make up me.

-The triumph of the cold intellect over the contradicting direct inner experience of perceptions of an "I", a "self" entity with many inner states, agentness, emotions, thoughts and so on. As I mentioned before, you are basically denying the fundamental self-observation formulated by Descartes as the foundation of philosophy - "I think therefore I am".

Does the word "I" mean the same thing to you in each of those sentences? Or does it sometimes mean my soul, sometimes mean my body, and sometimes mean a combination of both?
- Even the points you address I don't think directly pertain to the question of the soul being dependent on the brain.

I feel like a lot of confusion is arising from two arguments going on at once:

1. There is no soul & no afterlife. This argument has been discussed quite a number of times going back to the Mind-Energy forums through Skeptiko to here.

2. Even if there is a soul it has no cognitive function because all cognitive function is dependent on the brain. This is the argument that I think is somewhat novel due to its strangeness. If there is a soul it seems to me that among the first conclusions would be that the idea of the brain as "filter" would in some sense be correct.
Quotes below are from

Quote:-Notice again in the above the frequently used strategem of cleverly sneaking in words like "you" and "I think" assuming the unspoken necessary presence of the real human consciousness, as in "...They must be working behind the scenes to write YOUR speech for YOU. YOU and I THINK...."
I explained to you what I mean when I use the word "I". I mean, "the sum total of the material and possible non-material components that make up me." So when I say "I think" I mean "The sum total of the material and possible non-material components that make up me thinks."

If you think that is confusing, and would like me to use a different word for this instead of the word I, please let me know what word would be clearer for you to understand.

I think you also use the word "I" in the sense I use it. If you say "I went to the store" or "I fell" or "I have a stomach ache" you are saying that your body, that is, the sum total of the matter that makes up you, is the object of those sentences. I don't think you are saying your soul went to the store or your soul fell or your soul has a stomach ache. Your body did those things. But you use the pronoun "I" to refer to your body.

So the difference between the way you and I use the word "I" is that for me it always means all of me, including my body. For you it appears "I" sometimes means your soul and sometimes means your body. I find my terminology clearer.

Quote:-As mentioned above there is the use of misinterpreted and partially discredited experiments like the Libet study that supposedly showed that there is no free will, that the brain has always formulated, calculated, the decision before the conscious mind thinks it has freely made the decision. Actually, the Libet work turned out to actually demonstrate a form of free will:  "free won't"), and anyway, Libet himself was not a convinced reductionist materialist as far as philosophy of mind.
Actually the Libet experiment has been verified in many ways. See Have Experiment Shown?  and Notable Experiments.

Quote:-Are ants conscious, or jellyfish? So we don't really know - so what? Our ignorance of the demarcation point (or if there is one) is irrelevant to the issue.
it is very relevant. I contend that there are levels of thinking in living forms, that goes anywhere from sunflowers, to jellyfish, to ants, to toads, to monkeys, to humans. Can you accept that at least some of those living things don't have souls? If you accept that a certain level of thinking can be done without a soul, why is it that you say an animal must have a soul if the thinking goes beyond this point?

If you cannot clearly define at which point material thought is not enough, and that animal must have a soul at that point, how can it be clear that anything needs a soul?

Quote:You are claiming a sort of miracle - the creation of immaterial attributes of consciousness by material neurons. No machine made of of electronics or of neurons can generate thoughts, emotions, perceptions, because all the machine can do is shuffle around electrons or physical gears and levers, which physical actions have no inner subjective experience or agency.

-Until you can explain that miracle, we have to conclude that this magic feat is impossible, and therefore consciousness is not material. 
In nature we regularly see distinctly different things when other things are combined. One water molecule is not wet, but many together make up water. A few proteins in goo don't do anything, but if you arrange them into a living cell, something totally different emerges. So no, it is not necessarily magic that water makes molecules or that proteins make cells, or that neurons make complex thought including consciousness.

In the meantime, surely you must agree that a soul has to be a miracle, yes? How else can you explain the existence of souls?
(2023-06-04, 09:00 PM)Merle Wrote: [ -> ]Actually the Libet experiment has been verified in many ways. See Have Experiment Shown?  and Notable Experiments.

A Famous Argument Against Free Will Has Been Debunked

How a Flawed Experiment “Proved” That Free Will Doesn’t Exist

Even in your second link ->

"Daniel Dennett also argues that no clear conclusion about volition can be derived from Benjamin Libet's experiments supposedly demonstrating the non-existence of conscious volition."

Quote:In nature we regularly see distinctly different things when other things are combined. One water molecule is not wet, but many together make up water.

