Should we permit interviews on non-core subjects, esp AIDS/HIV?

191 Replies, 21696 Views

Vortex, I appreciate very much all the efforts you've made here. And those are a list of terrific questions - but they are about science in general. And very little about psi - question 15 seems to be the ony one. As such, I don't think it is fit for a Psience Quest interview - we are defining ourselves first and foremost as a psi forum.

However I personally would have no problem with you making this interview and posting it on the forum, but in another category like Alternative Views on Science or Other Stuff, and not labelled as a Psience Quest interview, but as Vortex's interview with H. B.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Laird
(2017-09-28, 02:56 PM)Vortex Wrote: To prevent further speculation, here I post a provisional plan of the interview, so everyone can understand what kind of questions I will ask to Henry Bauer:

So, these are the kind of questions I will ask him if my interview is approved.

No questions about the specific point of our site? The meaning and definition of "scientific" proof, and how this may or may not relate to the "scientific" study of psi? I mean, isn't THAT the core issue that we should be trying to gt at? Isn't that the only relevant (to PQ) angle here?
(2017-09-28, 08:47 AM)Chris Wrote: It seems that people are going to post HIV/AIDS denialist propaganda here anyway, whether or not Henry Bauer is interviewed about it.

For the reasons I've already explained, I'm going to withdraw now.
No they won't, Chris. I'm formally asking not to discuss Bauer's theories here, because it's not content that fits this thread or this subforum.

Such posts were moved to a thread in the CT subforum.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 03:13 PM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Doug
Now I want ask a question to all of you: DO YOU APPROVE THE INTERVIEW WITH HENRY BAUER OR NOT?

Please let's resolve this situation one way or another.

If you do not, I will contact him and tell about your decision, so no interview will be made.

I just want to add: by disinviting him, you miss a lot. This man is one of the very best in Science and Techology Studies (STS) - even his opponents accept it.

And he is one of the most prominent figures in the Society of the Scientific Exploration (SSE) - one of its founders, in fact - and was among its leadership for all its history, and the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the Scientific Exploration (JSE) for some time. Does it destroy SSE and JSE in your eyes? And does it destroy the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, where Bauer is Professor and Dean Emeritus and the founder of its STS course?

Whether you accept his position on HIV-AIDS or not, his other positions still should be judged separately. And his possible interview will be on his positions beyond HIV-AIDS controversy.

So, I'm waiting for your decision.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vortex's post:
  • Oleo
(2017-09-28, 03:12 PM)Vortex Wrote: Now I want ask a question to all of you: DO YOU APPROVE THE INTERVIEW WITH HENRY BAUER OR NOT?

Vortex, I answered your question in my post no 143. It is not approved for a PQ Interview. But if you wish to do the interview in your own name, for another subforum than PQ interviews, then you can.
(2017-09-28, 03:12 PM)Vortex Wrote: Now I want ask a question to all of you: DO YOU APPROVE THE INTERVIEW WITH HENRY BAUER OR NOT?

If you do not, I will contact him and tell about your decision, so no interview will be made.

I just want to add: by disinviting him, you miss a lot. This man is one of the very best in Science and Techology Studies (STS) - even his opponents accept it.

And he is one of the most prominent figures in the Society of the Scientific Exploration (SSE) - one of its founders, in fact - and was among its leadership for all its history, and the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the Scientific Exploration (JSE) for some time. Does it destroy SSE and JSE in your eyes? And does it destroy the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, where Bauer is Professor and Dean Emeritus and the founder of its STS course?

Whether you accept his position on HIV-AIDS or not, his other positions still should be judged separately. And his possible interview will be on his positions beyond HIV-AIDS controversy.

So, I'm waiting for your decision.

I vote for not making it seem like forum consensus needs to be reached within one day. Where is the urgency in this decision? If it takes another day or so reach a consensus then what is the harm. 

There is another thread to discuss this specific issue about HB. I suggest you make your case there.
(2017-09-28, 03:02 PM)Ninshub Wrote: Vortex, I appreciate very much all the efforts you've made here. And those are a list of terrific questions - but they are about science in general. And very little about psi - question 15 seems to be the ony one. As such, I don't think it is fit for a Psience Quest interview - we are defining ourselves first and foremost as a psi forum.

However I personally would have no problem with you making this interview and posting it on the forum, but in another category like Alternative Views on Science or Other Stuff, and not labelled as a Psience Quest interview, but as Vortex's interview with H. B.

Ninshub, I didn't notice your post while I was writing my previous one above...

So, I suppose the answer to whether interview with Henry Bauer should be published as one of PQ interviews is NO.

Well, so be it. I'll tell Bauer that our communal decision was not to interview him. He'll understand.

It's better to cancel one interview than to provoke another split of our community - which might happen no matter what communal decision will be reached. I do not want disappointed members leave. This interview is not worth the conflict and animosity it would inevitably bring.

So... The interview with Henry Bauer is cancelled. Case closed. Sad
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-28, 03:22 PM by Vortex.)
(2017-09-28, 03:08 PM)Ninshub Wrote: No they won't, Chris. I'm formally asking not to discuss Bauer's theories here, because it's not content that fits this thread or this subforum.

Such posts were moved to a thread in the CT subforum.

Thank you very much. That addresses my concerns about providing a platform for HIV/AIDS denialism. Perhaps it would also be fair to move my specific criticisms of one of his papers:
http://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-41...ml#pid7477
[-] The following 2 users Like Guest's post:
  • Roberta, Ninshub
(2017-09-28, 03:20 PM)Vortex Wrote: Ninshub, I didn't notice your post while I was writing my previous one above...

So, I suppose the answer to whether interview with Henry Bauer should be published as one of PQ interviews is NO.

Well, so be it. I'll tell Bauer that our communal decision was not to interview him. He'll understand.

It's better to cancel one interview than to provoke another split of our community - which might happen no matter what communal decision will be reached. I do not want disappointed members leave. This interview is not worth the conflict and animosity it would inevitably bring.

So... The interview with Henry Bauer is cancelled. Case closed. Sad

I think what Ian is saying is that the interview can't be posted in the main interview forum. 

Plus I'm a little concerned that someone with his credentials is not able to be interviewed at all.
[-] The following 3 users Like chuck's post:
  • Ninshub, Stan Woolley, Doug
Question for the admins-

Have we ever created a statement of purpose? A charter? or some other piece that describes the purpose of the forum?

If not, wouldn't that make sense? 

Without that what do we point to in order to explain why some things are a fit and others aren't?

I don't want to start a whole new ruckus,, I just think it would make sense to have something concrete we could all point to when trying to justify embracing some topics and not others. 

Otherwise we are all just shadowboxing aren't we?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jkmac's post:
  • Ninshub

• View a Printable Version