Feynman

4 Replies, 801 Views

I was just reading (again) about Richard Feynman. I’m not usually one who idolises people, but if Carlsberg were to idolise anyone, it would probably be him.  Wink

This might give us an idea of Feynman, the man.

http://www.feynman.com/stories/roger-m-b...n-feynman/

I also love this...but not the background music!

He was a proper scientist. I am probably in defensive mode as I am so fed up of being called ‘anti-science’ by dogmatic fools. (Not on this site)  LOL
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
(This post was last modified: 2019-04-21, 08:42 AM by Stan Woolley.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Doug, Ninshub, Sciborg_S_Patel, Typoz
Heineken?

[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Doug, tim, Stan Woolley
(2019-04-21, 09:02 AM)Typoz Wrote: Heineken?

I know, I corrected myself quite quickly, but not quickly enough! I’d no idea they made gems like this though. Thumbs Up
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
(This post was last modified: 2019-04-21, 09:45 AM by Stan Woolley.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • tim, Typoz
I like Feynman a lot, certainly I feel more in common than with some others. Just nitpicking, in the above clip, he says he's ok with uncertainty and doubt, but still manages to declare something is "the way it really is". But that's just me playing with words, I don't really mean it seriously. He has a good attitude - as well as being brilliant.
[-] The following 5 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Doug, Obiwan, Ninshub, tim, Stan Woolley
Here's another bit, maybe a little unknown, to add to the Feynman hero worship. Smile

Last fall I spent five months just reading books on the JFK assassination. The best was David Lifton's Best Evidence: Disguise and Deception in the Assassination of John F. Kennedy. Apart from the investigative dimension of the book, what's makes it a very good read is Lifton's chronicle of how the topic starting obsessing him in late '64 after attending a lecture on it purely for entertainment value, dropping his graduate studies in physics and spending the next two decades devoting himself to researching the topic. I forget the details and don't want to reread it, but in '65 he was writing an article on it, studying the frames of the Zapruder film and basing himself on the other evidence gathered so far, had come to the conclusion that Kennedy had been hit by a shot from the front (there had at least been one in that direction), and wanted to seek a well-known physicist's advice.

A friend of his knew Feynman and so in '66 Lifton sought him out and showed him the materials (aerial photograph of Dealey Plaza, the Zapruder film frame prints), and Feynman did simple calculations with a ruler and it was him that told Lifton, to his surprise, that the "head went forward" between frames 312 and 313, something no one had noticed before up to that point.
(This post was last modified: 2019-04-21, 04:01 PM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Typoz, Oleo, Doug, Stan Woolley

• View a Printable Version