Wetness is a sensation in consciousness, so I don't really see how this analogy works as it's begging the question.

In general I don't think there are distinctly different things when other things are combined. At the very least the potential for what is observed in the combination should be in the pieces that make up such composite structures. As previously noted atheists Sam Harris, Raymond Tallis, and Alex Rosenberg note the "physical" is defined as not having any mental characteristic whatsoever so one should not expect the material to produce the mental. Harris & Tallis see this as a flaw, with Tallis explicitly rejecting Materialism, whereas Rosenberg takes the odd stance of saying all thoughts are illusory and Cogito Ergo Sum is then false.

In fact this is one reason for thinking that the brain is a Filter/Transmitter/Valve for consciousness/soul though the three aforementioned atheists reject that their views point to a soul of any kind. However it does seem to me that if one started with the premise that there is a soul, it would only be a natural conclusion that said soul is not dependent on the brain for cognitive functioning.
(2023-06-03, 03:36 PM)Merle Wrote: [ -> ]Sciborg_S_Patel,

You write this in response to my questions about what you think holds our memories. You tell us the brain does not do this. OK, then what remembers? The soul? And was my grandmother's soul aware that I was there? If my grandmother's soul knew I was there, and her soul was not damaged by the stroke, why did my grandmother lose the ability to remember that I visited her?

If the brain mediates the interaction of consciousness/soul with our terrestrial existence, it's entirely possible damage to it affects access or even formation of memories. In regards to the latter, however, as noted it seems that some research suggests the issue is not memory formation but memory access [sadly the article makes the common mistake that brains can store memories, something that Tallis in my quotes below notes is not possible]->

Quote:People who permanently suffer from amnesia can’t add new declarative or episodic memories. The parts of their brains involved in storing this type of information, primarily a region called the hippocampus, have been damaged. Although amnesiacs can retain new information temporarily, they generally forget it a few minutes later.

If our dreams come from declarative memories, people with amnesia shouldn’t dream at all, or at least dream differently than others do. But new research directed by Robert Stickgold of Harvard Medical School suggests quite the opposite.

Just like people with normal memory, amnesiacs replay recent experiences when they fall asleep, Stickgold’s study shows. The only difference seems to be that the amnesiacs don’t recognize what they’re dreaming about.

Though I am not sure why stroke would show something that regular forgetting doesn't. I just watched the last John Wick movie but don't recall every detail.

=-=-=

Moving on, to be clear the insurmountable flaws with materialist accounts of consciousness mentioned below are not proof that there are souls. However they do strongly suggest to me that *if* there are souls said souls are not lobotomized wraiths.

Quote:I don't see anywhere that this link supports the assertion that brains cannot hold memories. Even the simplest animals can have memories. Do they all have souls? 

Tallis explicitly notes the issue and he doesn't believe in souls. To quote some small bits of the larger argument that requires reading the whole piece ->

"Well, I don’t believe that the difference between Kandel’s ‘memory in a dish’ and my actual memory is just a matter of the size of the nervous system or the number or complexity of the neurons in it. Clarifying this difference will enable us to see what is truly mysterious in memory..."

"...Making present something that is past as something past, that is to say, absent, hardly looks like a job that a piece of matter could perform, even a complex electrochemical process in a piece of matter such as a brain. But we need to specify more clearly why not. Material objects are what they are, not what they have been, any more than they are what they will be. Thus a changed synaptic connexion is bits present state; it is not also the causes of its present state. Nor is the connection ‘about’ that which caused its changed state or its increased propensity to fire in response to cues. Even less is it about those causes located at a temporal distance from its present state. A paper published in Science last year by Itzhak Fried claiming to solve the problem of memory actually underlines this point. The author found that the same neurons were active in the same way when an individual remembered a scene (actually from The Simpsons) as when they watched it.

So how did people ever imagine that a ‘cerebral deposit’ (to use Henri Bergson’s sardonic phrase) could be about that which caused its altered state? Isn’t it because they smuggled consciousness into their idea of the relationship between the altered synapse and that which caused the alteration, so that they could then imagine that the one could be ‘about’ the other? Once you allow that, then the present state of anything can be a sign of the past events that brought about its present state, and the past can be present. For example, a broken cup can signify to me (a conscious being when I last checked) the unfortunate event that resulted in its unhappy state.

Of course, smuggling in consciousness like this is inadmissible, because the synapses are supposed to supply the consciousness that reaches back in time to the causes of the synapses’ present states. And there is another, more profound reason why the cerebral deposit does not deliver what some neurophysiologists want it to, which goes right to the heart of the nature of the material world and the physicist’s account of its reality – something that this article has been circling round. I am referring to the mystery of tensed time; the mystery of an explicit past, future and present..."

