I couldn't find an answer to this on the internet: what is the 000 key?

11 Replies, 1492 Views

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the 000 key for?

[Image: 176354.jpg]

Thanks
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
Thousands?
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-27, 08:19 AM by Obiwan.)
Maybe sends code three times  http://www.hidmacros.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529
I think Obiwan is right - it makes it easier to type 1000, 2000 etc
https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/10453...ic-keypad/
I think it's for when you make a mistake, and go, "Uh-oh - Oh!"
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Obiwan, malf
What type of data entry work would have lots of numbers like 1000 or 2,000,000?  The numeric key pad is for data entry, if the numbers are naturally occurring, 000 should not deserve a special key any more than any other three digit number.

I've never taken a course in accounting or worked in that field. When I was in school I used exponential notation.  Now-a-days, I have to enter a lot of numbers when I manage my personal finances and I'm left handed which is why I bought a keypad. I don't understand what type of work would require entering a lot of numbers like 5000 or 7,000,000,000? 

Thanks
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-27, 09:54 AM by Jim_Smith.)
(2018-05-27, 09:36 AM)Jim_Smith Wrote: What type of data entry work would have lots of numbers like 1000 or 2,000,000?  The numeric key pad is for data entry, if the numbers are naturally occurring, 000 should not deserve a special key any more than any other three digit number.

I've never taken a course in accounting or worked in that field. When I was in school I used exponential notation.  Now-a-days, I have to enter a lot of numbers when I manage my personal finances and I'm left handed which is why I bought a keypad. I don't understand what type of work would require entering a lot of numbers like 5000 or 7,000,000,000? 

Thanks

George Soros’s accountant?

Does it really matter?
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
Looking up "accounting calculator" on Google Images gives plenty of examples of number pads with "00" on them. I guess the maker of this number pad just decided to go with "000".
(2018-05-27, 12:49 PM)ersby Wrote: Looking up "accounting calculator" on Google Images gives plenty of examples of number pads with "00" on them. I guess the maker of this number pad just decided to go with "000".

I understand 00 is useful for entering whole dollar amounts. But it wasn't just the numeric keypad in the photo with 000. The one I bought had 000 and there are a lot of others with 000. Maybe the 00 keys are for accountants and 000 is for another purpose or type of user? Could it have something to do with computers or software that is not relevant to a stand alone calculator?

Maybe a third 0 after a . is harmless so the 000 key can be used for both 1000's and .00?
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-27, 01:58 PM by Jim_Smith.)
"The 000 key has a similar function to the 00 key. It just outputs an extra zero.  Different software systems will handle multiple zeroes differently, some will automatically add a decimal, so in that case it could be easier to use the 000 and have the system assume and automatically insert the decimal than to type a decimal and a double zero. "

• View a Printable Version