What should forum policy be on defamatory posts?

361 Replies, 42723 Views

(2017-10-02, 03:45 PM)jkmac Wrote: Chuck:

It is you who is being "ignorant" if you don't realize words have nuanced meaning depending on where you are from. I am from America and we use the the term "fanny" as a childish term from one's "bottom". I have a very good friend from Ireland who informed me that it would be quite rude to use that work in mixed company there because it means something quite different to them. Sorry of I offended anyone here by using it.

The point is: to claim that someone is a dope for associating a slightly different meaning to a word, and telling them to look up the definition, might actually be highlighting a point of ignorance on your part, and not theirs.

"I have a very good friend from Ireland who informed me that it would be quite rude to use that word in mixed company there because it means something quite different to them."

Yes I can well imagine......

An American friend of mine once told me (in a letter)  that she slipped on (to) her fanny on some ice.  I did think at the time that it was a bit too much information.  Rolleyes
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-02, 06:37 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Laird, Obiwan
(2017-10-02, 06:35 PM)tim Wrote: "I have a very good friend from Ireland who informed me that it would be quite rude to use that word in mixed company there because it means something quite different to them."

Yes I can well imagine......

An American friend of mine once told me (in a letter)  that she slipped on (to) her fanny on some ice.  I did think at the time that it was a bit too much information.  Rolleyes

Absolutely.  Surprise
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-02, 08:02 PM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • jkmac, tim
This post has been deleted.
(2017-10-02, 08:00 PM)Obiwan Wrote: Absolutely.  Surprise

She was NOT talking about what you were thinking...  LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes jkmac's post:
  • Obiwan
(2017-10-02, 09:09 PM)jkmac Wrote: She was NOT talking about what you were thinking...  LOL

She’d have to be pretty flexible.  LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Steve001, jkmac
I haven't been following this thread so  I don't know if this is a valid request ... but if there has been some general conclusion can the "forum rules and guidelines" post be updated?

Otherwise what should I do if I there is a defamatory post that I think is  inappropriate? (I'd like to be able to handle it myself by quoting from the "forum rules and guidelines".)
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-07, 01:52 PM by Jim_Smith.)
(2017-10-07, 01:48 PM)Jim_Smith Wrote: I haven't been following this thread so  I don't know if this is a valid request ... but if there has been some general conclusion can the "forum rules and guidelines" post be updated?

Otherwise what should I do if I there is a defamatory post that I think is  inappropriate? (I'd like to be able to handle it myself by quoting from the "forum rules and guidelines".)
The forum rules were updated following this discussion, Jim. Feel free to quote from them.
Vortex defended pedophilia on Skeptiko forum. I reported his messages, and they got deleted.

Now he admitted to me this in a private message: "I am a child liberationist who defends consensual sex between adults and children."

I think it's obvious that he should be banned from this forum.
This post has been deleted.
(2017-11-09, 01:17 PM)Raimo Wrote: Vortex defended pedophilia on Skeptiko forum. I reported his messages, and they got deleted.

Now he admitted to me this in a private message: "I am a child liberationist who defends consensual sex between adults and children."

I think it's obvious that he should be banned from this forum.

Raimo, thanks, but 1) we are not the thought police and 2) this doesn't enter into the category of defamation. And nobody is openly promoting such views on this forum. Further, I don't think publicly sharing private messages is appropriate, unless permission was given.
[-] The following 5 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Oleo, Laird, Doug, Pssst, Silence

• View a Printable Version