Quote:Even sunflowers can "decide" to point their flower toward the sun. Do sunflowers also have souls?
Where do these souls come from?

I don't see why it is a problem for sunflowers to have souls, but as Tallis notes in the example of the sea slug these rote responses don't require any aboutness or subjectivity that are the hallmarks of human memories.

Quote:Why cannot physical brains hold memories?

For the same reason that Alex Rosenberg notes in the Atheist's Guide to Reality - as quoted in my previous posts in this thread (for example here) - that neurons cannot be about Paris, because physical things have no intrinsic aboutness. See also the Tallis quotes above how this problem is compounded when physical brains have to extend this aboutness to past events.

Quote:Let's say I see the color red for the first time. A distinct brain pattern forms in some of my neurons. Suppose somebody tells me that color I saw is named red. A different distinct pattern forms for the sequence of sounds that make the word "red". Why cannot those patterns simply be etched into my neurons, much like a computer stores memories?

Computers don't store conscious memories any more than an abacus does. Without a human observer these are just meaningless arrangements of matter. As Tallis notes above this is just smuggling in the consciousness that needs to be explained.

Quote:Then later, when I see something red, many thought patterns may be stimulated in my brain, but those patterns that are strongly associated with the red color I am seeing will predominate. If you ask me what color I see, those brain patterns associated with the sound pattern for the word red will predominate, and win out over any other brain patterns. My brain will direct my mouth to say, "red"? We refer to this as "memory".  I see no reason to believe molecules cannot do that.

But how are the patterns about redness unless, as Tallis notes above, one has already smuggled in the consciousness that is supposed to be explained by the material brain?

Quote:It seems to me that there is no other way to remember anything, other than for some change to occur in the state of something. If, for instance, you now remember my name, surely the state of something somewhere must be different compared to the state it was in when you did not recognize my name. What changed state? If matter does the remembering, that question is easy to answer: the matter in your brain changed state. Your brain now has brain patterns associated with "Merle" that are associated with brain patterns that are associated with the things you now know about me.

But if a change in matter is what resulted in memory then there would need be a perfect isomorphism between the material and the conscious memory. As Braude noted in the previously linked Memory Without a Trace, this is an impossible object because any bit of matter can represent a variety of possible things ->

Quote:...Trace theorists have always been tempted to regard traces as kinds of recordings of the things that produced them. In fact, some previous influential writings on memory compared traces to tape recordings or grooves and bumps in a phonograph record. The justification for that idea, as we’ve seen, is that traces must somehow capture essential structural features of the things that both produce and activate them. That’s one of the keys to how trace theory is supposed to work. Allegedly, what links together and unifies traces both with their causes and their activators is a common underlying structure.

So the issue we must now address is: What sort of thing is this structure? I’ll argue that the required structure is an impossible object...

One could seek to cross this divide by saying the material is storing Information, but as has noted this opens many questions that leave the materialist-reductionist position open to attack. In fact as the biologist Johnjoe McFadden notes it can even be a tentative argument for Post Morterm Survival ->

Quote:My hypothesis is that conciousness is the experience of information, from the inside. There is a postulate in physics that information is neither created or detroyed – the conservation of information ‘law’. It is however just a postulate, nobody has ever proved it. But, if true, it would suggest that awareness (associated with that information) – in some form – might survive death.

Of course if information is neither created nor destroyed, it again becomes difficult for me to see why a soul could not have access to this information. So, again, I don't understand why *if* one accepts souls one must also accept that said souls must be lobotomized wraiths.
(2023-06-04, 11:06 AM)Merle Wrote: [ -> ]Its hard to really determine what is going on in the billions of neurons in the brain. I got the concept form Dennett's Consciousness Explained.

People like Denett provide 'explanations of consciousness' that are decidedly vague. The fact that I can dismiss his theory so easily should make you think - is he the great guru that you think he is?

Quote:Would you please postulate a more sane theory of memory that we can consider?

That is like being asked to explain QM in one post!

As I tried to explain above, I took a long time to move from a strictly materialist approach to where I stand now on these issues. You probably have to stand on your head and accept the possibility that consciousness is fundamental and that matter is somehow derived from consciousness.

One thing is certain, defining the concept of 'soul' (or non-material being) the way you do will get you nowhere.

Hint: Start by reading Dean Radin's book:

https://www.amazon.com/Entangled-Minds-E...1416516778

David