Huffington Post article about a visit to a medium

4 Replies, 1439 Views

Courtesy of the Daily Grail - here's an article by Jo Varnish about a visit to a medium who seemed aware of personal information in a way the author was unable to explain:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/medium-ps...3cddaf99c0
[-] The following 5 users Like Guest's post:
  • Ninshub, Obiwan, Laird, Raimo, laborde
Interesting, though this aspect gives me pause:

"Ever since I lost my mother, I have imagined visiting a medium for reassurance that she was still with me in some way, that she was proud of me. "

"My greatest hope for the session was that I would hear enough to know my parents are watching over me."

This could be considered creepy, perhaps voyeuristic, the idea of being watched - like a CCTV camera which follows us everywhere. To me, there has to be another angle, a different take on this concept. Rather than the idea of being spied on, I'd go more with the idea of actually feeling something, whether a sense of presence, or on some level, even if non-verbal, some form of communication, of contact. Otherwise the phenomenon would seem to me to be pointless and of no value.
(This post was last modified: 2019-10-07, 09:55 AM by Typoz.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
I thought it was an interesting post, thanks Chris. Taken at face value, like a lot of such reports, it seems evidential.
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Oleo
I guess my perspective (as on most of these topics) is that I favour direct personal experience. Especially in areas like this, there is a danger, without direct experience, of falling into the old patterns of intermediaries, authority figures, a priesthood, control ... I don't have any objections to the original report at the start of this thread, it was more of a sideways thought triggered as a response.

As well as fears of a controlling priesthood, there is also a day-to-day relevance. Just as people may be pious and confess their sins on a Sunday, then go away to sin the other six days, the similar question remains, what do we do on the days when we are not visiting a medium?

Sorry, this is very much off-topic, I'm just letting thoughts tumble around. It isn't intended as a direct response to the OP.

Perhaps though where I'm leading to is the idea of classes or groups, just as we can learn various skills or crafts, or we can practice yoga or keep-fit, perhaps there could be classes on direct personal experience of this area. I don't mean with the aim of becoming a fully-fledged medium, much more of a low-level thing, with the aim of learning to trust our own responses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2019-10-07, 09:55 AM)Typoz Wrote: Interesting, though this aspect gives me pause:

"Ever since I lost my mother, I have imagined visiting a medium for reassurance that she was still with me in some way, that she was proud of me. "

"My greatest hope for the session was that I would hear enough to know my parents are watching over me."

This could be considered creepy, perhaps voyeuristic, the idea of being watched - like a CCTV camera which follows us everywhere. To me, there has to be another angle, a different take on this concept. Rather than the idea of being spied on, I'd go more with the idea of actually feeling something, whether a sense of presence, or on some level, even if non-verbal, some form of communication, of contact. Otherwise the phenomenon would seem to me to be pointless and of no value.

I’m fairly sure that this is what being “haunted” would be. It seems like a waste of time for both sides... I mean, the majority of our actions are tedious and hardly indispensable for progress.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
[-] The following 1 user Likes E. Flowers's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel

• View a Printable Version