Lions fatally maul poachers who broke into reserve to hunt rhinos

3 Replies, 1006 Views

Good for the lions.

Poachers EATEN by pride of lions after breaking into reserve to slaughter rhinos for horns

Quote:At least three hunters were believed to have been devoured by the predators with one head being recovered at the scene along with a number of bloodied body parts and limbs.

Staff discovered the bloody remnants at the Sibuya Game Reserve near Kenton-on-Sea in Eastern Province, South Africa, and called in a helicopter to search the area for more poachers.

When none were found and the area was declared safe a vet tranquillised the six lions in the pride so that police and staff could go inside and recover the remains of the mauled poachers.

Owner Nick Fox, 60, said: “We found enough body parts and three pairs of empty shoes which suggest to us that the lions ate at least three of them but it is thick bush and there could be more.
(This post was last modified: 2018-07-10, 02:34 AM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • tim, Doug
(2018-07-10, 02:32 AM)Ninshub Wrote: Good for the lions.

I did hear it said somewhere that now the lions have the taste for human blood, they may have to be killed (sorry, I don't have a reference). I hope that doesn't happen.
[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Brian, Ninshub, tim
Does anybody else think the poachers might have been shot first and then left for the lions. I didn't think human's were that big a number on a lion's menu unless they were a bit desperate. I do know as Typoz says, that once they get a taste for humans they continue the pattern.

https://www.nature.com/news/2009/091102/....1045.html
(This post was last modified: 2018-07-10, 11:56 AM by tim.)
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Brian, Typoz
Is it a taste for human blood or simply a realisation that we're acceptably tasty and easy to catch?  It would be a tragedy, though, if the lions were now killed but we don't live there with the attendant risks and it's easy to condemn others for doing what we might do ourselves in their situation.
[-] The following 3 users Like leadville's post:
  • Valmar, Brian, Typoz

• View a Printable Version