Psience Quest

Full Version: Explorers of the "Afterlife" through OBE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are a lot of classic OBE/astral travel books out there. Some are more how-to books or guides, some share journeys and "mapping" the other dimensions. I'm trying to gather a list of those who provide the latter.

So far I have these names:
Robert Monroe
Jurgen Ziewe
William Bulhman
Kurt Leland
Rosalind McKnight
Bruce Moen

Are there any others?

Robert Bruce, Graham Nicholls, Luis Minero have written more on the former topic, I think. Can anyone point out to me if I'm wrong here?

Has Tom Campbell's theorizing involved OBE journeying of his own?

Also, if anyone has explored these authors, have you found them largely to be compatible, or not? Any thoughts welcome.
(2019-12-29, 07:41 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]There are a lot of classic OBE/astral travel books out there. Some are more how-to books or guides, some share journeys and "mapping" the other dimensions. I'm trying to gather a list of those who provide the latter.

So far I have these names:
Robert Monroe
Jurgen Ziewe
William Bulhman
Kurt Leland
Rosalind McKnight
Bruce Moen

Are there any others?

Robert Bruce, Graham Nicholls, Luis Minero have written more on the former topic, I think. Can anyone point out to me if I'm wrong here?

Has Tom Campbell's theorizing involved OBE journeying of his own?

Also, if anyone has explored these authors, have you found them largely to be compatible, or not? Any thoughts welcome.

I'll see if I can think of any more, Ian. Nicholas Fraise (French guy) comes to mind. Does Eben Alexander count ? He claims to revisit these realms all the time assisted by meditation techniques (sacred acoustics) . There's a German woman, Anke Evertz who was very badly burned (but you wouldn't think so now) and had a profound OBE/NDE. Maybe she's not quite in the right category, though.
So as not to hijack Ian's thread, I've moved the discussion I started re our OOBE Resources wiki page to a new thread: Ideas for the skeletal "OOBE Resources" page on our wiki.
Emmanuel Swedenborg, one of the greatest scientists of his time who later became an OOB explorer.

wiki blurb: Swedenborg had a prolific career as an inventor and scientist. In 1741, at 53, he entered into a spiritual phase in which he began to experience dreams and visions, beginning on Easter Weekend, on 6 April 1744. It culminated in a "spiritual awakening" in which he received a revelation that he was appointed by the Lord Jesus Christ to write The Heavenly Doctrine to reform Christianity.[6] According to The Heavenly Doctrine, the Lord had opened Swedenborg's spiritual eyes so that from then on, he could freely visit heaven and hell to converse with angels, demons and other spirits and the Last Judgment had already occurred the year before, in 1757.[7] According to Swedenborg, we leave the physical world once, but then go through several lives in the spiritual world — a kind of hybrid of Christian tradition and the popular view of reincarnation.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emanuel_Swedenborg#cite_note-8][/url]
I don't know if it's well-established, though, that he practised OBE in the contemporary sense. I don't know enough about him to answer that question though.
(2019-12-31, 01:42 AM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if it's well-established, though, that he practised OBE in the contemporary sense. I don't know enough about him to answer that question though.
As regards the other kind of vision-being carried away by the spirit into another place-it has been shown me by living experience what it is, and how it is done, but only two or three times. One single experience I may mention. Walking through the streets of a city and through the country, and being at the same time also in conversation with spirits, I did not know but that I was wide awake and saw as at other times, so that I walked on without mistake, and all the time being in vision, seeing groves, rivers, palaces, houses, men, and many other things. But after I had thus walked for hours, suddenly I was in the sight of the body, and became aware that I was in another place. Greatly amazed at this, I perceived that I had been in such a state as they were in of whom it is said that they were "led away by the spirit into another place;" for while this state lasts there is no reflection concerning the way, even if it be many miles; nor is there reflection concerning the time, even if it be many hours or days; nor is there any feeling of fatigue. Moreover the person is led through ways of which he has no knowledge, even to the appointed place. This took place that I might know that a man can be led by the Lord without his knowing whence and whither. (Heavenly Arcana, n. 1882-1884)

It was a rare occurrence for him, the majority of his experiences were sudden visions.
Ingo Swann and Keith "Blue" Harary ?
(2019-12-31, 05:07 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Ingo Swann and Keith "Blue" Harary ?
In terms of adding names to OOBE Resources page, Harary fits the bill.

Ingo Swann appears to have done some out of body experience experiments but he's principally known for remote viewing. It can be confusing because some internet sources will label "remote viewing" as out-of-body experiences, when it's a distinct phenomenon.
(2019-12-31, 06:07 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of adding names to OOBE Resources page, Harary fits the bill.

Ingo Swann appears to have done some out of body experience experiments but he's principally known for remote viewing. It can be confusing because some internet sources will label "remote viewing" as out-of-body experiences, when it's a distinct phenomenon.
 Yes, I agree, Ian.