Psience Quest

Full Version: If Physics Is an Information Science, What Is an Observer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If Physics Is an Information Science, What Is an Observer?

Chris Fields

Quote:Interpretations of quantum theory have traditionally assumed a “Galilean” observer, a bare “point of view” implemented physically by a quantum system. This paper investigates the consequences of replacing such an informationally-impoverished observer with an observer that satisfies the requirements of classical automata theory, i.e., an observer that encodes sufficient prior information to identify the system being observed and recognize its acceptable states. It shows that with reasonable assumptions about the physical dynamics of information channels, the observations recorded by such an observer will display the typical characteristics predicted by quantum theory, without requiring any specific assumptions about the observer’s physical implementation.
(2019-02-03, 05:32 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]If Physics Is an Information Science, What Is an Observer?

Chris Fields
I can't let this sit.

An observer receives information contained in a signal that is channeled from its external environment (senses).  That reception can be measured as mutual information shared by the source of the detected signal and the receiver.  

Observers can also receive signals from its own biological systems (perception and pain).  A conscious observer can observe its own observation process (self-awareness).

There could be more.  What do y'all think?
(2019-02-11, 06:39 PM)stephenw Wrote: [ -> ]I can't let this sit.

An observer receives information contained in a signal that is channeled from its external environment (senses).  That reception can be measured as mutual information with each the sources of the detected signals.  

Observers can also receive signals from its own biological systems (perception and pain).  A conscious observer can observe its own observation process (self-awareness).

There could be more.  What do y'all think?

But what IS it though?
(2019-02-12, 06:34 PM)Hurmanetar Wrote: [ -> ]But what IS it though?
Is your question asking what is information or what is observation?

My question is -- how do we, as living things, experience an understanding that translates to more ordered behavior (from unconscious instinct to aha moments).  "Understanding" - as knowledge and skill connected to real-world possibilities -  is measurable when it is specific to an application.

It seems like fact-> memory -> fact--> (magic) >> understanding!

That kinda magic is quite unsatisfactory to me. 

Observation is just like any message in information science.  Starting at a source, the info has an established channel for its signal - and is encoded at the receiver.  Whether information is decoded when channeled from the receiver, starts the subject of the role of agents.