Should we permit interviews on non-core subjects, esp AIDS/HIV?

191 Replies, 21599 Views

This post has been deleted.
(2017-09-28, 03:17 AM)Max_B Wrote: I'm reading that you are proposing to ban this interview because it discusses HIV/AIDS
This is my last post answering you on this topic, Max, because you are either a) an incredibly bad reader, or b) deliberately trolling me. I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt and suppose you're reacting because you've been emotionally triggered.

No, I'm proposing this interview not be included because it's not paranormal.

(2017-09-28, 03:17 AM)Max_B Wrote: you've labeled that a divisive subject...

No, I've labeled Bauer's theory about AIDS-HIV a potentially divisive subject. If Chris is fine with it, I'm OK with it too. But that still wouldn't make it a PQ interview, because it's not a paranormal topic.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Roberta, Obiwan
This post has been deleted.
(2017-09-27, 08:30 AM)Chris Wrote: On this subject, I see Vortex says on Skeptiko that he is hoping to interview Henry Bauer on HIV/AIDS for PsienceQuest.

Please could someone clarify whether this subject would be considered part of this site's remit?

The interview would be on his general position concerning science, not on his HIV-AIDS positions. They may be mentioned by him as an example, of course, but they definitely will not be central concern.

It is for the Psience Quest community to decide whether Bauer is an acceptable guest. If not, I will just tell him he is not welcome by us, and the interview is cancelled. But I hope he will be welcome, since his ideas concerning scientific process is worth listening.

And the scientific status of paranormal research will be one of the topics I will discuss with him.

So, think and decide, people. I will not interview someone you don't want here. Yet, as I said, questions that I would ask Bauer if you agree with my invitation initiative will be relevant for our forum.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 04:38 AM by Vortex.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vortex's post:
  • Silence
Hi Long time lurker here - I don't normally post on Internet forums but I was compelled to make an exception here!

Max_B I think you may have misread some of the previous posts (especially Chris). I think you believe some people object to Bauer because they are homophobic and uncomfortable with HIV/AIDS discussion. It is in fact the opposite - Bauer has been accused in the past of having homophobic views and because HIV/AIDS denialism (which is what Bauer is promoting) has the effect of people being denied effective medical treatment. It is Bauers bigoted views that Chris and some others object to.

Just wanted to point that out to you Max_B as I hate to see you guys falling out over a misunderstanding.

By the way, loving your work on this forum. Thanks to all involved in setting it up and to the members for the insightful contributions. It has helped get me through some difficult times.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 05:08 AM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 6 users Like Sleepless's post:
  • laborde, Roberta, Obiwan, Laird, Doug, Ninshub
Bah! Sorry I mucked up on the formatting of my previous post - Told you I don't normally post on Internet forums!  I obviously have no clue how to work them!!  Big Grin
(2017-09-28, 04:47 AM)Sleepless Wrote: Bah! Sorry I mucked up on the formatting of my previous post - Told you I don't normally post on Internet forums!  I obviously have no clue how to work them!!  Big Grin

Fixed it for you! And welcome to the forum. Sorry it had to be on this note!
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 05:09 AM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Sleepless
Let the dude on. Fer Chissakes, is it going to explode the Interwebs.?
(2017-09-28, 05:09 AM)Ninshub Wrote: Fixed it for you! And welcome to the forum. Sorry it had to be on this note!

Thank you for fixing this and for the welcome  Thumbs Up
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sleepless's post:
  • Ninshub
(2017-09-28, 12:55 AM)Max_B Wrote: Lord, I'd never be that precious, this is a internet discussion forum covering a fringe topic, that tends to be very anti-science, with 100 members. I think the community should be grateful for any interviews that members spend their own time organising and writing up. What I'm hearing is homophobia by a handful of members... that's the unstated or hidden reason why this matter has been brought up as far as I can see. If Vortex's interview was about homeopathy etc... I doubt I'd have heard a peep.

Just to be clear - the reason I would not want to be associated with a site that provided a platform for HIV/AIDS denialism is the number of lives it has cost, particularly in South Africa. As far as I know, most AIDS victims in Africa have been heterosexual.

Not that I would view it as acceptable if people posted homophobic - or racism, or antisemitic - statements here either. Presumably Bauer wouldn't do that now, as he has retracted his past homophobic statements.
[-] The following 3 users Like Guest's post:
  • Ninshub, Obiwan, Roberta

• View a Printable Version